Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Been Gone a while - Hellhole/Long Question
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Yellowbeard
Hey All.

I've got a 73 (numbers not matching, paint color wrong, Frankencar) that I built in high school (which was now LOOOONG ago). But I am looking at a 75 2.0 liter in decent shape.

Two owner. I knew the second owner when he bought the car at 13 from the original owner (17 years ago). I am not going to tell you the steal he got on the car because it would make you weep.

Regardless, he put about 3k or so on it (putting the car, I am told, regardless of its broken OD, at about 85k). Then it got parked in a carport for years. Mostly it wasn't driven for most of that time.

Thinking about making an offer. I would have to sell mine, of course, lest my wife divorce me. HOWEVER, I went to look at it today and see what kind of shape it was really in and saw what is in the pics below.

https://drive.google.com/open?id=15ok5qgaDX...Q-acyghbcpoPdDh

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1WphFOiAGu...uYJeHj9s-jCvSij

Trying to figure out a few things, here:

1. How fixable is this? I know its typical but need to know what I would be getting into.

2. I need to figure out what a fair offer for this car is (obviously I will need to post a bunch of other pics).

Anyway, any help is very appreciated. I want to start with: How much trouble am I in with this rust and what's the best approach to fixing it? The rest of the floor pan LOOKED pretty good, but I didn't really get super under there to make sure.

FI is intact. I will need to dump the fuel and get a battery in it to start it but when I last drove it (probably 10+ years ago) I remember it being fairly good (but very stock).

Please advise.
Click to view attachment
IronHillRestorations
That's ugly, pass
GaroldShaffer
can you weld? welder.gif

It is going to need floor pan work for sure. What other areas of rust did you find?
Yellowbeard
I can weld, at least somewhat, though I don't currently have a welder. But I do have access to a rotisserie. And I can probably come up with a welder if I have to do so.

I will document the rest of the car soon (including other rust I find) and post it.

Thanks!
carking1996
Mine was in similar shape, and to some extent still is. Structurally sound, but it needed a new battery tray, metal underneath the tray, and some lower inner firewall fixes. It still needs some floorpan and crossmember work, but overall doable and nothing too insane. I'd say go for it if the price is right.
McMark
You've only shown the floor pans. If that were it, it's no big deal.

But you're left a TON of potential trouble spots undocumented. So there's really no way to effectively evaluate the condition of the car.
Yellowbeard
QUOTE(McMark @ May 10 2018, 07:24 AM) *

You've only shown the floor pans. If that were it, it's no big deal.

But you're left a TON of potential trouble spots undocumented. So there's really no way to effectively evaluate the condition of the car.

Totally fair. Much of the car is in decent shape. However, I plan to go take a lot more pictures. Anything in particular you think I should shoot?

McMark
Everything just above that area, inside and out. It's really tough to get a camera in there, or your head for that matter.
-The battery tray, and the area below that
-The passenger side below the engine shelf (where the heater hose goes).
-The longitudinal inside the fender (forward of the wheel/suspension)
-The area where the passenger seat belt attaches (pull up the carpet if you must).
Yellowbeard
QUOTE(McMark @ May 10 2018, 12:16 PM) *

Everything just above that area, inside and out. It's really tough to get a camera in there, or your head for that matter.
-The battery tray, and the area below that
-The passenger side below the engine shelf (where the heater hose goes).
-The longitudinal inside the fender (forward of the wheel/suspension)
-The area where the passenger seat belt attaches (pull up the carpet if you must).

I've got an endoscope that I will try to use to get some pictures.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.