Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Every Once in a While, a Good Deal Pops Up
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
euro911
I was originally looking for an inexpensive vintage AM/FM radio to fill the empty radio hole in the Ghia's dash, but unfortunately, finding something decent (working & not missing knobs, etc.) was either like finding hen's teeth or going for stupid money. I know I can buy a modern radio with removable face-plates & such (I've purchased a few from World members in the past) on the cheap (<$40.), but the newer radio's dimensions are just a tad too large for some of the older cars' radio slots. Also, I didn't want to cut out the slot to accept a modern radio.

I posted a question on the Samba site asking what others with the same dilemma were doing. I received several suggestions, but one responder asked if I would be interested in a working Blaupunkt 'Coburg' complete with face-plate and knobs, etc. (and he posted a pic)

Click to view attachment

I replied that it looked great and sounded like a possible solution, but that he probably wanted more $ than I wanted to spend (since I'll probably be listing the Ghia for sale in the near future).

He sent me a PM with additional info on the radio:

"This is a signal-seeking radio...it'll automatically find stations within broadcast range with the push of a button.
Good clear reception on both AM & FM bands. The dial is in very nice condition with both a working light and a "Power On" indicator. There's also a 6-pin connector on the rear of the chassis that'll allow you to connect an iPod or other MP3 device (using an adapter) and play it thru the radio. There's a power antenna connection on rear panel too.
The radio includes a fused power cable & speaker wires, as well as the faceplate and knobs seen in the photo. It operates on 12VDC, negative ground only."

... and he asked if $100. shipped (insured) was too much?

I checked out the price other vendors were asking and it didn't take me long to decide that I'd buy it ... however, it won't be going in the Ghia after all ... it's going to replace the non-vintage looking Pioneer AM/FM/cassette player that the PO installed in my '66 912 biggrin.gif ... so that Pioneer will find a new home in the Ghia - and problem solved shades.gif

Here's a youtube video about the radio ...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=/6SjYeSsesxA
Unobtanium-inc
I agree, got a call last week from a guy who had a car he wanted to sell. It was a 1990 944 S2 Cabriolet. I said I wasn't interested, too new, don't know how to work on them, no idea on value, etc. He said I wasn't listening, he was moving, down sizing, and wanted it gone fast. I loaded it on the trailer, put a fresh battery in it, and put 30 miles on it in the mountains. I decided to pass on the love, the car is on ebay with no reserve.
914Sixer
Radio was a great deal. Just because the dial says 104 (Euro version) on FM most dial all the way to 108 so you don't miss any stations. Radios average $150-200 just to look at them plus parts. Then you have to add back in the original cost of the radio.
Amphicar770
I see a lot of"good deals" fall apart at, "pay me by wire transfer or Western Union".
Justinp71
QUOTE(Amphicar770 @ May 11 2018, 05:07 AM) *

I see a lot of"good deals" fall apart at, "pay me by wire transfer or Western Union".

Transfer of funds is always what worries me the most. There are alot of criminals out there, but also alot of new legit ways people are paying. Sometimes hard to know what to trust.
Chris H.
Great deal Mark! I had no idea you had a Ghia in your car hoard.
913B
WOW, that's great. piratenanner.gif aktion035.gif smilie_pokal.gif
SixerJ
Mike Seer at Chromelondon is a great guy. I bought a close but no cigar radio from him off eBay because I couldn’t find anywhere a EMEA 72 Frankfurt

I gave him a call as I work in London and could I pick it up rather than ship, we got talking, turns out he’s a Porsche guy

He asked what car it was going into, stated that the radio was totally wrong for my car and he wouldn’t let me put it in. He had the the correct Frankfurt but would take a few weeks, normally would be quite a bit more money but I could have it for the same as the wrong eBay one

Radio was shipped in the end, he threw in an internal aerial booster, iPod docking lead, multiple speaker plugs and fuse harness - all totally un asked for. Everything I needed to fit

Year later I had not got around to fitting it, needed a different faceplate as mine was cut around. Spoke again to get the right plate. Gave me a stainless dash plate and a roll of matching German vynal so I could grain match the whole dash

I returned the love by giving him my old broken US radio that came with the -4. Selector buttons went to Singapore, tuner to someone in Ohio / rest on the shelf for spares

euro911
QUOTE(Chris H. @ May 11 2018, 11:16 AM) *
Great deal Mark! I had no idea you had a Ghia in your car hoard.
Yep, but it'll be going on the market when I finish it ... my wife wants some sort of SUV again.

Click to view attachment

OT, I got a call from Randy at Automeister today ... my Vanagon is ready with a fresh 2.1L in it aktion035.gif

driving.gif
Chris H.
thumb3d.gif Nice. Will be interesting to hear what you think of the 2.1 vs. 1.9.

What year is the Ghia? Looks like very early '70's.
euro911
It's a '70, Chris.

Yeah, I'm really looking forward to seeing what the increased displacement in 'Eileen's' engine bay has to offer mueba.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.