Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Want to learn to weld (someday soon)
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
djm914-6
Being a CSOBONE, I want to teach myself to weld. What is the cheapest, easiest, way to go about this? I figured I'd ask before I start looking into f'glassing the holes in my car.

I can't afford to hire anything done, so this is to be an all DIY project for now. Finance adviser shot down f'glass fenders and such for a LONG time. I need to stop the rust sooner than later.

TIA,
Jeroen
ask someone local to show you how
then practice, practice, practice
tat2dphreak
I just took a local contiuing ed. class... check local High schools and community colleges...

I had taken welding in high school, but learned more about welding HEAVY, thick stuff... so I used the class to practice thin, MIG welding... it cost me about $200 for the class, a decent helmet from Harbor Freight and some good gloves...

a good welder will cost you about $500-600 with the regulator and tank, you may save 100-200 if you find one used... check pawn shops and the papers... OR find a friend and borrow his shit... that will likely cost you $20 for a new roll of wire, $40 to fill his tank, and a case of beer! beerchug.gif
xsboost90
www.cyberweld.com

buy a welder and watch the video.
djm914-6
QUOTE (tat2dphreak @ Jun 9 2005, 10:24 AM)
I just took a local contiuing ed. class... check local High schools and community colleges...

I had taken welding in high school, but learned more about welding HEAVY, thick stuff... so I used the class to practice thin, MIG welding... it cost me about $200 for the class, a decent helmet from Harbor Freight and some good gloves...

a good welder will cost you about $500-600 with the regulator and tank, you may save 100-200 if you find one used... check pawn shops and the papers... OR find a friend and borrow his shit... that will likely cost you $20 for a new roll of wire, $40 to fill his tank, and a case of beer! beerchug.gif

there go this idea! Back to 'glass and POR15 as a temporary hide.

Thanks.
tat2dphreak
don't glass over RUST... FG is not the answer... surely someone has a welder you can borrow... it's not difficult... easier than glass IMHO and probably as cheap! Hell POR-15 is more expensive than welding...
Cap'n Krusty
Two words: Community College

Quality instruction, evening hours (or weekends), interesting folks in every class, low cost. Lotsa hands on. As I recall, there was a materials fee, but they had all the equipment except the gloves, which are dirt cheap at both HF and welding supply stores. The Cap'n
jet1
Don't buy the cheapest welder you can find. I did. I wish I spent a little more money and bought a better one. As far as learning goes, MIG welding is mostly practice. I am still not very good, but the more I weld the better I get at it.

This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.