Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: charcoal canister refurbish diy video
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
iankarr
Hi Guys,

I finally got around to refreshing the charcoal canister on my '74. Now I don't smell gas in the cabin anymore. Well, the petrol kind anyway.

Enjoy!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6C06XJgLhIc
McMark
thumb3d.gif
914Sixer
Quick and easy first.gif
Bartlett 914
Do you have a link on the replacement carbon pellets?
iankarr
It’s in the notes on YouTube. You may need to click “show more”
bigkensteele
Will a charcoal canister help much on a six conversion with carbs? Did original sixes have them?

This looks like a fun, easy restore, but only if I am going to need it in the future.

Thanks for posting!
iankarr
QUOTE(McMark @ May 8 2018, 10:07 AM) *

Thanks Mark. I’ve been on my phone all day and couldn’t copy and paste from YouTube...
RickS
QUOTE(bigkensteele @ May 8 2018, 04:25 PM) *

Will a charcoal canister help much on a six conversion with carbs? Did original sixes have them?

This looks like a fun, easy restore, but only if I am going to need it in the future.

Thanks for posting!

Having a 6 conversion with carbs, in a word, nope.
Dave_Darling
QUOTE(cuddy_k @ May 7 2018, 09:46 PM) *

Now I don't smell gas in the cabin anymore. Well, the petrol kind anyway.

What have we told you about letting Doc Evil sit in your car?? wink.gif

--DD
Big Len
Excellent. Thanks Ian.
iankarr
QUOTE(Dave_Darling @ May 9 2018, 02:31 AM) *

QUOTE(cuddy_k @ May 7 2018, 09:46 PM) *

Now I don't smell gas in the cabin anymore. Well, the petrol kind anyway.

What have we told you about letting Doc Evil sit in your car?? wink.gif

--DD

Y'know...after that clinic in Virginia, I did notice an evil scent....
bob's project
This is great to know that this can be done. Minimizing the smell of my cars in my garage is something I appreciate.

I am curious how these pellets would ever wear out? I thought the charcoal released any absorbed fumes as the engine ran.

Does the charcoal loose this ability over time or too many cycles?

My question is out of technical curiosity. The cost of this is refresh is delightfully affordable.

bbrock
QUOTE(bob's project @ May 10 2018, 11:45 AM) *

This is great to know that this can be done. Minimizing the smell of my cars in my garage is something I appreciate.

I am curious how these pellets would ever wear out? I thought the charcoal released any absorbed fumes as the engine ran.

Does the charcoal loose this ability over time or too many cycles?

My question is out of technical curiosity. The cost of this is refresh is delightfully affordable.

It's a one-way trip. Carbon works by adsorption where vapor molecules are trapped in the carbon. The amount of vapor it can adsorb is huge, but not unlimited. Once that capacity is reached, it no longer does it's job.
McMark
Yup, basically the carbon will 'get full'. laugh.gif
SirAndy
QUOTE(McMark @ May 10 2018, 01:20 PM) *

Go home Carbon, you're fully saturated ...
drunk.gif
Big Len
They'd probably make a great fire starter.
porschetub
QUOTE(SirAndy @ May 11 2018, 08:30 AM) *

QUOTE(McMark @ May 10 2018, 01:20 PM) *

Go home Carbon, you're fully saturated ...
drunk.gif

lol-2.gif lol-2.gif ,my car stinks in the engine space,it must be nice for the guys with CIS ,MFI or EFI on their 6's surely that's not as bad as carbs ?.
What are the genuine six's like ?.
bob's project
I did some reading on EVAP systems and it certainly reads to me like the charcoal releases the absorbed lighter hydrocarbons when the engine is running and the purge valve is open. (I dont think that applies to any 914s).

This is why these canisters are plumbed back into the intake so that the fumes are burned.

In any case refreshing the charcoal is on my to do list and the old will become fire starter as suggested...

mepstein
QUOTE(McMark @ May 10 2018, 04:20 PM) *

I don't know if it's true, but what I read is that when it's full, time will let the hydrocarbons evaporate off and basically refresh the carbon.
914-300Hemi
Great video. Would it matter if the car is carb’d on a 4?
bbrock
QUOTE(914-300Hemi @ May 11 2018, 11:48 AM) *

Great video. Would it matter if the car is carb’d on a 4?

Would work the same as long as the downstream end is dumped into an air cleaner like the original setup. As was said earlier, some hydrocarbons surely escape from the charcoal and the charcoal probably doesn't adsorb 100% of what goes through it, so the effluent out of the canister is going to have some residual that should be burned.

I've also read about re-activating carbon by heating it which supposedly re-fractures it to create new surface area but that seems like wasted effort. i like the fire starter idea. It's tempting to try at the risk of losing one's eyebrows.
mxkinn01
Thanks for the great video. This was one of the easiest fixes I've done so far, hardest part was unbolting the canister. The new charcoal pellets are about 3 times the size of the original ones, took two of three bags to refill. I left the old pellets outside 3 days ago and they still wreak of gas fumes (I think they were past their limit). So far so good on no gas smell in the cabin.
Click to view attachment
morsmanlaw
I know this is an old thread, but just a note to say the video is still of great use. Easy and pretty cheap project, and I went ahead with the cleaning up and repainting of the outside of the canister, too. Thanks.
brcacti
Since the mechanic that installed my electronic ignition advanced the timing 5-8 I don't seem to be running real rich anymore but when I FIRST put the heater on I do seem to get some fumes, open the window and get fresh air then close it. Is this the purpose of the charcoal box to filter out some air from the passenger cabin?
76-914
No. I believe that task is for that little round plastic insert in the door jamb. beerchug.gif
mepstein
QUOTE(brcacti @ Feb 28 2020, 11:27 PM) *

Since the mechanic that installed my electronic ignition advanced the timing 5-8 I don't seem to be running real rich anymore but when I FIRST put the heater on I do seem to get some fumes, open the window and get fresh air then close it. Is this the purpose of the charcoal box to filter out some air from the passenger cabin?

No. It could be some oil dripping on your heat exchangers but it would be a good idea to pressure test your exhaust and at least use a CO detector in your cabin.
Bartlett 914
QUOTE(brcacti @ Feb 28 2020, 11:27 PM) *

No. It is to stop gas tank vapors from leaking into the atmosphere. It sounds like you may have oil contamination in the heat exchangers or the heat exchangers have an internal leak and exhaust vapors are entering the cabin. This is extremely dangerous an should be checked out
Superhawk996
QUOTE(porschetub @ May 10 2018, 11:42 PM) *

my car stinks in the engine space . . . .

What are you guys talking about? The smell of gasoline, oil and unburned hydrocarbons 1st thing in the morning is what vintage cars are all about. laugh.gif

New cars have to meet such strict evaporative emissions standards that we've all forgotten what "real" cars (and real Hot Rodders) smelled like back in the day.

@cuddy_k
Great video -- I've never seen this done and always thought it would be do-able. Glad to see someone tackle it and document it. Great Job.
StarBear
Great! Have been wondering how to do that for about 30 years...
Have three additional tidbits to contribute:
1. Might want to clean that filter to ensure good air flow. A little Dawn and a medium stiff brush worked for me. Be sure to allow to dry thoroughly before reinstalling.
2. There is ALSO a little filter in the bottom end (see photo). Be sure to remove and clean that one, too.
3. My local pet/fish store carried the pellets (see second photo). A bit more than needed, so correct amount the cannister needs is 35-40 oz. Supported local business.
Onward!
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.