Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: New Guy
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pages: 1, 2
Yellowbeard
Man, the last decent 914 site I knew of was the Renegage 914 club and it seems to have died years ago. I have a 1973 1.8 that (AFAIK) has been rebuilt to a 1.9 (though I haven't verified this in any way). I built the car (actually it is my second, the forst being a '72 with a blown head and a bad tranny that was more rust than car - first car I ever bought - man did I get the shaft) when I was 17 and am now revisiting it at 30. I used it is a daily driver on an off through college. Now I am thinking about making it faster/better. I just looked at the car and it has my imagination running. Doesn't seem to have too much rust on it (although one of the legs of the driver's seat has punched through the floor - does anyone know if this means I necessarily need a new pan or can that be patched?). Thinking about buying a hotter engine from some of the places I have found on the interweb that offer suped up type IVs.

Any advice would be well appreciated. Glad to have found a bunch of 914 heads to talk to!
sgomes
Welcome to the madness! screwy.gif finger.gif oopss I mean... um... wavey.gif

I'll let the next guy post the : t t i w w p : smilie rolleyes.gif
GWN7
Hello and welcome beerchug.gif

You have come to the right place. We will help you spend your hard earned $$ on all the right things. wink.gif biggrin.gif
morgan
Welcome to the board

John wavey.gif
TurtleGirl
Hi Yellowbeard! Welcome to the club!!!! You'll find MANY resources and off the wall stuff here, that should be enough to keep you busy!

driving-girl.gif
TurtleGirl
QUOTE (sgomes @ Jun 8 2005, 06:09 PM)

I'll let the next guy post the : t t i w w p : smilie rolleyes.gif

Ya mean this one? thisthreadisworthlesswithoutpics.gif
ChrisFoley
Welcome to the insane asylum. laugh.gif happy11.gif
The floor can be patched, but if you find a lot more swiss cheese when you start poking a replacement panel may be in order. Repro pieces are available from Restoration Design.

SpecialK
Only way to know the condition of the floor is to get the carpets out and start pokin' around. You'll definitely want to take a good look at the longs, and suspension area, particularly beneath the battery tray on the passenger side. And as requested:

thisthreadisworthlesswithoutpics.gif

Edit: Crap headbang.gif I definitely need to learn to type faster!

Welcome to the club Yellowbeard! beer.gif
Elliot_Cannon
Welcome to the club. You've come to the right place. This club has saved me a lot of time and money. Lotsa good people here. Too bad you missed our 2005 West Coast Classic. Do you like Tequila??
It would help someone diagnose you problems with the car if you included some pics. Especially rust problems.
Cheers, Elliot
TravisNeff
The floor can be patched. However you will want to remove the tar on the floor. A heat gun and a putty knife works great. You will also see if the floors are rotting underneat the tar - to see how extensive your repair work will need to be.

Welcome to the club!
Yellowbeard
Jeesh - 5 minutes and I get 8 replies.

I can already see I have found heaven. I sure wish the interweb would have existed 13 years ago when I got into this mess.

I will answer everyone at once:

Thanks for the advice on the floor (to all). I sorta knew the answer before I posted. The floor pan looks fantastic from the bottom (other than that seat tie-down poking through) but this car has always had a small leak through the driver's side front window targa seal (an aftermarket part I bought from AA which I have regretted since the moment I got it). My big worry is that I will pull up the tar and find a mess on the top side - that would suck.

I also need to look seriously at the wheel well under the battery tray (did I see someone call that the "hell hole"?) AFAIK, it's not terrible, but I know there is at least /some/ rust down there.

None of my numbers match and the car is really hodge-podged together. I have oft thought that I should sell it and start with something closer to where I want to be but i have so much blood, sweat and tears in this car (literally, as I am sure you all know) that I am loathe to part with it. Plus it was a Texas car and really does seem to be in pretty decent shape.

I hope no one minds lots of questions, and if you have any advice, as I said, I would love to hear it.

First thing I need to do is finish putting some FI on (I want to say it's D-Jet, and am pretty sure that's right but it's been a while). Anyone have any advice about where I should start? It's been 10 months since I have driven the thing, but I seem to remember that it tends to die when it's idling....

I'll be looking into it over the next few months and checking back and forth.

Thanks all! You have made me feel very welcome.

YB
dakotaewing
As mentioned above you missed the West Coast Classic -
However a closer version(MUSR) is just a few months away...
See the nailed post at the top of the page, or hit the link in my sig -
And by the way -welcome to the "club" biggrin.gif

TE
Yellowbeard
Oh - here's another thing:

I had convinced myself (almost) that I wanted to go to 6 cylinder power (mostly because I think I have a line on a decently-priced 6) but then started looking at other options. Does anyone know Jake Raby's work?

It would be nice (for once in the life of the car) to have some power and a decently running, reliable engine. I have toyed with the idea of buying a kit and rebuilding myself (though I have too many things on back-burners already) or just buying something reasonably performance and bolting it in.

Any advice on where I would buy a hot(ter) 4 that could just go right in?
SpecialK
Jake's a respected and frequent poster to the club, he definitely knows his stromberg.gif when it comes to Type IVs.

[been dying to use that emocon happy11.gif ]
Bleyseng
QUOTE (Yellowbeard @ Jun 8 2005, 05:33 PM)
Oh - here's another thing:

I had convinced myself (almost) that I wanted to go to 6 cylinder power (mostly because I think I have a line on a decently-priced 6) but then started looking at other options. Does anyone know Jake Raby's work?

It would be nice (for once in the life of the car) to have some power and a decently running, reliable engine. I have toyed with the idea of buying a kit and rebuilding myself (though I have too many things on back-burners already) or just buying something reasonably performance and bolting it in.

Jake Raby's engines seem to be the real deal. Bring money

Installing a six the right way-bring even more money.

Moral-Getting HP for a 914 costs lots of money

To answer your first question- Where did this club come from? Its the effort of a International group of guys who had been kicked off other club sites. biggrin.gif
URY914
Welcome!

Just between you and me, most of these assholes don't know shit.biggrin.gif

But we'll try to help you anyway. confused24.gif sad.gif beerchug.gif

Paul
jd74914
QUOTE (Yellowbeard @ Jun 8 2005, 07:33 PM)

Email Jake. He really knows the typeIV and can build them blindfolded. pray.gif In addition to that he gives great engine advise to pretty much anyone who asks a question that he sees.

Lastly, we need some pics!! rolleyes.gif
jd74914
QUOTE (URY914 @ Jun 8 2005, 07:46 PM)
Welcome!

Paul

Jeeze. Thats supposed to be a secret cool.gif
redshift
Welcome to the club!

beerchug.gif

Miles
MoveQik
Welcome beerchug.gif

Redshift - Best mugshot avatar ever! lol2.gif
Allan
wavey.gif You related to Redbeard???
Yellowbeard
QUOTE (Headrage @ Jun 8 2005, 05:19 PM)
wavey.gif  You related to Redbeard???

Not that I know of. wink.gif

I think I need to have some children to be a part of this forum. I just got married in April, so I will probably have some coming along soon.

balljoint
Oi 'ave acute 'earing.

I don't care about your jewellery man.

Welcome to the club.

Stagger, stagger, crawl crawl
Verruckt
QUOTE (Yellowbeard @ Jun 8 2005, 07:25 PM)

I think I need to have some children to be a part of this forum. I just got married in April, so I will probably have some coming along soon.

Wait on the children. They will only prolong the "jackstand phase" which can last as little as 2 days (in CptTripps case) to as long as 8 1/2 years. Spend all your money on the car now before you have to buy diapers and braces and dance lessons. wink.gif
tat2dphreak
Welcome!

we are here to help... givemebeer.gif wavey.gif
jd74914
QUOTE (Verruckt @ Jun 8 2005, 08:28 PM)
QUOTE (Yellowbeard @ Jun 8 2005, 07:25 PM)

Wait on the children. They will only prolong the "jackstand phase" which can last as little as 2 days (in CptTripps case) to as long as 8 1/2 years. Spend all your money on the car now before you have to buy diapers and braces and dance lessons. wink.gif

Then again, you could be like my dad have a kid (or 3) to wrench with you at age 45 wink.gif (Of course, you'd need to loan them money to buy a 914 or two) biggrin.gif
street legal go-kart
Welcome YB!
Paul is correct in that most of us dont know shit.
But we do know 914's!
I also know Jack Shit on a personal basis and Dumb Shit is a close relative. wink.gif

However the info available on this board is a resource not to be underestimated.
Just to give you an idea of my personal bio I have raced everything from blown hydoplanes to sprint cars to off road Score buggies to being a crew member on an unlimited air racer.Most of the people who are in a position to give you good info will be happy to provide bonfides for verification, Mr Raby being up at the top of this list.
If Bradholio ever craws out from under the SOCAL rock he is hiding under {no fair, new job} he also will guide you in the right direction.
The club has a knack for running of possers and ripoffs.
Good luck and once again welcome.
We want to see your car!

JT & Miss Mari
rick 918-S
wavey.gif monkeydance.gif mueba.gif aktion035.gif driving.gif
jim912928
welcome welcome welcome...now post some pics!
Dead Air
QUOTE (URY914 @ Jun 8 2005, 04:46 PM)
Welcome!

Paul

[QUOTE]

Everyone here knows "you can't turbocharge a 1.7"
xsboost90
welcome to the club! post your name info and maybe a progress thread or blog once you get started...these guys love that..oh and pics!
street legal go-kart
Dave ,
I have the perfect turbo for a 1.7 , new in the box w/a waste gate.

JT
Korijo
welcome! smilie_rolli_1.gif

btw, i graduated from Fayetteville H.S. in 93!
go bulldogs smilie_pokal.gif [not Springdale wink.gif ]
jimtab
QUOTE (URY914 @ Jun 8 2005, 04:46 PM)
Welcome!

Paul

Oh....shit I know.....just not 914s.....
messix
actually this site is just some thing that many mental institutions and started to keep the patients from mailing threats to government offices and harassing other institutions.

was started right after they caught the uni bomber

signed charles manson
tat2dphreak
QUOTE (Korijo @ Jun 8 2005, 10:43 PM)

damn dood, I never realized how close in age we are... I gradumatated HS in '94!

hijacked.gif

sorry 'bout that
MoveQik
QUOTE (Yellowbeard @ Jun 8 2005, 05:25 PM)

Conrats on the marriage. However, you may want to wait on kids until your 914 is closer to being done. Regardless of how cute the kids are, they are an instant progress stopper! I made the mistake of tearing mine apart while my daughter was only 2. She is 4 now and the car just got back on the road a month ago. But she is cute(my daughter, not the car) biggrin.gif
Root_Werks
wavey.gif
736conver
Having kids will stall your project. I get one day a week to work on my car. Unless there's family outings then I dont get any car days.
Get your car done now before kids
tat2dphreak
QUOTE (736conver @ Jun 9 2005, 10:19 AM)
Having kids will stall your project. I get one day a week to work on my car. Unless there's family outings then I dont get any car days.
Get your car done now before kids

Hell, I don't have kids and I STILL only get 1-2 days per week... sad.gif
Toast
Welcome to the club! aktion035.gif
I like the avatar! happy11.gif

On the top of every page are Tabs. Use the Classifieds and Club Store to help you shop. Of course, you can always post what you are looking for here, and someone usually throws their parts at ya. smash.gif

Since I'm a younger female without kids, all I will say is hold off for a while so that you can fiddle with the 914 for a bit. They tend to take some of your time and money. wub.gif But just my 2 cents.

Oh, and Congrats on the new Misses! driving-girl.gif

*** You may want to use the "Track this Topic" feature at the top right of this thead because this thread will be off the first page by the end of this day! *** ohmy.gif type.gif
meares
welcome!!! beerchug.gif let us know what we can help you with.......there are some really interesting threads here.....some topical and some off topic.....i check in at least 3x per day!!!
Howard
Welcome! smilie_pokal.gif
Poll. Has YB been here long enough to start Arkansas jokes?
Toast
QUOTE (Howard @ Jun 9 2005, 08:49 AM)

I think so! happy11.gif lol2.gif
tat2dphreak
QUOTE (Howard @ Jun 9 2005, 10:49 AM)

let the sheeplove.gif jokes begin... lol2.gif
Yellowbeard
QUOTE (tat2dphreak @ Jun 9 2005, 07:54 AM)
QUOTE (Howard @ Jun 9 2005, 10:49 AM)
Welcome!  :trophy:
Poll.  Has YB been here long enough to start Arkansas jokes?

let the sheeplove.gif jokes begin... lol2.gif

Oh - I'll start those.

This Arkansas boy goes to his pa and says "Pa, I found this wonderful girl and I want to marry her. She's beautiful, smart, and best of all, she's a virgin."

His pa replies, "Forget it, son. If she's not good enough for her own family, she's not good enough for our'n."
Yellowbeard
QUOTE (Korijo @ Jun 8 2005, 07:43 PM)

Wow. I actually graduated from Charleston, AR in 93 also. Did you go to AGS?

I was born in Fay (my dad was the minister at the Wesley Foundation on the corner of Maple and Leverette) and went to college here (typing from my office in Bell Engineering where I work right this minute, actually).

Do you know Jeff Conway? Enoch Moeller? Jacob Stevenson? Anne Greenwood? They are all a year younger than us, but I went to college with many of them.
Howard
On the way. Wait.
tdgray
HOLY SHIT Howard.......... That is freakin hilarious w00t.gif
jimtab
QUOTE (Howard @ Jun 9 2005, 10:22 AM)
On the way. Wait.

NO MORE CALLS...WE HAVE A WINNER! smilie_pokal.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.