Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Bumper dilemma
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
ratrustle
I'm working on my 1974 2.0 and need some advice. The previous owner painted the front and rear bumpers black. I hated them this color and wanted them back to their original chrome so I stripped the paint off only to find that they have a few dents covered with bondo which was the reason they were painted black!

I'm trying to figure out whether it makes more sense to have these rechromed -- they're in pretty good shape other than the small dings.

The chrome plater quoted me a price of $400 each for the front and rear bumpers. I still need to get the top bumper pads for both of these bumpers so I'm quickly approaching $1200 just to get rid of the black paint -- Doh!!!!

Or is there a source for new or aftermarket chrome bumpers somewhere?

Anyone have any used ones out there?

Any thoughts?
gregrobbins
Check around for a better price. Papago Plating here in Phoenix will do bumpers for $225 each.
TravisNeff
Greg that is a killer price, from what I have heard the $400 seems the average. I'll be surely looking them up one of these days.
gregrobbins
Travis, that is where AZBill got his redone. Thought they did a great job.
boxstr
I would think that the reason they quoted you $400 each is to get the bumpers in shape to be chromed. Many years ago, I found black bumpers at a great price. Took them tothe chromer and the call later was they are full of bondo. Cost high, to remove bondo and straighten them to get them worthy of chrome.
Moral, chrome only chrome bumpers, paint black bumpers black.
CCLINCHROMENOTBILLET
messix
sounds high. i know of a plater in seattle in george town. i wont be able to get the number till monday. might be in the phone book.

any way this guy did my buddies show car. very good quality for the price.

are you handy with metal work? bumpers are just like doing body work... just bigger hammers and use some heat from a torch. then use a grinder and sand flat and smooth.
messix
p.s the more work you due the less the bill.
boxstr
The more work you do , the more work the chrome shop has to do to get it ready to chrome. I have had this discussion with Rose City and Oregon plating and they have told me that sure you can do the work on it, but you risk screwing up motre than fixing anything.
If you are painting the bumper then bang away, your going to fill with bondo and sand and paint, but chroming is not the same.
Go into a chrome shop and talk to them about what you want to do. They work on them all day long, they might now a thing or two.
CCLINBUMPERMAN
ConeDodger
I just had a patient yesterday that I asked what he did for a living just before I slipped him off to sleep. Turns out he owns a plating and polishing shop here in Sacramento. I am taking my 240Z bumpers to him next week. I need to acquire some earlier bumpers before I can have him do 914 bumpers.
The last set I had done were Z car as well and they were about $500 for two, the rear was mangled and I was amazed at how well it turned out.
Shop around.

Rob
ratrustle
Yeah, these bumpers have a bit of bondo in them -- not too much though. The real issue seems like the person who did the work didn't prep them very well so the paint is flaking off and the chrome was showing through.

I would love to find a chrome plating business in Seattle or Portland that does this work for a reasonable cost.

If you know of one, send me a msg.

thanks

Rhett Russell

This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.