Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Radio choices
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
andreic
Hello,

I am slowly working my way towards getting a new (to me) 1972 914 1.7L in working condition.

Today the question was what to do about music (my son presses me on that issue). The car came to me with the original Sapphire XIX radio (it even has the "Porsche" logo on the AM/FM switch). The radio works well, but it is mono, and of course has no aux input (or bluetooth smile.gif ). However, it looks good in the dash as it is. I was wondering what people suggest I should do:

-- stick with the Sapphire and live with it;
-- get rid of it completely and install a modern receiver/bluetooth instead, with good speakers;
-- or maybe there is some way to keep the radio as it is, and put in some remote amp+bluetooth receiver in a way that allows me to use both the Sapphire and the bluetooth.

Is there anyone on this list with experience in modern and vintage installations?

Thanks,
Andrei.
ConeDodger
I think McMark has the best setup I’ve seen. He has no radio apparent. Somewhere hidden from view he has a Bluetooth receiver. He plays music from his phone or iPod.

In your case I’d keep that Saphire in dash. It’s period correct and desirable. Then, do what McMark did.

This is kind of a bad picture, but it shows the components of my speaker system. Tweeters in the dash. Replica speaker pods ahead of the doors. A sub in a fiberglass carpeted enclosure that mimics the size and shape of the big foam block in the passenger footwell. Up under the dash is an amp for the sub.
andreic
I was thinking of keeping the Sapphire and hiding under the dash somewhere an amp and bluetooth receiver. But I'd like to be able to listen to both the radio (Sapphire) and the bluetooth. Is there some way one can feed the output from the Sapphire to the power amp? I know the signal is way to strong, but is there some ready-made strength-reducer of the signal?
ConeDodger
Full disclosure, I’m no radio installer. My system sounds good because of McMark. But I wouldn’t think it would be good to amplify a lousy AM signal beyond what the head unit does anyway...
andreic
It's not that I would want to amplify the old radio more (it is loud enough as it is -- and BTW it has FM too! smile.gif ) but I would like to be able to us both. And I fear that if I send the output of a power amp into the same wires that come out of the Sapphire, that may fry the old radio...
Spoke
Radio in my 914 and 911 is SiriusXm on my phone with earbuds. Cuts down on the engine/car noise when driving.
Dion
I’m no where near ready to install but I ordered one of the kits from this
store. I just wanted a simple stereo and be able play music off my phone.

https://www.woodyscustomshop.com/the-classic-audio-solution/

Cheers, Dion
914Sixer
I have a couple of stereo Sapphires in the shop now. Should be ready soon. It would be an easy swap out IF you want to go that route.
Tom_T
QUOTE(andreic @ May 8 2018, 07:48 PM) *

Hello,

I am slowly working my way towards getting a new (to me) 1972 914 1.7L in working condition.

Today the question was what to do about music (my son presses me on that issue). The car came to me with the original Sapphire XIX radio (it even has the "Porsche" logo on the AM/FM switch). The radio works well, but it is mono, and of course has no aux input (or bluetooth smile.gif ). However, it looks good in the dash as it is. I was wondering what people suggest I should do:

-- stick with the Sapphire and live with it;
-- get rid of it completely and install a modern receiver/bluetooth instead, with good speakers;
-- or maybe there is some way to keep the radio as it is, and put in some remote amp+bluetooth receiver in a way that allows me to use both the Sapphire and the bluetooth.

Is there anyone on this list with experience in modern and vintage installations?

Thanks,
Andrei.

Andrei,

Woody's Customs sells adapters to modify your stock radio to add inputs, 2-4 speakers, etc. & even a pair of flat speakers which you can put behind or under the seats without "holing the doors"! They sell at the big Porsche Swap & Lit Meet here in LA every year & alot of the Porsche 356, 911/912/912E/930 & 914 guys use them, as well as at their evilbay store for you farther away.

https://www.woodyscustomshop.com/

http://stores.ebay.com/Woodys-Custom-Shop

Cheers! beerchug.gif
Tom
///////

worn
QUOTE(andreic @ May 8 2018, 09:32 PM) *

It's not that I would want to amplify the old radio more (it is loud enough as it is -- and BTW it has FM too! smile.gif ) but I would like to be able to us both. And I fear that if I send the output of a power amp into the same wires that come out of the Sapphire, that may fry the old radio...

I am worried about the same thing. Probably need a switch to avoid crosstalk. I have a nice looking Sapphire but I wish it worked on the AM side. It doesn't.
1adam12
What do you guys think of the Retro Sound head units? They have a great classic look with modern bluetooth tech option. Here's a link to their options for 914 Retro Sound for 914
clapeza
QUOTE(1adam12 @ May 9 2018, 11:49 AM) *

What do you guys think of the Retro Sound head units? They have a great classic look with modern bluetooth tech option. Here's a link to their options for 914 Retro Sound for 914

I've got a Hermosa model in my '72 911. Looks pretty good. Sounds pretty good. Lots of features, and it pairs quickly and seamlessly with my phone.

Here's what it looks like installed:
Click to view attachment
GeorgeRud
Of all the currently available aftermarket radios, this is the only one I’ve found that looks period correct for an older 911. I’m fortunate enough to have a working Blaupunkt Frankfurt in my -6.

Click to view attachment
McMark
George, that's a really nice looking radio. Thanks for sharing.

My car has no head unit. I installed a 4 channel amp under the dash. 2 channels for 6.5" L/R speakers in the stock location, the other 2 channels bridged for my sub.

I ordered off ebay for a couple bucks. It's got inputs for switches to Play/Pause, Skip Forward, Skip Back, Volume Up, Volume Down. I added removed the buttons from the circuit board and added wires to extend so I could reattach them under the ashtray. You can't see anything in the car-- I just know where the are and which ones are which. You can even add a microphone to enable bluetooth calling through this unit.

The output from the bluetooth unit goes to the inputs on the amp. Get in the car, the phone automatically hooks up, and works. So my dash ends up being completely blank.
worn
QUOTE(McMark @ May 10 2018, 08:33 AM) *

George, that's a really nice looking radio. Thanks for sharing.

My car has no head unit. I installed a 4 channel amp under the dash. 2 channels for 6.5" L/R speakers in the stock location, the other 2 channels bridged for my sub.

I ordered off ebay for a couple bucks. It's got inputs for switches to Play/Pause, Skip Forward, Skip Back, Volume Up, Volume Down. I added removed the buttons from the circuit board and added wires to extend so I could reattach them under the ashtray. You can't see anything in the car-- I just know where the are and which ones are which. You can even add a microphone to enable bluetooth calling through this unit.

The output from the bluetooth unit goes to the inputs on the amp. Get in the car, the phone automatically hooks up, and works. So my dash ends up being completely blank.

I have something similar in the console space. Not loud enough or as easy to control as yours.
andreic
Thanks for the advice, all. Quick other question: does anyone know if 4x6 speakers will fit in the original pods without modifying them, or only round 4" speakers will fit?

I took out one of the pods, and inside there is a round 4" speaker, but it looked like there is some space left. Unfortunately I don't have a 4x6" speaker handy to test if it will fit before ordering some nice speakers online...
GeorgeRud
Yes, they do fit (perhaps with a bit of modification to the bolt holes). I have some in my -6 though I don’t remember the brand.
JmuRiz
I used infinity 4x6 plate speakers (basically 4” and a tweeter components mounted on a plate with the crossover) w/o modification.
914Sixer
Thin form 5x7 speakers are closer to the originals.
andreic
I just ordered the infinity 4x6 plate speakers JmuRiz talked about, let’s see how they work out.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.