Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: 914/8 #2
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Cal
Interesting article and discussion / comments......

https://bringatrailer.com/2018/05/04/unobta...-porsche-914-8/
porschetub
QUOTE(Cal @ May 5 2018, 02:14 PM) *

Thinking what the family thought when the good DR said he wasn't too happy with it,jeez think about it all that power ,the upper RPM it must have a been a touch loud and a car requiring driver concentration of 100%.
Anyone know what the gearbox was ???
Chris H.
QUOTE(porschetub @ May 6 2018, 01:25 AM) *

Thinking what the family thought when the good DR said he wasn't too happy with it,jeez think about it all that power ,the upper RPM it must have a been a touch loud and a car requiring driver concentration of 100%.

I read elsewhere that he really liked that car and drove it fairly regularly for a while. It would be quite a handful if you weren't careful.
73-914
i would bet, it's the same 1 as the 908
rgalla9146
Mark Donahue used the term 'unobtanium ' to describe material used on Porsche race cars.
With 18,000 made, 356 Porsches are not 'unobtanium'
mepstein
QUOTE(porschetub @ May 6 2018, 02:25 AM) *

QUOTE(Cal @ May 5 2018, 02:14 PM) *

908 engine and gearbox. custom exhaust. shortened trunk bulkhead to fit the engine. The car looks fairly stock but was actually modified quite a bit.
rgalla9146
Luke Martini posted pictures of the bottom of one of these care at the Porsche Museum.
The transmission mount is part of the trans casting but on the side of the case.
A 908 gearbox ? The pics are here somewhere.
The exhaust is really intricate.
Montreal914
I always liked the way they positioned the shifter.

Photo from Pbase website:

Click to view attachment
Dr Evil
I got to see this at Ameila Island two years ago and took lots of pics of the underside, gearbox. It is amazing how cobbled together some of it looked. Basically, make it work! The gear box looked like a hybrid of the 915 and 901. I cant remember much else and pics are on home computer. Ill see if I can find them later. Definitely one of the coolest 914s.
Montreal914
popcorn[1].gif
stownsen914
I think I read once that the 908 gearbox shared parts with the 915. Even though the 915 hadn't been invented yet ... Maybe they based the 915 partly on the 908 gearbox?

This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.