Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Heater fan mounting?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Bullet
I am trying to figure out how the heater fan that mounts in the engine compartment mounts. I got my car completely taken apart and in box's, so i have never got to see the system hooked up. I looked through my haynes and could not find a good picture of it mounted. So i would like to know what all is needed to mount the fan and where exactly is the fan mounted?

Nevermind, I should have read threw the first page of posts before I asked.
Heater
Sorry

But I now have another question on the same topic, When does the fan get its power? does the car have to be running?
joeav8tor
the two wires come off of the harness on that side and plug into the heater...if you have the key in the accesory position and move the red lever next to your shifter to the rear the fan should go on...you will be able to hear it...if it does not then you probably have a blown relay for the blower...the relay is located under the cover in the left front corner of your engine bay...you can switch two of the relays to see if you can get your blower working...but dont mix them up because you can live without the heat for now but no the fuel injection...I would buy a spare relay to have on hand anyway...my haynes manual is in the garage...so I dont remember which one of the three relays are for the blower...look in there.
Joe
ThinAir
Besides a bad relay, another cause of the fan not coming on can be a poor ground on the heater lever. I'm at work so I don't have time to search for it, but someone posted a topic several months back about how the ground is done through the heater cables and what it took to find the problem and clean things up so that it will work.

On one of my teeners (before I knew about the relay & such) I just used a separate switch in the cabin and wired the fan directly from a feed on the fuse block. I would try and do it differently now so that I utilized the relay, but I still like the idea of a separate fan switch. There are times when having the fan on can be too much heat.

P.S. - Here is the topic that I was refering to. Curiosity got the better of me and I had to see if I could find it!
Bullet
I got lucky. I pulled the lever back and I heard the fan whirling away. I thought that the lever only pulled the heater boxes open.

But now that that works i have another question: The little black box that says "defrost" has a power wire going to it but has no ground. where does the light get its ground signal? I would assume from the lever but I dont see any thing to hook it up.
ThinAir
There is a very small grounding tab on the bottom side of the light. You have to remove the screws so you can turn it over to see it. It takes the same size itty-bitty connector as the power wire.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.