Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Looking for Lift Suggestions
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Franky_Four_Fingers
Just bought a 914 project from a member here and will be doing quite a bit of work on it. I'd prefer to get a mid-rise scissor lift, but I see a lot of people using "quick-jacks". I guess my question to the group is: Which do you prefer?

Thanks for your help, here's a pic of my car.

Click to view attachment
GeorgeRud
I like my scissor lift from Greg Smith Co. Works very nicely with a 914, though some ramps help to easily place the car as it’s too low otherwise.Click to view attachment Click to view attachment
iankarr
I have a quick jack and it works well. Higher lifts not an option due to my low ceiling. Easy to pull out of the way and no ramps needed. Only negative is you have to work on your back, whereas a scissor might allow you to sit on a low rolling chair.
Mueller
I'm looking at the quickjack myself, I just need to see if I can use the 5000 lb rated one for the 914 (not too large for it?) since I need the higher capacity for my other vehicles.

Ian, which model do you have?
iankarr
I have the 5000 from 3 years ago. Rock solid and very stable. My car was in the air for the entire winter and the hydraulics didn’t drop a millimeter. I’d love to get the 5000 SLX which is a bit longer and would also allow me to lift my cayman. If anyone in the NY area wants a lightly used quick jack 5000 at a deep discount, LMK!
914forme
QUOTE(cuddy_k @ May 8 2018, 09:37 PM) *

I have the 5000 from 3 years ago. Rock solid and very stable. My car was in the air for the entire winter and the hydraulics didn’t drop a millimeter. I’d love to get the 5000 SLX which is a bit longer and would also allow me to lift my cayman. If anyone in the NY area wants a lightly used quick jack 5000 at a deep discount, LMK!

Just make extensions for the 5000 to make it work, you can see them in my signature list below. Easily done. I use it for an ML320 but built it for a friend who has a Cayenne, his cayman is fine on the 5000
iankarr
Very cool...those extensions look great.
tazz9924
I used a wuick jack today on my 914 and that thing is sweet! I bet u could get an engine out of there(not a v8 tho)
billh1963
I have a quickjack and am please with it.

However, I am seriously considering one of these for my next left. A portable single post.

Click to view attachment
Cairo94507
BendPak makes some nice lifts and they are great people to deal with. I had one of their 4-post lifts in my last home and just installed their new MDS-6LPF mid-rise scissor lift in the home I have now. It only has about 48" of lift height, but I no longer have the ceiling height I had at my old home. However, even with a 10' ceiling I can raise my cars all the way up with room to spare. I just did a service on my Audi S3 last weekend and it was easy to get under it with no problems. As a disclaimer, I am only 5'5" tall and I do not work for BendPak. biggrin.gif
Mark Henry
Two post smoke.gif
But you need 12' overhead.

I'm doing IMS Solution and clutch service on a 996 right now, up-down up-down...I love my two post lift. wub.gif
LowBridge
I would go with a 2 post but I don't have the overhead room for that, so we have a mid-rise scissor and love it.
mgphoto
EZ Car Lift
Working with it better part of 5 years, very portable, lots of options.
Company owner is a great guy, very responsive.

Click to view attachment
McMark
I have the 48" Harbor Freight scissor lift, that I got a LONG time ago from another member. It's worked fantastic and I haven't had any problems with it, but if I were to buy again (and I should soon) I'll get a brand name version -- likely BendPak.

It's a bit tricky for engine removal/installation, but that's a pretty common complaint for all these style lifts.
Gint
QUOTE(Mueller @ May 8 2018, 06:14 PM) *
I'm looking at the quickjack myself, I just need to see if I can use the 5000 lb rated one for the 914 (not too large for it?) since I need the higher capacity for my other vehicles.

Ian, which model do you have?
I was wondering that about the quickjack myself.

I already have a 4 post. I think I'm going to add one of these. MaxJax No need for a ton of overhead. Although that isn't an issue I have with a 11' ceiling.
BeatNavy
I got the Challenger MR6. All good - I liked the fact that it lifted a few inches higher than some of the others. But in the end, mid-rise scissors are largely the same. One of the main reasons I went with the Challenger is the reseller was willing to commit to putting this thing right into my garage. Other resellers wanted me to pick it up or have it delivered to a business that had a forklift.

Depending on what equipment you have (and where you live and what help you have), don't underestimate the logistics. These things are pretty bulky and hard to move around.
dflesburg
get maxjax, thats what I have, its amazing
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.