Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Brake Pad Recommendations
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
jdamiano
Doing my brake pads and wondering if anyone has any opinions on pads? I’m thinking of EBC Yellow or Hawks. Car is only driven on the road but I am willing to spend more if it really makes an improvement.
dr914@autoatlanta.com
ate textar. not worth buying hawks for street driving, just make sure that your braking system is up to par (like good flex lines smooth unglazed rotors, a good bleeding etc

QUOTE(jdamiano @ May 12 2018, 11:02 AM) *

Doing my brake pads and wondering if anyone has any opinions on pads? I’m thinking of EBC Yellow or Hawks. Car is only driven on the road but I am willing to spend more if it really makes an improvement.

aggiezig
I know that PMB recommends Porterfield R4-S pads and they are the de-facto brake people. I ended up ordering these for my car. About $120 for all four corners.
GeorgeRud
For street driving, I’d agree that the stock Ate pads would be great. I’ve been still using the Ferodo M pads that I bought years ago when a shop was clearing them out. Just don’t breath the asbestos!
Eric_Shea
I definitely like the Porterfield R4-S compounds. Carbon/Kevlar compound that works in the street temperature ranges. Low dust and noise.
HansJan
QUOTE(Eric_Shea @ May 13 2018, 04:33 PM) *

I definitely like the Porterfield R4-S compounds. Carbon/Kevlar compound that works in the street temperature ranges. Low dust and noise.

The 1970 that I’m enjoying needs new front pads. But could you confirm that I have the original brakes, from this picture? If so we can have a set send my way.

An additional question I have: the disks have 8 bolt holes (I’m using 5 of them). Is this a custom machined part, or can I just purchase 5 bolt disks in the future?

Thanks for helping.
HansJan
Teat brake
Highland
Shopping for brake pads and noticed the R4-S cost almost 3X's the Textar.

This is just a street car. Are the R4-S' worth the price difference?

I hate brake dust. Is there a big difference between the two?
GregAmy
For street use, I have never ever had a problem with brake fade on my /4 914 using stock calipers. Ever. Pick your favorites.

If you're planning track days or all-out racing, that changes. Post the details.
Highland
QUOTE(GregAmy @ Jan 26 2023, 02:37 PM) *

For street use, I have never ever had a problem with brake fade on my /4 914 using stock calipers. Ever. Pick your favorites.

If you're planning track days or all-out racing, that changes. Post the details.

This is purely for street use on stock calipers and rotors. Just wondering if the R4-S' are worth almost 3X's the price of Ate/Textar. Is the dust much less on the Porterfield?
GregAmy
No personal street experience with either.

I run metallic parts-store-pads on my street car, and Hawk Blues (or Pagid Orange, whatever I have in the box for spares) on my historics race car.

EDIT: I just rechecked my notes and I'm actually running the BMW320i calipers on both cars now. FMSI D109, HB180E.640 Hawk Blues for the race car and metallic pads for the street car.
Charles Freeborn
I run R4s pads during track season in my 911. That way I don't have to change pads back and forth every track day. If I'm not going to do track days for a while (in winter, etc) I run Textar. They're fine for everyday driving. On a racetrack the Textar's begins to fade after 15 or so minutes of hard use. In the afternoon in summer when temps are up that shrinks to 10 mins. The R4s have never faded on me.
For pure street driving stick with Textar. They're fine and even work better when cold.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.