Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: 71
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Abeck914
Hi all,

I’ve been meaning to introduce myself for a couple months now. My name is Aaron and last February I bought the orange 71 914 that was in the classifieds section on this forum after lurking for 4 months.

I arrived here after a couple year search [and saving] for a fun yet reasonable toy. I had ridden in an exige S during a Lotus club ride along RTs 76/79 and up the backside and down the front side of MT Palomar, and left thinking I need one of those. During my stretch of saving, the exiges went up in value to what I feel is unreasonable for my financial status, leaving me looking for an alternative.

Fast forward to October of 2017 when that same friend brought me as co-driver to the Baja Targa in his 69 BMW 2002 which had a cheater engine and 5-speed. I never suspected that I would have as much fun in that car as I ended up having. I attribute it mostly to the handling as it was really dialed in and stayed pinned to the ground the entire event through La Rumorosa and San Pedro Martir.

Upon my return I looked at some Alfas and TVRs, but quality and cost never lined up. Then I was able to take a 914 for a spin and realized it was the closest feel to the exige that I was going to be able to get, having a low stance with engine next to my ear, and handling like a go-kart. So, price lined up on the orange one and I trailered it home with enough time to get it registered for spring. Along with it being a driver and needing minor betterments it turned out to be a good situation.

I’m also grateful that this community seems to be very friendly and am somewhat surprised that some of the more established names have already been so willing to talk to me. I’m not all that knowledgeable about repairing things but enjoy trying and learning so the help is a relief. I don’t have many plans for it other than just replacing anything that is necessary and mostly driving related, and just enjoy driving the snot out of it. I have been enjoying 2nd and 3rd gears a lot this past week, but am already feeling interested in another 50-75hp….and after attaining the extra hp driving it in the Baja Targa in 2019 or 2020.

To be continued!

(I tried to add a pic but my desktop gives me the response that this site has moved?)
krazykonrad
welcome.png

Ask as many questions as you can. I don't think that there is a 914 question that someone here (other than me) doesn't have an expert answer to.

Konrad
mepstein
welcome.png

Did you buy Chris’s car?
SirAndy
QUOTE(Abeck914 @ May 9 2018, 09:07 AM) *
(I tried to add a pic but my desktop gives me the response that this site has moved?)

http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?showtopic=94568

smile.gif

PS: welcome.png
nditiz1
welcome.png

I rode in your car before you purchased it. I couldn't swing the amount last August and lucked out and found my 73.

The car was great! Hope you got that fuel smell worked out.
ChrisFoley
We put one of my mufflers on that car and did a small amount of chassis repair after replacing the engine two years ago.
Funny that Nick bought a car from up here and you bought the one from near him.
Abeck914
careful. I'm good at asking questions. even stupid ones. sometimes 2 and 3 times.

QUOTE(krazykonrad @ May 9 2018, 10:34 AM) *

welcome.png

Ask as many questions as you can. I don't think that there is a 914 question that someone here (other than me) doesn't have an expert answer to.

Konrad

Abeck914
Yes, I did. Sorry I was flying back from Costa Rica during the Hershey swap meet.

I'll plan better next time.

- Aaron

QUOTE(mepstein @ May 9 2018, 10:45 AM) *

welcome.png

Did you buy Chris’s car?

Abeck914
yup, file size was too large. thank you!

QUOTE(SirAndy @ May 9 2018, 10:46 AM) *

QUOTE(Abeck914 @ May 9 2018, 09:07 AM) *

http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?showtopic=94568

smile.gif

PS: welcome.png

Abeck914
I don't want to ask.

ordered the gasket on top of the tank. installed it and noticed there is a missing hex bolt - waiting for that to arrive now. so no, I haven't, hoping it is just that opening where the bolt is missing. next thought was filler cap gasket, but it doesn't look that bad.

QUOTE(nditiz1 @ May 9 2018, 11:38 AM) *

welcome.png

I rode in your car before you purchased it. I couldn't swing the amount last August and lucked out and found my 73.

The car was great! Hope you got that fuel smell worked out.

Abeck914
coming to see you once my short list is done.

are you open on saturdays?

-Aaron

QUOTE(Racer Chris @ May 9 2018, 12:02 PM) *

We put one of my mufflers on that car and did a small amount of chassis repair after replacing the engine two years ago.
Funny that Nick bought a car from up here and you bought the one from near him.

nditiz1
I was very keen on buying it I had mocked up pictures of adding 5 lug fuchs lol

Click to view attachment
ChrisFoley
QUOTE(Abeck914 @ May 9 2018, 03:47 PM) *

-Aaron

I am available on Saturdays by appointment only. smile.gif
Abeck914
QUOTE(nditiz1 @ May 9 2018, 01:49 PM) *

I was very keen on buying it I had mocked up pictures of adding 5 lug fuchs lol

Click to view attachment

Oh thanks for sharing that, I was contemplating those too!
Abeck914
QUOTE(Racer Chris @ May 9 2018, 02:08 PM) *

-Aaron

Ok, now I'm looking at June 11, monday. is that a swing in near lunch kind of day?
Abeck914
UPDATE:

All lights working (except reverse lights).

brake pads and rotors done. fluid drained and filled and bled.

Elephant racing trailing arm kit installed.

Gas filler neck gasket bolt tonight.

Mirror done, but then broke by neighbor last night, will fix again soon.

a little dashboard area touch up this weekend.

just need an alignment now.

- front sway bar planned for August.

driving.gif
ChrisFoley
QUOTE(Abeck914 @ May 15 2018, 02:05 PM) *

-Aaron

Ok, now I'm looking at June 11, monday. is that a swing in near lunch kind of day?

If you call ahead it should be fine.
We might be able to fit in an alignment for you that day but reserving the whole afternoon would be necessary. My alignment rig is outdoors so would require good weather.
Don't trust a tire place or other alignment shop.
Larmo63
Good for you that your "starting place" is way better than what a lot of people start with here. Ask as many questions as you want, there are some really smart people here. That looks like a fun car, and......

welcome.png
Cairo94507
welcome.png Nice buy. Great looking car. I like the way it looks. If you are considering wheels, have you considered just having the current black wheels power coated to a gun metal silver?
EdwardBlume
agree.gif

Cool car!

welcome.png
PanelBilly
Welcome to the neighborhood
Shadowfax
welcome.png
Nice looking car. Reverse lights could be a worn actuator pin or the switch itself.
ChrisFoley
QUOTE(Shadowfax @ May 16 2018, 11:52 AM) *

welcome.png
Nice looking car. Reverse lights could be a worn actuator pin or the switch itself.

I have rod stock so we can cut our own actuator pins. The switch is easy to test.
RickS
Welcome to the club by another 71 owner. These are truly under appreciated little wonders. You will have a blast dialing yours in.
Abeck914
QUOTE(Racer Chris @ May 15 2018, 12:37 PM) *

QUOTE(Abeck914 @ May 15 2018, 02:05 PM) *

-Aaron

If you call ahead it should be fine.
We might be able to fit in an alignment for you that day but reserving the whole afternoon would be necessary. My alignment rig is outdoors so would require good weather.
Don't trust a tire place or other alignment shop.

Oh, thank you, I was considering it just to get it done. I'll save it for you. Let me get back to you in a week or so to schedule.
Abeck914
QUOTE(Larmo63 @ May 15 2018, 02:47 PM) *

Good for you that your "starting place" is way better than what a lot of people start with here. Ask as many questions as you want, there are some really smart people here. That looks like a fun car, and......

welcome.png

I've learned this lesson in the past on a 1964 FJ45!
Abeck914
QUOTE(Cairo94507 @ May 16 2018, 06:52 AM) *

welcome.png Nice buy. Great looking car. I like the way it looks. If you are considering wheels, have you considered just having the current black wheels power coated to a gun metal silver?

I hadn't, but honestly, even though I think about the Fuch's - wheels are low on the list. I like the minilites too so, no biggie for now.
Abeck914
thanks for the welcoming everyone!

this is fun so far!
Abeck914
After installing 8th bolt [and washer] into gas filler neck gasket I still have the gas smell. I've been reading a lot on it. I'm concentrating on the front trunk area first.

So far:

new gas filler neck gasket.
added 8th bolt to above and all 8 are snug.
visual check of nonvented cap and cap gasket, no action, maybe revisit later, as appears fine.
visual check of all hoses in front trunk from above. all appear dry and connected [correctly].

this weekend:

open up overflow vent tube as it is pinched.
visual check of fuel pump.
visual check of fuel filter.
replace charcoal.
hose down driveway, pull car out, look for rainbows.
check vent hose exits beneath car to exterior.

note:

fuel injected
SS lines already installed by Tangerine.

MY QUESTION today:

I read in a post that there is a gasket between the EVAP tank and fuel tank. Is this accurate? I haven't located it on a parts diagram is why i ask, and I usually click on the associated number to then order.

If this gasket does indeed exist/is required, can someone assist me with locating how to order it online?

I guess once confirmed I could call all the parts suppliers, so just confirmation knowing it should be on the parts diagram would be appreciated.

Thank you,

Aaron
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.