Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: New 914 Owner questions
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
l84ttym
I have recently, Dec. 2004, bought a 1971 1.7 914 and have some questions concerning the performance and trim of the 1971 Porsche 914. First off, I do not consider myself a mechanic nor do I feel qualified to do any major mechanical work to the car. However, I am eager to improve the performance and keep the car as original as possible and do as much of it myself as possible. The car had not been inspected since 1975 but has only 31,700 miles on it and is in very good shape. It had been nicely repainted Red from the original Signal Orange. I installed new brakes lines and put new tires on it but that's about it other than some cosmetic repairs (vinyl pillars, antenna and some aluminum trim pieces. I have also bought but have not yet installed stainless steel heat exchangers. The car does not currently have a front valance on it but looks like it should. I have not been able to determine if in fact the 1971 had a standard front valance. Any info concerning the front valance would be helpful.

As far as performance, the car idles well, handles great, shifts smooth and sounds great but seems like it should go faster. Unless it is headed downhill and downwind, the top end is about 68mph. I know it's only 90 HP but certainly should be capable of a bit more punch. The first three gears seem to have a lot of punch but I have to really tach it out to realize much acceleration out of 4th and 5th gears. I am planning on checking the fuel pump and change the fuel filter as I don't know what condition they are in and they are relatively easy to change out.

Those are my current questions.

I would really appreciate any info concerning these items.

Thank You!
xsboost90
check your manual and timing. I would put a fuel filter and tune up on there if you havent already.
Bleyseng
Wow, only 31k miles is great! The 1.7l stock had 80hp which is pretty decent for the lighter early year cars. You should be able to cruise at 70-90 mph all day long and get 30 mpg.
I would suspect maybe the advance plate is sticking, clogged fuel lines, something along those lines are holding it back. It should be pretty peppy to drive..

Ok, post some pics! biggrin.gif
Bleyseng
here is the stock front valance, note the cool two tone paint.
street legal go-kart
Pull the fuel tank.
Have someone boil it out.
Change filter, maybe pump.
Flush lines.
You should see 90 + mph at wto @ sea level.

JT
Always Looking
thisthreadisworthlesswithoutpics.gif

woo hoo, my first.

You should try to post pics, Its fun and everybody likes to see the cars. If you mess up, don't worry.

beerchug.gif
l84ttym
Previous owner didn't have the manual so I have to wait until I can sell my first child to pick one up!

I had already planned on having it tuned.

I'd be happy to post some pics...it's a beaut!

Thanks everyone for the info!!

This is a great site!!!
Bleyseng
Should be timed at 27 degrees BTDC @ 3500rpms, but I would have the valves adjusted correctly along with the other tune up stuff.
Change all fluids
Change ALL Fuel lines with Porsche high pressure fuel injection hose.
Change the injector seals and check/change the injector elbow line

Any cracks in the fuel line can result in a huge engine fire due to gas spraying on the hot engine.
ArtechnikA
QUOTE (l84ttym @ Jun 8 2005, 10:29 PM)
Previous owner didn't have the manual so I have to wait until I can sell my first child to pick one up

the owner's manual is nice, but what you really need is the Haynes repair manual for the 914. it's generally the best worded and illustrated of the available choices.

i had a 1,7 for a while and it it was fun to drive. for a car that's sat for a while, the possibility of a plugged muffler cannot be overlooked - possibly due to small animals having created homes in there, possibly due to rusted baffles.

welcome!
smg914
QUOTE (l84ttym @ Jun 8 2005, 05:56 PM)
The car does not currently have a front valance on it but looks like it should. I have not been able to determine if in fact the 1971 had a standard front valance. Any info concerning the front valance would be helpful.

The stock front valance was used on every 914 from 1970 thru 1976. This includes the 914-6. There were a few exceptions but that's another story. You should have no problem finding a used stock front valance for you 914.
tat2dphreak
Welcome to the club! sounds like a great find!!
Cap'n Krusty
If you think you can't afford the manual, howya gonna afford a fuel pump? Twice as much as a factory manual. Don't change that until you've thoroughly tested everything else. You can use a later (and cheaper) pump, but there's some replumbing involved. Valves, filters, tuneup parts, in that order. Use ONLY the Bosch parts except for the oil filter (Mann, Mahle, Knecht) and the plug wires (Beru). You can determine the condition of the fuel tank with a good flashlight through the filler neck. Replace ALL the rubber fuel lines. The plastic lines are probably OK. One hose, from the plastic line to the filter, is special, and costs a bunch. Welcome to the list! The Cap'n
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.