Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: BLIP-DAK....PLUNK
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
CptTripps
So I'm taking my wife out for the dirst 'long drive' since I put her back together. I'd just finished saying that I'd put 1,600mi on her without any problems, and not 20min later, I feel this strange vibration in the driver-front wheel.

While doing about 70 on the freeway...BLIP-DAK....PLUNK.....rattle rattle...brakes feel funny.

Lucally, our exit was next. I got off and pulled over at the first parking lot.

O started feeling around...nothing. I thought it was one of the o-clamps from the master cylendar brace. Nope...it's there and fine. (Again, great product Travis!)

I feel all the lines...all tight. I was about to say "O-Well, I'll get it later" when I thought to feel the calipers. WHOOPS! Driver-Front Caliper lost the bottom bolt!

Angie was about to freak out, and I went into my 'emergency' bag and pulled out a spare, and a 19mm wrench. 2min later, I had BOTH calipers tight (other was a LITTLE loose) and both brakes re-blead (thanks to the speed-bleeders) and we're on our way to see her favorite singer at a bar in Akron.

Aint it great when you can fix one of these things on your own, and get rollin in 2-shakes?

I just thought I'd share that...
skline
Good jub Doug, you do the Club proud. smilie_pokal.gif
xsboost90
yeah ive got the big tool bag in the front as well. My g/f was laughing at me when i was adjusting the clutch cable out at the cruise inn at dave and busters-put on the our local pca.

that reminds me, i need to double check my calipers are still tight!
TravisNeff
Nice catch and save Doug! We need patches like you get in cub scouts
Rick_Eberle
QUOTE (CptTripps @ Jun 9 2005, 12:55 PM)
So I'm taking my wife out for the dirst 'long drive' since I put her back together.

She must be one of those Stepford Wives!
CptTripps
QUOTE (Rick_Eberle @ Jun 8 2005, 10:17 PM)
So I'm taking my wife out for the dirst 'long drive' since I put her back together.

Don't I wish!

Wait....she's a Dr...maybe I don't wish that!

wink.gif
mistro
Where to you get speed bleeders and how hard are they to install? Rgds, Michael
BMartin914
Way to go Doug! Spare caliper bolt in the 'bag-o-tricks.' Who'd a thought?

Had the same thing happen to me in another car years ago. Ended up walking the road and found the bolt laying in the gutter - what luck!

After that - I always triple check and make sure those suckers are extra tight any time I need to take one loose.
rick 918-S
QUOTE (CptTripps @ Jun 8 2005, 07:43 PM)
QUOTE (Rick_Eberle @ Jun 8 2005, 10:17 PM)

Don't I wish!

Wait....she's a Dr...maybe I don't wish that!

wink.gif

Doctor? Ooooooh Cooool! wink.gif Nice save dood!

Reminds me of a story.

Doc brings his Jag into the mechanic for some repairs. Mechanic say's doc, what makes your work worth more than mine! I can repair your engine. My work is like surgury when I have to replace your oil pump it's just like the heart surgury you do.

Doc say's, That's fine..... Now try it with the motor running....
ArtechnikA
QUOTE (CptTripps @ Jun 8 2005, 10:55 PM)
Driver-Front Caliper lost the bottom bolt!

and people tell me i am paranoid and anal-retentive to safety-wire those bolts :-)

glad it turned out good for you.
CptTripps
Rick: That's funny...she got a kick out of that one.

Rich: How do you do that?

I'm using the BMW Fronts so the little washer-thing doesn't work. I'm going to put a few lock-washers or something on there...anyone else have an idea on that?
tdgray
Doug,

Get some lock-tite. Should solve the problem for good.
CptTripps
Yeah, I've got some, but I don't want to have it on so tight that I need to borrow an ape from the zoo to get it off of there. I guess I'll give that a whirl tonight.
ArtechnikA
QUOTE (CptTripps @ Jun 9 2005, 09:19 AM)
Rich: How do you do that?

I'm using the BMW Fronts so the little washer-thing doesn't work.

"little washer thing" ? confused24.gif

that's a new one on me...

get a safety-wire jig and several-many cobalt 1/16" drill bits. and a spool of 0.032" stainless-steel safety wire. Pegasus, Summit, and all the usual racer-supply places will have the wire, the jig, and the fancy wire-twister pliers.

drilling the corners of the bolts can be frustrating but it's probably best in this application, rather than trying to drill all the way through. use lots of cutting oil.

a search here will show several examples of good safety wire technique; recently the discussion has been on CV bolts, but it can be applied to any fastener you'd prefer didn't fall out on its own.

Carroll Smith's "Prepare To Win" has just about everything you'd need to know about basic car preparation, including good coverage on safety wire and techniques.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.