Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Flares on a /4
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Literati914
I hope this isn't controversial but... Are there members here who's street cars have flared fenders but still have an original /4 in it, whether overbored or not? What's the general feeling towards this?
I'm kind of conflicted... I love a flared car but if there's no real need - it feels a little pretentious.

I guess this question goes hand in hand with "what's the biggest tire for a given /4" ..and obviously I know there are narrow body /6's too. So, It's personal preference in that instance.

Back in '05 I bought a flared /4 that was a dedicated track car- that I put back on the street and daily drove for 2 yrs .. I can not remember the specifications of the engine because I immediately converted it to a six (2.7CIS). Sold that car and now I have a 2056cc /4 that I'll start off with after rustoration, paint and body of my latest project. So, If I'm going to add flares I need to make my plans now. I'm probably going to run 15x7 all around, which I know will fit with some lip rolling on the rear.... or I could add some spacers if flaring. Thoughts?
dr914@autoatlanta.com
If the fenders and quarters are really nice NO WAY. If the body is ragged, steel flares are a great addition. It is the rage these days to add the GT steel flares to RAGGED 914 bodies as a way of accomplishing the great GT look, adding wider wheels and tires, and increasing the value of ones formally ragged looking 914
McMark
Flared cars are worth more... because people want them. People like flares. If you want them, they're a good choice for any car.
pete000
I like both narrow and wide body, So I have two cars one wide, one narrow...
mb911
agree.gif with all the above.. Thats what I did with my rough to start chassis though I have a six going into it.

I went as far to make the steel GT rocker flare ends and sold a bunch to other members wanting to don the same thing.

ConeDodger
QUOTE(dr914@autoatlanta.com @ May 9 2018, 06:50 PM) *

If the fenders and quarters are really nice NO WAY. If the body is ragged, steel flares are a great addition. It is the rage these days to add the GT steel flares to RAGGED 914 bodies as a way of accomplishing the great GT look, adding wider wheels and tires, and increasing the value of ones formally ragged looking 914

Who the f*ch's car are you talking about? There was nothing ragged about my car...
Chris914n6
I'd only do flares if the engine needed bigger tires. Even then, 225 will fit under rolled rears, so what do you really gain for the $2-3k in parts & labor?

Definitely no if you are still running 4 lug.
McMark
QUOTE(Chris914n6 @ May 9 2018, 06:14 PM) *

You sure about that, Chris? laugh.gif poke.gif
IPB Image
Gint
It's your car, build it the way you want it. You have to drive it, look at it in your garage, etc... There are plenty of 4 cylinder flared 914s running aroud these days too.

Do you like flared or narrow bodied 914s? Which one do you want in your garage the most?
GeorgeRud
I have one of each, and they’re both fun. Just don’t do it with fiberglass if it’s a street car!
Click to view attachment
xperu
QUOTE(Dougster @ May 9 2018, 04:48 PM) *

I hope this isn't controversial but... Are there members here who's street cars have flared fenders but still have an original /4 in it, whether overbored or not? What's the general feeling towards this?
I'm kind of conflicted... I love a flared car but if there's no real need - it feels a little pretentious.

I guess this question goes hand in hand with "what's the biggest tire for a given /4" ..and obviously I know there are narrow body /6's too. So, It's personal preference in that instance.

Back in '05 I bought a flared /4 that was a dedicated track car- that I put back on the street and daily drove for 2 yrs .. I can not remember the specifications of the engine because I immediately converted it to a six (2.7CIS). Sold that car and now I have a 2056cc /4 that I'll start off with after rustoration, paint and body of my latest project. So, If I'm going to add flares I need to make my plans now. I'm probably going to run 15x7 all around, which I know will fit with some lip rolling on the rear.... or I could add some spacers if flaring. Thoughts?

You should building the car you want, If I had the money I would them on my 4. Mike
mepstein
QUOTE(Gint @ May 9 2018, 06:35 PM) *

It's your car, build it the way you want it. You have to drive it, look at it in your garage, etc... There are plenty of 4 cylinder flared 914s running aroud these days too.

Do you like flared or narrow bodied 914s? Which one do you want in your garage the most?

Exactly! What will make you happy when you open the garage door.
Spoke
It's your car, do what you want.

To fit 8" wheels on the rear of my /4 I pulled the fenders out.
Coondog
This post was just another way of saying what size tires will fit........... poke.gif poke.gif
mgp4591
QUOTE(Spoke @ May 9 2018, 05:10 PM) *

Sweet job!
Any details about how the fenders were pulled because that's the look I was going for...
shades.gif
TheCabinetmaker
Richard Fisher has the sweetest flares ever! Clay, you have a pic?
GregAmy
To me...the sin is not over-fendering a 914, it's over-tiring and over-wheeling a low-power car. Add huge wheels and tires to a 100hp car, and you're actually making it slower. And that's a sin. wink.gif

QUOTE(Spoke @ May 9 2018, 07:10 PM) *

And right as I'm looking around for a good photo of Richie Ginther's early-70s SCCA prod racers to show as an example, cars that were powered by hot fours, I see this photo.

That is sweet. That is classic.

That is not a sin.
Larmo63
About the only time I feel I need more tire is when I'm doing Route 66 or the WCR with 30 other crazy guys in 914s.

I love the preliminary drivers' meetings, Tis is not a race, guys!"

(it's ALWAYS a race)

driving.gif
Spoke
QUOTE(mgp4591 @ May 9 2018, 08:21 PM) *

QUOTE(Spoke @ May 9 2018, 05:10 PM) *

Sweet job!
Any details about how the fenders were pulled because that's the look I was going for...
shades.gif

Thanks. Used a BFH and a bunch of metal dollies. I probably did everything wrong when pulling out a fender but it worked in the end.

Here's a link to thread about my car. This is the first pic with the pulled out fenders.

Spoke's Green 914

Click to view attachment
Steve
There will always be the crowd that says if it’s mint leave it alone, because most people are like me and will want to flair and convert it to a six. It’s your car... build your dream car.
snakemain
My 2316 has flares and 7.5s and 9s and uses every bit of rubber I have underneath.
Literati914
QUOTE(Chris914n6 @ May 9 2018, 05:14 PM) *

I'd only do flares if the engine needed bigger tires. Even then, 225 will fit under rolled rears, so what do you really gain for the $2-3k in parts & labor?

I wasn't asking for permission to put flares on my /4, but rather trying to get the pulse of the group as a whole - to help me make a decision.. and honestly if most of the opinions were a 'Ney' as Chris' quote above, I probably would have leaned against doing it too. I do see his point. Fortunately it doesn't seem to be an issue either way with most folks here. I love GT style flares (not so much other types) and think I'll be adding them. I've had both narrow and flared 914s at different times, both daily drivers. BTW - I'll be doing all the cutting, welding, body and paint work (not my first rodeo there) so it'll be a little more affordable. Now, to scrape up some more money headbang.gif
Literati914
QUOTE(dr914@autoatlanta.com @ May 9 2018, 04:50 PM) *

If the fenders and quarters are really nice NO WAY. If the body is ragged, steel flares are a great addition.

QUOTE(Steve @ May 9 2018, 09:57 PM) *

There will always be the crowd that says if it’s mint leave it alone, because most people are like me and will want to flair and convert it to a six. It’s your car... build your dream car.

Yea, sounds like my current project car is perfect in it's imperfection, for flares. Definitely not mint, couple areas are gonna need time with my slide hammer.
Justinp71
Do it if you want to do it. Its more of a body style preference I think. I was following around a really nice flared red car, I thought it was a six until I saw the motor. If you aren't going 5 lug I would tend to agree no flares though. Can't get very nice wide authentic wheels in 4 lug and it ends up looking cheap IMHO.
SirAndy
QUOTE(Dougster @ May 9 2018, 02:48 PM) *
Thoughts?

Here's what my 1.7L /4 looked like when i bought it. 80 mighty horsepower ...
biggrin.gif

IPB Image

thelogo
Honestly would never do it for looks screwy.gif

But if the cars power demands more rubber then you should flare
It for big tires .

I always tell guys at car shows, look at what my 914 is capable of with15 inch rubber . Its actually designed for handleing well

As opposed to say a ferrari with huge wide massive 20 inch tires
And lightweight body and monster engine .

Marnello has the formula correct but doubt you see alot of
Supercars on 195-60-15

Chris914n6
QUOTE(McMark @ May 9 2018, 03:16 PM) *

QUOTE(Chris914n6 @ May 9 2018, 06:14 PM) *

You sure about that, Chris? laugh.gif poke.gif
IPB Image

Now more than ever lol-2.gif

Not pretty wheels.

Mueller
Like mentioned already, I'd spring for steel flares if going that route.

Nothing wrong with having GT flares on a /4 banger, I wouldn't do it with a bone stock motor myself, but it's your car and money in the end.

Unpretentious
Where’s Oscar in this discussion? He’s got a beautiful 4 with flares. Got the award for the Best Looking Car, or similar wording, at the Route 66.
dr914@autoatlanta.com
The cars really look great with the flares, unlike some cars that have flares added

Click to view attachment
dr914@autoatlanta.com
maybe one of your brilliant computer guys could turn that picture right side up for me!!!
napasteve
Not a computer guy but here you go
Click to view attachment
dr914@autoatlanta.com
thank you
mepstein
The factory 914-6 M471 have GT flares and 6" wheels.
Literati914
QUOTE(mepstein @ May 10 2018, 03:12 PM) *

The factory 914-6 M471 have GT flares and 6" wheels.

Good point !
mbseto
I think your gut feeling is right.
Steve
After I put my 2.7 in, I noticed throttle induced oversteer. I cut off the rear fenders and riveted on fiberglass Gt flairs. I then went to 245 in the rear. Solved that problem, but now that I have AA steel replica flairs front and rear, I am able to go to 225 or bigger up front. Big difference diving into corners at willow springs with larger front tires.
mlindner
Yup, flares....have fun. Click to view attachment
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.