Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Early Parking Brake Lever Repair Kit
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
ChrisFoley
Ed and I have made and tested an incredibly ingenious fix for the most common failure of the articulating parking brake handle, where the flat spring breaks off the actuating rod.

Installation requires removal of the handle from the longitudinal but does not require any other disassembly. The repair piece is easily installed in minutes. Once re-installed in the car the repair is unnoticeable and works perfectly.

I am prepared to do a group buy, minimum of 50, at $19.95 each, delivered.
I'll figure out the added shipping cost for Canadian and European customers and I'll post those prices here asap.

Credit goes to Ed (ejm) for the basic idea and implementation. I merely developed it into a convenient system for manufacture and easy installation.

idea.gif shades.gif smilie_pokal.gif
theer
Chris, I'd take one for $20.

Tom
don-6
I need one

Don
914 RZ-1
Are you referring to the spring that keeps the pawl engaged so that the handle stays up when pulled up?
RAX914
I'll take one
autopro
I'm in for one.

Thanks!
ChrisFoley
QUOTE(914 RZ-1 @ May 3 2018, 12:05 PM) *

Are you referring to the spring that keeps the pawl engaged so that the handle stays up when pulled up?

More correctly, when the spring works properly the brake stays on when the forward section of the handle pivots back down.
The later single piece handles don't have this feature.
worn
QUOTE(Racer Chris @ May 3 2018, 08:22 AM) *

the very common failure of early parking brake handles.

Ed and I have made and tested an incredibly ingenious fix for the most common failure of the articulating parking brake handle, where the flat spring breaks off the actuating rod.

Installation requires removal of the handle from the longitudinal but does not require any other disassembly. The repair piece is easily installed in minutes. Once re-installed in the car the repair is unnoticeable and works perfectly.

I am prepared to do a group buy, minimum of 50, at $19.95 each, delivered. Regular price will be $25.95.

Credit goes to Ed (ejm) for the basic idea and implementation. I merely developed it into a convenient system for manufacture and easy installation.

idea.gif shades.gif smilie_pokal.gif

Yes! The folding handle is a neat feature. The button flying off the end like a missile always reminds me of a toy cannon I used to have. I have rewelded springs before, but the tempering is hit/miss. Thank you Sir!
walterolin
One.
johnhora
Chris...I will take one...Thanks
whitetwinturbo

What years does this handle design cover? popcorn[1].gif
ChrisFoley
QUOTE(whitetwinturbo @ May 3 2018, 01:49 PM) *

What years does this handle design cover? popcorn[1].gif

Up to end of model yr. '72, including all sixes.
db9146
I'm in for one.
Porschef
Nice work, Chris and Ed. beerchug.gif

Mort needs one, badly. dry.gif
raynekat
Please....gimme gimme. I'll take one thx.
BeatNavy
I'm in for one. Thanks, Chris.
AndyB
Hey Chris, I will take one and Injunmort will take two. Thanks

Andy
Mike Fitton
If we are talking about the piece I have circled below then I am in for one.

Click to view attachment
ChrisFoley
QUOTE(Mike Fitton @ May 4 2018, 02:57 PM) *

If we are talking about the piece I have circled below then I am in for one.

Click to view attachment

I'm not actually making a replacement for that piece Mike. There's no inexpensive way to reproduce it and it takes a bit of work to remove/install.
Essentially my part is a substitute for that broken flat spring, installed externally but is inconspicuous (near invisible).
It completely solves the problem caused by that piece breaking, and is quite easy to install.
We put the prototype in an original six this week. It works perfectly, and is unlikely to ever fail.
Owners of really high value concours perfect cars may be reluctant to use it but for the rest of us I see no issues at all.
1adam12
Well, mine doesn't engage at all on my '72 so what the heck I'll take one!
ChrisFoley
I'll use this post to list the people who are in the group buy.
When we get close to 50 I'll create a Paypal button to start taking orders and I'll acquire the materials needed to assemble kits.

Members in the group buy:
theer
don-6
RAX 914
autopro
worn
walterolin
johnhora
db9146
raynekat
#10 BeatNavy
AndyB
Injunmort (2)
Mike Fitton
1adam12
ClayPerrine
rktmn247
motofoto
clapeza
#20 dr914
rgalla9146
Kuhne85018
jesse7flying
ClayPerrine
I had to take out the early breakaway handle and put in a late one to get the car to pass state inspection.

Count me in for one.

Clay
rktmn247
I'm in for one. Thanks.
motofoto
Need one!
clapeza
Add me in.
ChrisFoley
icon_bump.gif
dr914@autoatlanta.com
is this the rod with the spring clip attached, a duplicate of the original nla part, Chris? We used to sell the HELL out of them, now just have a bunch of useless early hand brakes. Still have hundreds of the original factory rivets used to put them back together after installing the new rod. If you have duplicated this rod with spring clip, I would be happy to purchase 20 of them from you
ChrisFoley
QUOTE(dr914@autoatlanta.com @ May 11 2018, 09:41 AM) *

is this the rod with the spring clip attached, a duplicate of the original nla part, Chris? We used to sell the HELL out of them, now just have a bunch of useless early hand brakes. Still have hundreds of the original factory rivets used to put them back together after installing the new rod. If you have duplicated this rod with spring clip, I would be happy to purchase 20 of them from you

As I mentioned above George, I'm not trying to reproduce the rod. That's a lot more complicated than one might imagine.
This is a simple, elegant workaround. If originality isn't necessary you can't beat what we've come up with.
The product will be so easy to install that the hardest part is removing the lever from the car.
dr914@autoatlanta.com
so can you explain what you have come up with and a picture of it? As I said, we have a lot of these handbrakes without the spring clip and would really like to repair them all

QUOTE(Racer Chris @ May 11 2018, 07:10 AM) *

QUOTE(dr914@autoatlanta.com @ May 11 2018, 09:41 AM) *

As I mentioned above George, I'm not trying to reproduce the rod. That's a lot more complicated than one might imagine.
This is a simple, elegant workaround. If originality isn't necessary you can't beat what we've come up with.
The product will be so easy to install that the hardest part is removing the lever from the car.

ChrisFoley
QUOTE(dr914@autoatlanta.com @ May 11 2018, 10:26 AM) *

so can you explain what you have come up with and a picture of it? As I said, we have a lot of these handbrakes without the spring clip and would really like to repair them all

I've already given as thorough an explanation as I intend to for now.
Page 1, posts 1 and 19 have enough details to determine if it's something you would like to use.
After that you'll have to trust me. shades.gif
ChrisFoley
icon_bump.gif
rgalla9146
Hey Chris
I'm in.
Other than that it works... is there something that reveals that it's not original ?
Rory
ChrisFoley
QUOTE(rgalla9146 @ May 17 2018, 08:32 PM) *

Hey Chris
I'm in.
Other than that it works... is there something that reveals that it's not original ?
Rory

A 914 expert could find it. If carefully finished, no one else would realize it's not part of the original assembly.
Kuhne85018
I am in!!!
jesse7flying
I'll take one.
Jesse
Gizmo1
I want one! Are they currently available ?
mepstein
QUOTE(Gizmo1 @ Dec 29 2018, 08:34 PM) *

I want one! Are they currently available ?

Call Chris or email through his site.
wvspin2
If this solves the flashing brake light put me in for one. beerchug.gif
orthobiz
I will take one. Don't need it but the way things have been going lately, I surely will!

Paul
jhynesrockmtn
For those who stumble on this and are looking for any install tips I did this yesterday and couldn't find a post where someone fit this to their car. Maybe I missed it. Anyway, here is my report.

I ended up taking the handle off. It's easy to do and makes working with it easier.

I welded mine. I'm not a great welder as I'm a newby but it worked ok.

Make sure you leave enough room for adjustment. I was worried I had fit mine too snug but a couple of turns of the screw and it works fine.

The pics in the instructions show the racheting segment removed to show where to place the repair piece but I welded the piece in with everything together to get proper fitment and I don't think you can install it after the fact.

I show it in the car exposed but if you still have the rubber cover for the lower part of the handle it covers everything nicely. I may paint it eventually but for now it matches the patina of the rest of the car :-)

I also just finished a very extensive fuel system refresh using Chris's SS lines and fuel pump mount. This is the first fill up after all of that work.

Works great!

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment
Dehcho
Are these still available?
Dehcho
[quote name='Racer Chris' date='May 3 2018, 08:22 AM' post='2605354']

I am prepared to do a group buy, minimum of 50, at $19.95 each, delivered. Regular price will be $25.95.
I'll figure out the added shipping cost for Canadian and European customers and I'll post those prices here asap.

Are these still available?

Thank you
ChrisFoley
Yes. You have to send an email to me. c.foley@tangerineracing.com
RiqueMar
QUOTE(ChrisFoley @ Aug 1 2021, 01:20 PM) *

Yes. You have to send an email to me. c.foley@tangerineracing.com

Glad this thread was resurrected, Just found my original parking brake and figuring it all out now. emailing you as well bye1.gif
Dehcho
are these still available?
RiqueMar
QUOTE(Dehcho @ Aug 6 2021, 01:26 PM) *

@Dehcho - I emailed christopher.foley@tangerineracing.com - he responds very quickly.
Dehcho
QUOTE(RiqueMar @ Aug 9 2021, 02:08 PM) *

QUOTE(Dehcho @ Aug 6 2021, 01:26 PM) *

@Dehcho - I emailed christopher.foley@tangerineracing.com - he responds very quickly.

Thanks very much.. I have one on order now..

Cheers

Brett
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.