Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Attended my first Concours!
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
oakdalecurtis
I attended the Diablo Region 7 Concours in Livermore today as a rookie. I met 914world members Valy and Marty too. They're actually nice guys, not at all like they act here on the forum. beerchug.gif Gorgeous weather, lots of Porsches of all kinds, five 914's.
I missed first place by .7 point! chair.gif
Congrats to Brian for the nice win with his mint teener. smilie_pokal.gif

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment
Tom_T
Good job Curtis!

You should've received you score sheets back from the judges, which you can use as a guide for what areas to prep or do better for the next one!

Cheers! beerchug.gif
Tom
///////
Valy
QUOTE(oakdalecurtis @ May 6 2018, 03:06 PM) *

I attended the Diablo Region 7 Concours in Livermore today as a rookie. I met 914world members Valy and Marty too. They're actually nice guys, not at all like they act here on the forum. beerchug.gif Gorgeous weather, lots of Porsches of all kinds, five 914's.
I missed first place by .7 point! chair.gif
Congrats to Brian for the nice win with his mint teener. smilie_pokal.gif

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Was it because of my fingerprints on your mirror?
Just joking, well deserved 2nd place. Your car looks awesome!
oakdalecurtis
QUOTE(Tom_T @ May 6 2018, 03:09 PM) *

Good job Curtis!

You should've received you score sheets back from the judges, which you can use as a guide for what areas to prep or do better for the next one!

Cheers! beerchug.gif
Tom
///////

Hi Tom, yep, got score sheet. When I pulled in to the Show dealership lot early this am, the Show greeter lady there said I should not compete in Concourse "Street" division because that was for "original" cars. Of course I have lots of small mods. So she entered me in the "Car Show" side. Later this am, someone told me that the greeter's information was not correct, and I could "get judged" in Street class, even with the car's mods. I talked with Paul in charge, and the next thing I see are judges with clipboards swarming over my car! After an hour drive to get there this am, I never did a final wipe down clean on my car, as I thought I wasn't going to be judged. My bad. chair.gif
A little lint on the rug, dirt on my driver sill, glass smudges.... 7/10!!!!!! headbang.gif
Oh well, it was fun and I'll be better prepared next time.
cwl
Tom_T
QUOTE(oakdalecurtis @ May 6 2018, 02:49 PM) *

QUOTE(Tom_T @ May 6 2018, 03:09 PM) *

Good job Curtis!

Cheers! beerchug.gif
Tom
///////

Hi Tom, yep, got score sheet. When I pulled in to the Show dealership lot early this am, the Show greeter lady there said I should not compete in Concourse "Street" division because that was for "original" cars. Of course I have lots of small mods. So she entered me in the "Car Show" side. Later this am, someone told me that the greeter's information was not correct, and I could "get judged" in Street class, even with the car's mods. I talked with Paul in charge, and the next thing I see are judges with clipboards swarming over my car! After an hour drive to get there this am, I never did a final wipe down clean on my car, as I thought I wasn't going to be judged. My bad. chair.gif
A little lint on the rug, dirt on my driver sill, glass smudges.... 7/10!!!!!! headbang.gif
Oh well, it was fun and I'll be better prepared next time.
cwl

Hey Curtis,

Zone 7 has different Divisions than we do in Zone 8, so I can't say which one you should be in, & it was good that you caught someone there to help place you, even if a tad late.

Here in Zone 8 you could do either Wash & Shine (Interior & Exterior judged) or Street (Int, Ext, + Engine & Storage/Trunks) or if you're really anal - Full Concours (Int, Ext, Eng, Stor, + Undercarriage with & without engine/2 halves). You can enter Concours in other Zones & Regions as a PCA member, if you ever happen to have your 914 elsewhere.

Were the 0.7 the total of all judged areas' deductions across several areas of 0.1 or 0.2 points deducted at each?
.... or all in one area?

Here in Z8 we usually do -0.1 for something only a judge would see/find, -0.2 for things easily visible, & rarely -0.3 or -0.4 for something really bad ~ & that's per sub-area on the list of things judged at each of Int, Ext, etc. So a few things can add up quickly.

Even so, only -0.7 on your very first Concours is an outstanding outcome!

I'm guessing that is over a total of 200 - 400 points from all judged areas too, & I've seen competitors win with more deductions down here.

So figure out what Division (Street, etc.) that you want to prepare for & enter, then apply the score sheet for where to do more, & get there early enough to leave enough time to do some detailing after you drive there. Pretty much everyone is driving to the Concours, so you're not at a disadvantage driving there.

So when is your next outing!? first.gif

Cheers! beerchug.gif
Tom
///////
Tom_T
Yeah Curtis, that first greeter with whom you spoke was waaaay off-base! blink.gif

Out of curiosity, I looked at your Z7 Concours Rules, & they're pretty similar to ours, with a few fewer Categories (we call them Divisions), & similar Classes (although I pushed for a rules change here to make 914/914-6 a separate Class in W&S too - which you can suggest as a member, since there are separate Classes for 914s in other Categories.

Also read up in the rules, because you could get Rookie of the Year if you do enough events & do well enough overall points-wise (we h=don't have that Rookie award, but have suggested it a few times as an added change here)).

Here are the Rules:
http://zone7.pca.org/wp-content/uploads/Zo...ion-final_0.pdf

Zone & Concours Pages:
http://zone7.pca.org/concours/

- Events:
https://zone7.pca.org/concours-events/

- Results:
http://zone7.pca.org/concours-results/

And try to attend one of their Concous Clinics &/or Judging Schools whenever up next, as it will help you with the prep & judging -

http://zone7.pca.org/events/concours-schoo...ar-care-clinic/

beerchug.gif
Tom
///////
oakdalecurtis
Wow Tom, ty, that’s a lot of information!
Problem is, I’ve NEVER been good with rules....
headbang.gif
Tom_T
QUOTE(oakdalecurtis @ May 6 2018, 05:23 PM) *

headbang.gif

laugh.gif

Then think of it as more guidelines & procedures then! rolleyes.gif

But it gives a pretty good idea of what categories to do, what areas of the cars are judged, how they're judged & scored, & what awards you can shoot for - beyond just the one at one event.

Most important - have fun & enjoy the people there with their fun P-cars.

You must've been good with rules at some point though, being in W-polo! ;-)

beerchug.gif
Tom
///////
oakdalecurtis
QUOTE(Tom_T @ May 6 2018, 06:33 PM) *

QUOTE(oakdalecurtis @ May 6 2018, 05:23 PM) *

headbang.gif

laugh.gif

Then think of it as more guidelines & procedures then! rolleyes.gif

But it gives a pretty good idea of what categories to do, what areas of the cars are judged, how they're judged & scored, & what awards you can shoot for - beyond just the one at one event.

Most important - have fun & enjoy the people there with their fun P-cars.

You must've been good with rules at some point though, being in W-polo! ;-)

beerchug.gif
Tom
///////

Nah, I’m the goalie, we do our own thing... chair.gif
Wyvern
Hi Curtis.
Great to meet you,
Glad you did get the correct info as your first greeter must have forgotten it was 2018..
Many of the rules , even categories have changed for 2018 and this was the first event so it may have been a learning experience for all.

Here is a link to the 2018 rules http://zone7.pca.org/concours-rules/
In a nut shell here is the biggest takeaway changes as far as class.
>>>
Category names and judging areas changed to match those used at Parade
“Wash & Shine” becomes “Street” – only includes interior and exterior (drops storage)
“Street” becomes “Touring” – same judging areas (interior, exterior, storage, engine*)
“Full” doesn’t change – same judging areas (interior, exterior, storage, engine*, chassis)
The * for engine is there because if the car model has an engine that is challenging to access it is NOT judged. That would apply to a Boxster or Cayman. & others.

As you go up in Category the total points go up so Street is a total of 140 points (70 each for Interior and Exterior.)
Originality is NOT a judged criteria in any class, so your mods are fine. The just have to be clean ... LOL. BUT this I have yet to see in the real world for Full Concourse.
Touring and Unrestored is a total of 235 or 180 points (because of the engine access rule). it adds Engine and Storage.
Full is a total of 300 or 245 points (engine access again) it adds chassis.

Unrestored (lots of rules to that one to qualify) and full will start getting low score on modifications.

I have found that if you have a story to tell (I enjoyed learning yours & as I often show as the F1 Pace Car) that at a Concourse it is just about clean.
I will open up the trunk and frunk and put out the info on the car after it is judged, if at all.
When I enter Limited Production /Special interest (if the concours has that in its classes .. then I go full livery. I won a trophy in LP /SI last year with my bicycle. It has a Porsche VIN # so as you may know or I hope you lean I like to stir the pot just a bit wink.gif
Another concourse where I had the bike. I put it in SI and the 914 in "914" or I would be compeating against myself (I got 2 trophies that outing)
Not sure what they will do when I do the Porsche helicopter ... lol-2.gif

Congrats to you ... see you soon.
Brian
oakdalecurtis
QUOTE(Wyvern @ May 6 2018, 10:22 PM) *

Hi Curtis.
Great to meet you,
Glad you did get the correct info as your first greeter must have forgotten it was 2018..
Many of the rules , even categories have changed for 2018 and this was the first event so it may have been a learning experience for all.

>>>
“Wash & Shine” becomes “Street” – only includes interior and exterior (drops storage)
“Street” becomes “Touring” – same judging areas (interior, exterior, storage, engine*)
“Full” doesn’t change – same judging areas (interior, exterior, storage, engine*, chassis)
The * for engine is there because if the car model has an engine that is challenging to access it is NOT judged. That would apply to a Boxster or Cayman. & others.

As you go up in Category the total points go up so Street is a total of 140 points (70 each for Interior and Exterior.)

Originality is NOT a judged criteria in any class, so your mods are fine. The just have to be clean ... LOL. BUT this I have yet to see in the real world for Full Concourse.
Touring and Unrestored is a total of 235 or 180 points (because of the engine access rule). it adds Engine and Storage.

Unrestored (lots of rules to that one to qualify) and full will start getting low score on modifications.

I have found that if you have a story to tell (I enjoyed learning yours & as I often show as the F1 Pace Car) that at a Concourse it is just about clean.
I will open up the trunk and frunk and put out the info on the car after it is judged, if at all.
When I enter Limited Production /Special interest (if the concours has that in its classes .. then I go full livery. I won a trophy in LP /SI last year with my bicycle. It has a Porsche VIN # so as you may know or I hope you lean I like to stir the pot just a bit wink.gif
Another concourse where I had the bike. I put it in SI and the 914 in "914" or I would be compeating against myself (I got 2 trophies that outing)

Brian

Thanks Brian. Your car easily deserved the win, I think they just scored me close to encourage me! Nice to meet everyone too.
Tom_T
QUOTE(Wyvern @ May 6 2018, 09:22 PM) *

Hi Curtis.
Great to meet you,

>>>

Brian

Hey Brian,

Just a heads up that your Z7 Concours webpage still links to the old 2017 Rules under the first hot link "rules" in the 1st paragraph to the right of John's head, which is why I gave Curtis the link to those rules.

So you might want to let the powers that be up there know, so that they can correct it to go to the new 2018 version.

Also, if you're involved with rulemaking up there, or know someone that is, then you folks may want to look at breaking out the new cars without good engine access into separate categories, as we do down south in Z8. We have an Ubergang Division for a Street equivalent, which leaves off engine & only judges Ext, Int, Storage; & just added Ganz Ubergang as their Full Concours, but without engine judging.

It keeps it fair & point counts aligned vs. other P-cars with judged engines in those 2 classes, & allows the judging to flow better without the wait for getting around the engine shrouds/etc. to judge them.

Supposedly Parade has been considering this change too, but that may have been stalled due to the loss of our former Z8 CdE Chair who brought it in here while Chair, who passed away a few weeks back.

I'm glad that Curtis has you as a mentor of sorts & fellow Teener in Zone 7 for his new hobby of anal FERG.gif - & you can help him on the quest for "Rookie of the Year"! first.gif
(which is one we in Z8 need to learn from Z7)

Also, I love your story about entering the P-bike in SC's! biggrin.gif

Cheers! beerchug.gif
Tom
///////
Krieger
beerchug.gif Nice job for a first-time out!
Wyvern
Hi "Tom T"
I will let the Zone folks know about the challenge to find the 2018 rules . They are there but a bit of an easter egg to find.

I am very active in the Diablo PCA.
I do Concours but really more DE, Auto X, shows and the eating & drinking part.

I will make a separate post but the next event is mine.
It is our Annual Car Show.
Sunday of Memorial Day . May 27th
Years ago it was a concours but it has morphed to a Show (with fellow participants voting on their favorite / best in each class)

FUN is the word.
About 100+ cars
Tacos in the Street.
Live music (I have been known to dance)
Indy 500 on the TV at the restaurant that is our home base (Bloody Mary deals)
Raffle . With all money to charity.

Make a plan to come out.
https://www.eventbrite.com/e/pca-diablo-reg...ets-44159291630
Tom_T
QUOTE(Wyvern @ May 7 2018, 07:39 AM) *

Hi "Tom T"
I will let the Zone folks know about the challenge to find the 2018 rules . They are there but a bit of an easter egg to find.

I am very active in the Diablo PCA.
I do Concours but really more DE, Auto X, shows and the eating & drinking part.

I will make a separate post but the next event is mine.
It is our Annual Car Show.
Sunday of Memorial Day . May 27th
Years ago it was a concours but it has morphed to a Show (with fellow participants voting on their favorite / best in each class)

FUN is the word.
About 100+ cars
Tacos in the Street.
Live music (I have been known to dance)
Indy 500 on the TV at the restaurant that is our home base (Bloody Mary deals)
Raffle . With all money to charity.

Make a plan to come out.
https://www.eventbrite.com/e/pca-diablo-reg...ets-44159291630

Looks like loads of fun Brian, but a bit far for us from SoCal, what with our 1921 home reno/resto going on right now - but maybe a future one if we happen to be in the Bay Area at the right time, since one of my wife's brother/family lives in San Jose &/or for my work.

Since there's a 914 category, maybe you can get Jeff Bowlsby to bring out one of his LEs, since he's in Pleasanton or thereabouts IIRC - & maybe Curtis too, & they can entertain their wives with foodies spots.

You could put a new topic in the Garage Forum on its own for this event, so that more folks will know about it, & you & others can post pix of past & this one too for eye candy! type.gif

It's just that one hotlink on the Z7 Concours page that needs to be updated to go to the newest 2018 rules by whomever does the website for y'all.

beerchug.gif
Tom
///////
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.