Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Plastic Door Sills
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
thomasotten
I was just browsing the 100+ pages of members cars and I came across this photo. What really stuck out to me was the lack of door sill plastic on this car, giving it a clean apearance. Were door sills not standard on european models? Mine are black, crapy, and warped.

user posted image
MecGen
Hi
I don't know if they were standard issue or not...
But lots of people take them off, I thought about it
Later
Joe

beerchug.gif
Root_Werks
The door sills hide seams in the metal. I like this look of a clean no-sill cover myself. Really nice.

Weld them up, grind them flat and paint!

All 914's had sills. wink.gif
CptTripps
I'm not sure...

I thought about deleting mine while I had the tub down to metal, I think if you are re-doing the whole car, it's an option. I don't think that it was ever a FACTORY option though...

thomasotten
I'm, afraid to look under mine...
dakotaewing
Don't forget that there were some years that the sills were made from aluminum... There is a vendor in resources that sells repos that are VERY nice -
No afilliation...Ya da ya da

Thom
Root_Werks
QUOTE (thomasotten @ Jun 8 2005, 01:37 PM)
I'm, afraid to look under mine...

Usually just under them isn't ever really bad if they have any rust at all. Taking them off usually shows the original color of the car, or just shinny paint. I was thinking of leaving mine off. The cars sit so low, I don't see how people can scrape up the sill area. Look at 944's, they don't have sills in that area.

I think VW/Porsche put sills there because it was cheaper than finishing two more seams on the car. Think about this:

How many finished seams does a 914 have?

Anyone? Beuller? unsure.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.