Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: ERP 935 Front Suspensions
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
nine14cats
The "Beast" is getting closer to being built. By that I'm still MONTHS away from firing her up....but the parts list is almost complete.

Does anyone have experience with the ERP 935 Front Suspension? They reason I ask is that by buying one of these it will make it much easier to mount my Woodward Power Steering rack in my car (less fab work) and I get the adjustability.

Anyone running one in a 914 or 911?

Thanks,

Bill P.
d914
requires full coil over front end with recomendation of roll cage/tube support..
Mueller
Hey Bill,

I had one customer for my needle bearings that "removed" that setup from his 3.8 powered 911 street car and prefers the needle bearings...he couldn't get anyone to tune it to his liking (I believe he had JW or one of those guys do the install and initial tuning, he then took it up to the guys in Sonoma and he still didn't like it)

it seems to be one of those items that you swear by or swear at depending on how well the setup is done.....

maybe for street car, this was too much and for you it'll be better........

TravisNeff
I have read a bunch of stuff on the 935 style front end, the bottom line was NOT to run them on the street. Mucho cool though
Mueller
QUOTE (Travis Neff @ Jun 8 2005, 08:18 PM)
I have read a bunch of stuff on the 935 style front end, the bottom line was NOT to run them on the street. Mucho cool though

Bills car is going to be dedicated for auto-x and track use....I'd ask about the life of the hiem-joints, I thought I heard that they often need replacement once a year...I could be totally wrong, so please don't qoute me....
nine14cats
Hi Mike,

Thanks for the feedback. This is exactly what I need to understand the pro's and con's, and to ask questions.

Mike's right, this car is a 1974 914, tube frame rear, Sheridan Body Work, full cage, 3.6 litre 993 motor, 915 WEVO box with custom gears and tranny oil cooling pump, power steering, raised suspension points, etc.....

Hopefully it will be quick enough to make up for my driving and age to keep me competitive. laugh.gif

Bill P.

Jeroen
if you wanna go the 935 route, check with Kanna motorsports (Kevin Schilling) as well
they have a similar setup, with some minor design changes
one of those is that (some/all) the mounting points are in double shear (where the ERP is in single)
IIRC they're a couple a bucks cheaper too

that's all I can say about it...
Brett W
It still doesn't fix the biggest problem with the stock type front suspension (other than the whole, it uses struts problem). The lower control arms are too short and allow way to much roll center movement in roll, thus making the car harder to drive. If it is a tube frame chassis just build your own lower control arms. Make them as long as possible. Raise the pick-up points up a couple of inches from the stock location and go from there.
brant
Bill,

I know a couple of PCA GT teener racers that run the above system...

the feedback I've heard from them was that its too adjustable and takes too much fiddling to make it work.

fine for a race team with multiple crew and lots of temps/statistics....

but too much work for a one man race team, too hard to get set.

Still those guys didn't change back because they had a big investment in it already. They just had a tiny bit of buyers remorse.

beautiful looking though!

brant
nine14cats
Hey guys,

Thanks for the feedback. It's a mixed bag with this thing. You go down one path (power steering) and it leads to others.

The control arms are in ok shape, and I have a set of Mueller's roller bearings for the front. Int he rear we already have the roller bearings. The front and rear attachment points were cut and welded 2 inches up from their original positions using a Celette bench.

Jerry Woods Enterprises will be maintaining the car. They are firm believers in the ERP system but acknowledge they have most of their experience on 911's and not 914's. There is more fabrication in attaching the power steering to the old suspension assembly than there is with bolting up the ERP. It's really closer to a push in money considering the fab work.

I don't know....so many choices. blink.gif

laugh.gif

Bill P.

neo914-6
QUOTE (nine14cats @ Jun 8 2005, 07:12 PM)
Does anyone have experience with the ERP 935 Front Suspension?  They reason I ask is that by buying one of these it will make it much easier to mount my Woodward Power Steering rack in my car (less fab work) and I get the adjustability.

Well there goes the "cheaper" power steering set-up. laugh.gif huh.gif biggrin.gif sad.gif ohmy.gif sad.gif
nine14cats
barf.gif yep...the GM unit had some logic issues with the ECU. I didn't like the other "cheaper" alternatives. I wanted something bullet proof.. ar15.gif rolleyes.gif

so....not so cheap solution going in....

more to come....

lot$ more...

Bill P.
Dave_Darling
IIRC, Dave Ferguson had a similar (not identical I think!) setup on his green car. I don't know who wound up with it, but Dave seemed pretty happy with it.

--DD
nine14cats
thanks for the info Dave! smilie_pokal.gif

Bill P.
TimT
We have the ERP 935 set up in our 935 clone IIRC the piece that replaces the crossmember raises the rear mounting points about an inch. Its also really easy to change alignment with theses pieces.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.