Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Petersen Museum
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
mgphoto
A friend and I took a trip to the Petersen Automotive Museum to see the year long installation entitled The Porsche Effect.
Lots of really COOL stuff, but as it seems with most Porsche associated displays, the 914 had no effect.
The only mention was on a column in the center of a stairway which listed both the 914 and the 916 along with the other enumerations.
Click to view attachment

The only other items I could find were some laminated advertisements which featured the bastard stepchild along with other aliterations of the marque.

Click to view attachment

Don't get me wrong, it is a great collection of equipment you may never see. I love the Carrera 6, the 910, the 917 and the 917/30!
Click to view attachment

But again, I became aware of that outsider feeling I had for years.

It was on the ride home that I began to change my attitude, I began to realize that any of our cars that are not on jack stand, "living and breathing" 914's are being driven, and driven hard by owners who love there little mid-engined Porsches.
As for me I wouldn't give up driving my car for a year to put it on display for others to see, they can just try to catch up to me in traffic, take a peek and give me a thumbs up.

Click to view attachment
914_7T3
There were a few 914s on the vault tour, but unfortunately photos are not allowed.
mgphoto
QUOTE(914 7T3 @ May 10 2018, 09:42 AM) *

There were a few 914s on the vault tour, but unfortunately photos are not allowed.

Anything special?
SKL1
Been planning on doing that along with a trip to the Reagan Library- and will have to hit the Porsche Experience Center on the way back to AZ...

Hopefully this fall when back in AZ- back in IA for a while and that's a little more road trip than I'm interested in right now! Have the Parade coming up in early July! (Going back to Tan Tara as I was there for the Parade in 1983!)

burton73
QUOTE(SKL1 @ May 10 2018, 10:40 AM) *

Been planning on doing that along with a trip to the Reagan Library- and will have to hit the Porsche Experience Center on the way back to AZ...

Hopefully this fall when back in AZ- back in IA for a while and that's a little more road trip than I'm interested in right now! Have the Parade coming up in early July! (Going back to Tan Tara as I was there for the Parade in 1983!)

Porsche @Peterson will be very cool but the Reagan Library is also very cool. Go on Air Force One from the Reagan time and they give you a picture of you exiting the jet.

Nice memorial for the past Governor and President.

Bob B
Manny Alban
Did you tour The Vault at the Peterson? I went last weekend and they have the 916 Brutus as well as a 914/6 GT.
napasteve
I was there on May 4th. The vault was not open. It was still a fun tour.
914xr75
My favorite car at the exhibit was this beauty.....Click to view attachment
Cupomeat
QUOTE(mgphoto @ May 10 2018, 12:46 PM) *

Anything special?

I Finally got to the museum on Thursday and did the Vault tour. The two 914s in the vault were:
1. The LeMans class winning 914-6 GT from 1970

2. A 916 (prototype, well, really they all were)

All in all, the vault is fantastic and given how few cars were in the Porsche Effect, I am not surprised the 914 was not there...

BEAUTIFUL cars anyway!
914-300Hemi
I was there yesterday and a gentlemen asked why a 914 wasn’t on display. They said the 914’s, 924’s, 944’s, 968’s were not covered and they have 914’s in the vault.
He also mentioned that the 914’s are leaving the vault in the next couple of days.
Beach914
Went a couple of Saturdays ago for the first time to see my projects sister and take some close up photos of it for my resto.
Took my wife for lunch at the Porsche Experience in Carson on the way home for a great Saturday!

Reading the plaque whiles I was there I realized that the information stated is completely incorrect. I sent an email to the Museum to see if they cared to try and correct it.

Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
Lucky9146
Had the Vault tour on 5-30-18 and this was one of the few opportunities to take pictures at this special event.
driving.gif white914.jpg

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment
Lucky9146
Brutus was, at the time, a lot more elusive, stuck back in a corner! I knew nothing about that particular car until later on after the tour. Posted on my thread and got some education. beerchug.gif

On the tour we were allowed to take all the pictures we wanted but were limited toy not being able to walk between cars parked next to each other WTF.gif

That said I only got these shots of the 916 confused24.gif
driving.gif white914.jpg

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment
horizontally-opposed
QUOTE(Lucky9146 @ Aug 5 2018, 08:31 AM) *

Brutus was, at the time, a lot more elusive, stuck back in a corner! I knew nothing about that particular car until later on after the tour. Posted on my thread and got some education. beerchug.gif

On the tour we were allowed to take all the pictures we wanted but were limited toy not being able to walk between cars parked next to each other WTF.gif

driving.gif white914.jpg

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

"Dr. 914" was heavily involved in the car above, and can probably share more on it.

QUOTE(Beach914 @ Aug 5 2018, 07:34 AM) *

Went a couple of Saturdays ago for the first time to see my projects sister and take some close up photos of it for my resto.
Took my wife for lunch at the Porsche Experience in Carson on the way home for a great Saturday!

Reading the plaque whiles I was there I realized that the information stated is completely incorrect. I sent an email to the Museum to see if they cared to try and correct it.

Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment

The 936 Jr's previous owner helped with the exhibit and will forget more than I'll ever learn about Porsche...so I am curious about what's wrong with the info presented? Could be the author got it wrong, but now you have me curious...
Beach914
QUOTE(horizontally-opposed @ Aug 5 2018, 09:21 AM) *

QUOTE(Lucky9146 @ Aug 5 2018, 08:31 AM) *

driving.gif white914.jpg

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

"Dr. 914" was heavily involved in the car above, and can probably share more on it.

QUOTE(Beach914 @ Aug 5 2018, 07:34 AM) *

Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment

The 936 Jr's previous owner helped with the exhibit and will forget more than I'll ever learn about Porsche...so I am curious about what's wrong with the info presented? Could be the author got it wrong, but now you have me curious...

Five cars were made by Dan McLaughlin, the A.I.R. Founder. I have communicated with the manufacturer of the later "Jules" 936 Jr's, a gentlemen from Poland, and he was never aware of these versions. One individual communicated with me on my 936jr thread here in the Garage and said he originally had two but sold one. The cars are the Canepa car shown here, mine, a Dan Mcglaughlin car sold on an estate auction site in Wisconsin in 2016, 914World member Stigg, and I think a car thats in Japan and on a YouTube video I posted. All appear to be distinctly different and are identifiable in the photos/videos I have seen.

I am enjoying the pursuit of the history of these as it all comes together.
Ed_Turbo
QUOTE(914-300Hemi @ Aug 5 2018, 07:34 AM) *

I was there yesterday and a gentlemen asked why a 914 wasn’t on display. They said the 914’s, 924’s, 944’s, 968’s were not covered and they have 914’s in the vault.
He also mentioned that the 914’s are leaving the vault in the next couple of days.

He viewed the vault, lucky! pray.gif

914’s aren’t on display because there is another special vault for these cars called the Porsche rust effect (drumroll). laugh.gif

Ok, I have nothing it is too dang hot man.

-Ed
horizontally-opposed
QUOTE(Beach914 @ Aug 5 2018, 10:54 AM) *

Five cars were made by Dan McLaughlin, the A.I.R. Founder. I have communicated with the manufacturer of the later "Jules" 936 Jr's, a gentlemen from Poland, and he was never aware of these versions. One individual communicated with me on my 936jr thread here in the Garage and said he originally had two but sold one. The cars are the Canepa car shown here, mine, a Dan Mcglaughlin car sold on an estate auction site in Wisconsin in 2016, 914World member Stigg, and I think a car thats in Japan and on a YouTube video I posted. All appear to be distinctly different and are identifiable in the photos/videos I have seen.

Innnnneteresting. Were these cars in addition to a factory release? Wasn't there a factory brochure for both the 911 SC Cabriolet? and the 936 Jr?

Here to learn...
Maltese Falcon
QUOTE(burton73 @ May 10 2018, 01:09 PM) *

QUOTE(SKL1 @ May 10 2018, 10:40 AM) *

Porsche @Peterson will be very cool but the Reagan Library is also very cool. Go on Air Force One from the Reagan time and they give you a picture of you exiting the jet.

Nice memorial for the past Governor and President.

Bob B

Reagan Library + Air Force One was the venue for Rusnak Porsche event that we attended for the launch of 991.2 . The tour of the aircraft is superb, the docent described how the nuclear "Football" is carried on the plane. Also...Marine One helo is there on display and a bunch of vintage LAPD cruisers
Click to view attachment
Maltese Falcon
QUOTE(Cupomeat @ Aug 4 2018, 11:16 PM) *

QUOTE(mgphoto @ May 10 2018, 12:46 PM) *

Anything special?

I Finally got to the museum on Thursday and did the Vault tour. The two 914s in the vault were:
1. The LeMans class winning 914-6 GT from 1970

2. A 916 (prototype, well, really they all were)

All in all, the vault is fantastic and given how few cars were in the Porsche Effect, I am not surprised the 914 was not there...

BEAUTIFUL cars anyway!

9146gt of 1970 LeMans class win (Sonauto N° 40) was not at Petersen vault, unless someone stealthily removed it from storage.
A good tribute gt , or from another type of class win...but trust me, not ex- Claude Ballot-Leña's 1970 LeMans car driving.gif
Beach914
QUOTE(horizontally-opposed @ Aug 5 2018, 12:52 PM) *

QUOTE(Beach914 @ Aug 5 2018, 10:54 AM) *

Innnnneteresting. Were these cars in addition to a factory release? Wasn't there a factory brochure for both the 911 SC Cabriolet? and the 936 Jr?

Here to learn...

Of course.....I'm glad that there is interest!

Yes I have seen an image of the 936jr factory brochure but not the 911. I've seen both cars in person as Wayne Dempsey has them in his man cave at Pelican.

Perhaps the factory used McGlaughlins idea and commissioned the 936jrs ?

I'd just like to gather as much info as possible while my car is under my care.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.