Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Dr Evil DVD
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Creamsicle New Zealand
Hi all
I have recently become aware of a DVD from Dr Evil for transmission rebuilding. My mechanic is starting on a transmission for me, he has not done a 914 box before but is very familiar with VW air cooled transmissions. Thought I would treat him to a DVD which may get him into my job sooner rather than later (if you know what I mean dry.gif )
Does anyone have a copy I could purchase please?
Cheers Steve
ConeDodger
I think you still sells it. It just doesn’t come with the fancy packaging anymore.
worn
QUOTE(ConeDodger @ May 6 2018, 01:52 PM) *

I think you still sells it. It just doesn’t come with the fancy packaging anymore.

Fancy packaging!? Ahh, shucks, I ordered mine at the wrong time. The DVD is certainly helpful as is the Haynes manual, which you probably need anyway. I am almost sure the Dr still sells DVDs. From my perspective, once you get it down the 901s are pretty simple to work with. Now my 911 needs a rebuild on the 915 tranny. sad.gif
ConeDodger
QUOTE(worn @ May 6 2018, 06:03 PM) *

Fancy packaging!? Ahh, shucks, I ordered mine at the wrong time. The DVD is certainly helpful as is the Haynes manual, which you probably need anyway. I am almost sure the Dr still sells DVDs. From my perspective, once you get it down the 901s are pretty simple to work with. Now my 911 needs a rebuild on the 915 tranny. sad.gif

Yikes! I think I put $700 in synchro’s and gears in my 915. Plus the WEVO stuff and the Quaiffe.
Montreal914
I would contact the Dr. himself to get the original video.

Once you get it, watch it, you might decide to undertake the task yourself and save $$$ for other projects smash.gif beer3.gif
porschetub
QUOTE(Montreal914 @ May 7 2018, 10:49 AM) *

I would contact the Dr. himself to get the original video.

Once you get it, watch it, you might decide to undertake the task yourself and save $$$ for other projects smash.gif beer3.gif

Talked to him he's not doing any for a while.
mlindner
Porschetub...if you want to pay for shipping both ways, I will send you my Dr Evill CD's for a short period of time (say 45 days) no other charge. Best, Mark.
mlindner
Both Porschetub and Creamsicle...share the price...Best, Mark
worn
QUOTE(ConeDodger @ May 6 2018, 02:40 PM) *

Yikes! I think I put $700 in synchro’s and gears in my 915. Plus the WEVO stuff and the Quaiffe.

I am blessed with an original LSD.
ConeDodger
QUOTE(worn @ May 6 2018, 09:14 PM) *

QUOTE(ConeDodger @ May 6 2018, 02:40 PM) *

I am blessed with an original LSD.

I like TBD better... biggrin.gif
1adam12
Does anybody have trouble playing disc two of the set? First disc works fine in my xbox (no dvd player in house).
mlindner
1adam12, I have trouble opening both on my MacPro....but after awhile it works. Just not very Mac friendly. Best, Mark
BeatNavy
I definitely struggled to get through the DVD's without the player freezing. I used various cleaning tricks to try and remove scratches, and eventually I "ripped" (I think that's the right term) the files onto my hard drive so I could watch it. It's a little klugey, as the files don't necessarily correspond to chapters, and there's a lot of overlap of content in the files. Someone more knowledgeable than I am with this technology could probably do it much better.

Eventually I got the info I needed to rebuild a gearbox last year. Hope it works smile.gif
Dr Evil
I still make them, just out for right now and not a priority while I am moving my life to a new house. Should be pretty settled this weekend and be able to burn some.

For those with reading errors, why didn't you let me know? I will replace any disk that is not working. I am not DVD savvy. Universally, Mac has been a PITA with my burned disks and I don't know why. One member swore he tried the set in many machines, I threw out $200 worth of disks, bought a new burner....then he admitted it played fine on his friends PC and he had only actually tried it on his Mac dry.gif

I have found that DVD-R were more problematic than DVD+R. I have changed the software as well. I stopped putting labels on them because these caused them to spin off balance in some machines. So, now you get functional DVD with handwritten labels by me.

If there was enough interest, I could look into another professional run with the nice graphics and cases, etc. Eric (cupomeat) did try finding the masters last year sometime when I was looking into this. When I did the first run back in about 2009-10 I was a poor new medschool grad starting residency and couldn't afford to stock up on too many copies. We sold something like 200 in the first month. I retained like 2-3. I wish I could do an addendum to show how to replace bearing races, maybe how to set R/P and backlash even though 99.9% wont have the tools or learned skills. If I knew how to shoot video and post, I would do that and post the addition up on youtube for free. Most likely, this year will find me with a simple web site, investing more into EvilWerks, and I will see about hosting the video addition there as well as selling copies of the disks. I sell the set for $35 shipped in the US.

For the NZ folks, there are copies in country, ask around. I have made a deal with my Aus friends that they send me $20 if they burn a copy. Saves time, cost less, everyone wins. I have gotten a few random $20 payments over time.
bbrock
I'm no expert but used to burn a lot of large data cd/dvd for work. I found that slowing down the rip speed would usually fix problems with disks being finicky to read. From what I read, slower speeds allow the laser to burn deeper into the media. Mileage varies by the burner. Just figured I'd pass that along.
Dr Evil
QUOTE(bbrock @ May 7 2018, 09:44 AM) *

I'm no expert but used to burn a lot of large data cd/dvd for work. I found that slowing down the rip speed would usually fix problems with disks being finicky to read. From what I read, slower speeds allow the laser to burn deeper into the media. Mileage varies by the burner. Just figured I'd pass that along.

Agree. However, with the DVD+R material is not burned off, it is placed on magnetically or some such. DVD-R is laser burning the media, if I understand it. I did manage to track down some glitches to computer having something else running in back ground at same time. I had a dedicated machine until it crapped out. Now, I slow it down, have it double check, and I do run through the chapters. I am completely unfamiliar with the file format.
1adam12
Dr. Evil, Is there a way that you could rip the videos from your DVD and send the video files electronically? Not sure if you have share programs like Dropbox or even Google Drive to send the files. If I had a file version, I could just put it on a thumb drive and plug into my TV. My desktop is a Mac so this might be the best option for me personally instead of buying a new DVD player which may not play either.
Dr Evil
QUOTE(1adam12 @ May 7 2018, 12:03 PM) *

Dr. Evil, Is there a way that you could rip the videos from your DVD and send the video files electronically? Not sure if you have share programs like Dropbox or even Google Drive to send the files. If I had a file version, I could just put it on a thumb drive and plug into my TV. My desktop is a Mac so this might be the best option for me personally instead of buying a new DVD player which may not play either.

Its on my to do list. I could likely get thumb drives for inexpensive and just do that, or I have been looking into an online host so I could sell passwords for access. Many options. However, this all takes time and education, both of which I have been short on. CuddyK actually is into this media stuff and we talked a little after my clinic in VA in Jan. In the end, it has been easier to burn and ship at this point, until Im out of supplies. After my life settles down a bit (whats that?!) in the next few months, I will see about changing or offering formats. I am not sure what size USB drive Id need for a two disk set. Also, as mentioned, the files are of a strange format with AUDIO and VIDEO for both DVD, and you just click on either and it plays. If I sound lost on this....I am.
Creamsicle New Zealand
QUOTE(mlindner @ May 6 2018, 03:45 PM) *

Both Porschetub and Creamsicle...share the price...Best, Mark

Good thinking I will come back to you soon.
Cupomeat
QUOTE(Dr Evil @ May 7 2018, 09:35 AM) *

I still make them, just out for right now and not a priority while I am moving my life to a new house. Should be pretty settled this weekend and be able to burn some.

For those with reading errors, why didn't you let me know? I will replace any disk that is not working. I am not DVD savvy. Universally, Mac has been a PITA with my burned disks and I don't know why. One member swore he tried the set in many machines, I threw out $200 worth of disks, bought a new burner....then he admitted it played fine on his friends PC and he had only actually tried it on his Mac dry.gif

I have found that DVD-R were more problematic than DVD+R. I have changed the software as well. I stopped putting labels on them because these caused them to spin off balance in some machines. So, now you get functional DVD with handwritten labels by me.

If there was enough interest, I could look into another professional run with the nice graphics and cases, etc. Eric (cupomeat) did try finding the masters last year sometime when I was looking into this. When I did the first run back in about 2009-10 I was a poor new medschool grad starting residency and couldn't afford to stock up on too many copies. We sold something like 200 in the first month. I retained like 2-3. I wish I could do an addendum to show how to replace bearing races, maybe how to set R/P and backlash even though 99.9% wont have the tools or learned skills. If I knew how to shoot video and post, I would do that and post the addition up on youtube for free. Most likely, this year will find me with a simple web site, investing more into EvilWerks, and I will see about hosting the video addition there as well as selling copies of the disks. I sell the set for $35 shipped in the US.

For the NZ folks, there are copies in country, ask around. I have made a deal with my Aus friends that they send me $20 if they burn a copy. Saves time, cost less, everyone wins. I have gotten a few random $20 payments over time.

Hey Doc, I'll pick back up and see if I can get another run of 250+ made from the original masters. The original should play well in any player As i tested everything available back in 2010 or so when I created it, but let me know and I can maybe help.

All that being said, I'll look to get the full original packaging run done again and His Evilness can distribute as needed.

mepstein
My son said he could probably transfer to an online hosting site for you. He used to do that kind of thing in high school.
Cupomeat
QUOTE(mepstein @ May 7 2018, 11:20 PM) *

My son said he could probably transfer to an online hosting site for you. He used to do that kind of thing in high school.

I'd be all for that. We couldn't do the volume the big sites needed for this venture.

I would have to rework it as all the DVD coding would be off, but I could figure it out. Simple hyperlinks would do it from a menu.

Cupomeat
QUOTE(Cupomeat @ May 7 2018, 11:23 PM) *

I'd be all for that. We couldn't do the volume the big sites needed for this venture.

I would have to rework it as all the DVD coding would be off, but I could figure it out. Simple hyperlinks would do it from a menu.

BTW, did anyone ever find the easter Egg of the 914 at WG on the DVD? It has been so long ago!
Dr Evil
QUOTE(Cupomeat @ May 7 2018, 11:23 PM) *

I don’t know what you said here, but sounds great!

I never found the Easter egg.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.