Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Guess my oil leak
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
marksteinhilber
Guesses on likely source of steady oil leak when running? I see fresh oil around pressure sender on top of engine near distributor on 1974 1.8 with Ljet. Oil comes down around oil cooler and oil filter. I realize it could also be bad cooler seals, a leaking oil cooler itself, or maybe a blown filter gasket. Any educated guesses? Car had sat for 10 years before resurrection. Engine oil has been changed twice, it nothing other than fuel system was rebuilt. Suggestions o n sequence of obvious checks. I have a new pressure sender, new cooler seals and dr 914s method to change in car, and new filter available.ideas?Click to view attachment
'73-914kid
If it's starting around the oil pressure sender, there's a pretty good chance that the sender itself is the culprit. The unit is crimped together, and that seam is usually where they will leak from.
marksteinhilber
QUOTE('73-914kid @ May 11 2018, 06:19 AM) *

If it's starting around the oil pressure sender, there's a pretty good chance that the sender itself is the culprit. The unit is crimped together, and that seam is usually where they will leak from.

Thanks for the insight on the pressure sender Ethan, exactly the kind of answer I was looking for. They are known to sometimes leak. I already bought a new one to swap in because I could see some fresh oil up there, but thought it was probably leaking around the copper washer. Replacing the sender now seems clearly the obvious place to start rather than attempting to change the oil cooler seals.

idea.gif If that's not it, I guess checking the seal on the oil filter is easy and may also be the culprit. But I keep thinking about oil cooler failure and if they fail very often. I also see that Pelican sells 3 different grades of coolers. I wonder if there is that much demand due to failing coolers and if the OEM part is worth the extra money. If I have to drop the engine to replace the oil cooler, then I should probably just rebuild the whole motor to 2258 cc, er while I'm in there right?

Again, thanks for the response, it helps me make a smart plan of attack. type.gif mark
Amphicar770
Can't tell from the pic. Mine leaks a bit from where the oil filter mount attaches to engine, the one gasket I did not replace when engine was out.

Busdepot also sells aftermarket and OEM oil cooler. I went OEM. I seem to recall people saying to stay away from the repro units.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.