Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: How to hot wire a 914
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
troth
Think my ignition switch is dead. Stranded at work. Think I can reach my fingers in to pull the plugs behind the switch. Looking at Bowlsby wiring diagrams. In the meantime... Any tips so I don’t fry myself?

1975 1.8L

Edit-
Problem solved, see post 11.
troth
Got it running. But need power to turn signals, headlights, etc...

Is that the thick grey wire on the plug? Checking diagrams again...
JeffBowlsby
Lets us know what you did, which wires you needed to jumper.

1 Red is 12V from the battery.
65 Yellow/Red goes to the seatbelt interlock
troth
To get it running I jumpered 1 to 62/63. I think this is same as switch in “on” position. To trigger the starter I jumpered 1 to 65 at the same time. This got it started and running. Not sure how to power the lights now. I hope I didn’t blow the relay when fiddling... all fuses on the fuse block are good.
JeffBowlsby
Did you need to momentarily jump 1 to 65? 65 goes to the seatbelt interlock and I think it ultimately goes to the starter.
troth
QUOTE(Jeff Bowlsby @ May 4 2018, 12:20 AM) *

Did you need to momentarily jump 1 to 65? 65 goes to the seatbelt interlock and I think it ultimately goes to the starter.

Correct. While the black/red wire was jumpered to red power, I also cranked the starter with the red power to yellow jump.

Still stuck with no lights. Beginning to think I fucked my relay. headbang.gif
JRust
Those ignition switches suck. They are also cheap from Pelican. I always keep 2 spares in my glove box. If I don't need one. A buddy is bound to LOL
JeffBowlsby
10A red goes to the headlight switch. You might find lights there.
troth
Jeff you are the man. Time for a beer now I’ll give details in the morning
Chris914n6
HLs are the black wire.

Best thing is to carry a spare switch that you can just plug in.
troth
This is a nice party trick. My girlfriend was very impressed. Almost impressed enough to make up for the fact that it didn’t start in the first place...

A note to thieves: you still need the key in the cylinder otherwise the wheel will lock like normal.

You’re going to need two wires. Tie one end of each wire together. I had some small male connectors I keep in the car with my wiring kit which are helpful to keep everything from falling apart.

Click to view attachment

Step 1 is to remove this plug from the back of the cylinder. You have to stick your head up under the dash to see it. A flat head screwdriver is helpful for this if you can fit your fingers up in there.

Click to view attachment

Step 1.5 make sure you’re in neutral with the handbrake on! Ask me how I know.

Step 2 plug your double end of the wire into the terminal corresponding to red wire #1 (terminal #30) on the diagram. This plug is always “hot” with (relayed?) power coming from the battery, so be careful to not let the other ends of the wire short out on any grounds in the area.

Step 3 plug one of the other ends of your wire into the terminal corresponding to black/red wire #62/63 (terminal #15). This sends power to your ignition system. You should hear the turn signal relay clicking when you plug this in. If not, put the car in neutral and put the handbrake on you dummy!!!

Step 4 touch (do not plug in) the other wire end to the terminal corresponding to yellow wire #65 (terminal #50). This cranks the starter. Just touch the wires together. Don’t plug it in all the way unless you normally drive around while holding the key in the cranking position.

Step 5 plug the free end of the wire you were just using in step 4 into the terminal corresponding to red wire #10A (terminal #X). This gives power to all your lights and turn signals.

That’s it. Pretty simple even a hack like me can figure it out. To turn the car off, just yank out all the wires. I don’t think you can just carry a spare switch and plug it in unless you also carry a second key to keep in the original switch to prevent the wheel from locking.

Thanks Jeff for the diagram and the help. I owe you a beer.
Unobtanium-inc
How to hot wire a Porsche?
Same way you get to Carnegie Hall, practice, practice, practice.
jim_hoyland
Nice ! Thanks for the step by step instructions... smile.gif
73-914
no worries, millenials will never find 1st gear anyway
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.