Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Anyone solve Elephant Racing front sway bar squeaking?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
RickS
Replaced the bushings and solved the issue for 2 drives. Using white lithium grease on the metal on metal bits, and silicone on the plastic bushing on metal didn’t help. Ready to replace them with a product that doesn’t squeak

1. Suggestions to de-squeak
2. Replacement alternatives
Click to view attachment
ConeDodger
Isn’t that actually a Tarett Bar? Sold by Elephant Racing?

I have the same bar for 6-7 years and I’ve got 0 squeak. I’d say it’s unlikely you are getting squeak from that bar and highly likely you’d get squeak from control arm bushings. Are the still rubber?

This pic is from the Tarett Engineering site. Look familiar?
Steve
I have the same tarret sway bar, no squeak.
tazz9924
It has polyurethane bushings yes? If so make sure you lubricated it, they tend to squeak if you don’t. (Edit) just saw u said u did lubricate it so maybe give it another try or it may be something else that isnt the swaybar
Mueller
With links disconnected from a-arms how easily can you turn the bar?

If something is bent or misaligned that could be your problem.

RickS
Pic is ripped from the ER site, but probably made by Tarret. Will see how freely it moves with links disconnected. Wonder if it is rubbing on bottom of gas tank. Can’t do anything since can’t walk due to a sudden medical issue. Will have to wait until the docs get it figured out. Thanks for responses.
jcd914
QUOTE(Mueller @ May 8 2018, 10:20 PM) *

With links disconnected from a-arms how easily can you turn the bar?

If something is bent or misaligned that could be your problem.

A lot of cars I installed sway bars on did not have parallel inner fender walls.
Meaning the bushing cups sat at slight angles to each other. Not a problem for a stock bar with rubber bushing but with solid plastic bushing it becomes an issue sometimes.

I used to get "Teflon" grease from Automotion, that was the thickest stickiest grease I have ever encountered. Once applied to something it was hard to get off. It did a great job of quieting down the poly bushing for sway bars, frt A-arms and rr trailing arms.

Jim
McMark
agree.gif Something's binding -OR- it's installed too high and the tank is sitting on the bar.
RickS
Will try the Teflon grease before pulling the tank and beating the hell out of the bottom. Thx
SirAndy
QUOTE(McMark @ May 9 2018, 03:14 PM) *
it's installed too high and the tank is sitting on the bar.

agree.gif

That's what is happening to mine, the bar hits the bottom of the tank when under load.

Last time i had the tank out, i could actually see the marks from the bar hitting it.
Unfortunately, i can't lift the tank up any more or it would hit the hood.

Bottom line, the bar was installed too high.
sad.gif
RickS
QUOTE(SirAndy @ May 9 2018, 08:24 PM) *

QUOTE(McMark @ May 9 2018, 03:14 PM) *
it's installed too high and the tank is sitting on the bar.

agree.gif

That's what is happening to mine, the bar hits the bottom of the tank when under load.

Last time i had the tank out, i could actually see the marks from the bar hitting it.
Unfortunately, i can't lift the tank up any more or it would hit the hood.

Bottom line, the bar was installed too high.
sad.gif

Now that would really suck. Get out the sledge and ‘modify’ the gas tank
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.