Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: No longer Broke down in Arkansas
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
stevend914
...but the gas gauge is not giving an accurate indication, shows 1/2 or 1/4 full after filling the tank? But the reserve light still works correctly. sad.gif

...and the garmin gps quit on me, explains the two wrong turns I made yesterday hissyfit.gif
Bartlett 914
So the starter does nothing? If so, it may be the ignition switch. There are a lot of threads on the "hot start relay". Put the car in neutral and use the parking brake. Get under the rear end of the car with a screwdriver and short the large wire (+12 volts) to the solenoid terminal. You may need to pull the wire. This may engage the solenoid and start the car. Lots of luck
poorsche914
Is the car in an area where you could push start it? idea.gif

driving.gif
dr914@autoatlanta.com
if it will just not turn over, then you can wait for it to cool off. On the other hand you can short across the solenoid with a screwdriver
Andyrew
Could be ignition switch as well.
stevend914
Thanks for the responses, must have cooled enough, running again. Off to Texas.
bdstone914
QUOTE(stevend914 @ May 8 2018, 01:11 PM) *

Park on an incline to make push starting easier. Good luck, safe travels.
GregAmy
I can't have any more respect for someone willing to drive a 40+-yr-old car from St Louis to Texas, having it pretty much break down on them, then getting it running again and instead of turning around saying, OK I'm still going!

I got the hair-raising on my neck just driving mine an hour-and-a-half to the race track last weekend. And I swear I heard and felt every little stumble and bauble from the engine.

Good on you, man! Enjoy!
ValcoOscar

Good to hear Steve...

I thought you would rest after your long Route 66 drive....gee, hope you have good seat padding!!! av-943.gif av-943.gif

BTW...it was a pleasure talking with you at Route 66

Oscar
Unpretentious
Steve,

Glad to see you’re back on the road. I concur with bdstone914 and Oscar’s comments. Best wishes for the remainder of your trip.

Larmo63
Steve is not the sort to sit around the house and look at his cars.

He really DRIVES them!!!!!

Wow, the guy does a lot of miles in Porsches. driving.gif
stevend914
QUOTE(bdstone914 @ May 8 2018, 03:14 PM) *

Park on an incline to make push starting easier. Good luck, safe travels.

Thanks, unfortunately I'm not in the hill country of Texas, but I will when I can.

i
stevend914
QUOTE(GregAmy @ May 8 2018, 03:28 PM) *

I can't have any more respect for someone willing to drive a 40+-yr-old car from St Louis to Texas, having it pretty much break down on them, then getting it running again and instead of turning around saying, OK I'm still going!

I got the hair-raising on my neck just driving mine an hour-and-a-half to the race track last weekend. And I swear I heard and felt every little stumble and bauble from the engine.

Good on you, man! Enjoy!

I'm wayyy too trusting that nothing bad will happen
stevend914
QUOTE(ValcoOscar @ May 8 2018, 03:48 PM) *

Good to hear Steve...

I thought you would rest after your long Route 66 drive....gee, hope you have good seat padding!!! av-943.gif av-943.gif

BTW...it was a pleasure talking with you at Route 66

Oscar

Actually, I've been meaning to add some padding to the seats lol-2.gif

It was great meeting you Oscar, hopefully we'll see each other at another event. Love your car.
stevend914
QUOTE(Unpretentious @ May 8 2018, 05:01 PM) *

Steve,

Glad to see you’re back on the road. I concur with bdstone914 and Oscar’s comments. Best wishes for the remainder of your trip.

Thanks Jerry, spending the night in Longview, TX and heading to Corpus
Christi in the morning. Hope we meet again.

Steve
worn
Good luck. Tapping the starter with a hammer or a tire iron can jar the solenoid loose. Safer than jumping cause you aren’t underneath when it starts. On my Route 66 venture I ran a wire to the battery area to boost a hot solenoid. Matter of fact it is still there.
Fatboy007
QUOTE(Bartlett 914 @ May 8 2018, 03:00 PM) *

So the starter does nothing? If so, it may be the ignition switch. There are a lot of threads on the "hot start relay". Put the car in neutral and use the parking brake. Get under the rear end of the car with a screwdriver and short the large wire (+12 volts) to the solenoid terminal. You may need to pull the wire. This may engage the solenoid and start the car. Lots of luck

agree.gif get an ignition button that's what I ended up doing
stevend914
QUOTE(Larmo63 @ May 8 2018, 05:03 PM) *

Steve is not the sort to sit around the house and look at his cars.

He really DRIVES them!!!!!

Wow, the guy does a lot of miles in Porsches. driving.gif

17,000 miles on the orange 914 last year and I have plans for July thru Nov, I have to take June off to take care of me!! I'll probably have to sit around the house and look at the cars? av-943.gif

n
stevend914
Proof that I made it to New Mexico in the 911: https://www.pca.org/news/2018-05-08/treffen...ting-experience
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.