Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Is the clutch known to just disappear?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
newto914s
On my way home from work. I went over a small bump a block from my house and costed home with no power. It makes no noise in neutral, but makes a grumbling sound if I release the clutch in any gear. And the wheels don’t turn even on jack stands.
It never slipped once(my clutch), and now it’s seams to have vanished.
Has this happened to anyone else?

Oh, 76 2 liter D-jet
ArtechnikA
i'd check first for a broken CV.
balljoint
agree.gif

There was a recent thread about this same thing. Open diff. means all power to wheel with no traction. Broken cv (common) means 0 traction. You are hearing your tranny spin in gear and not spin in neutral, your clutch may be fine.
Trekkor
I wonder if a broken trans input shaft would produce this symptom?

KT
newto914s
I recorded it. The car is in second with the clutch depressed. I release it twice. The sound is pritty clear.

So mabye CV joint. Balljoint do you remember the name of that thread.
Thanks guys for your help

http://www.geocities.com/newto914s/ClutchSound.mp3
maf914
I had a clutch failure once. While depressing the clutch I felt and heard a snap. When I released the clutch it barely engaged. It would slip but was able to transfer a little power so I was able to limp the short distance home. Turns out the diaphram spring in the pressure plate had cracked at about 50,000 miles. Lucky I was close to home. ohmy.gif
newto914s
I think it's the CV or the the Axle part under the Boot. smilie_pokal.gif
Driver side
newto914s
Passanger side icon8.gif
xsboost90
yausa! i saw some on ebay the other day cheap, check there ...or on here i guess!
john rogers
Hummm, passenger side doesn't look quite right. I'd say grab the flange with one hand and try to turn the wheel and I bet there will be strange sounds.
newto914s
I started it and had my friend release the clutch in second and sure enough. the tranny it turning the cv on the passanger side, but their muest be a break under the boot cause the rest of the axle is not turning.
Is that part under the Boot the rest of the CV. Or does that meen I need a new Axle Stub?
ArtechnikA
QUOTE (newto914s @ Jun 9 2005, 11:53 AM)
Is that part under the Boot the rest of the CV. Or does that meen I need a new Axle Stub?

classic broken CV symptoms. here's a picture:

the bad news is that there are no more new CV's, but there are rebuilt halfshafts available at reasonable prices; that's what i'd do, now, especially for a street car.

i'd also go to Pelican (or GPR, or Paragon, or some other full-service Porsche-knowledgeable vendor of your choice) and get one shipset (16) of new CV bolts and Schnorr washers (they'll probably just call them "CV Bolt Washers" - that's okay...) and four CV joint gaskets, because you can't count on any of that stuff coming with the halfshafts. i'd do both sides if at all possible.

also get a tube of Swepco Moly Grease or LubroMoly CV Joint grease. opinions vary but IMO those are the only two worth considering.

stub axle failures are virtually unknown, as are input shaft failures. CV's tend to be fragile, especially when they are not repacked with PROPER grease on their required schedule.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.