Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Source for fuel pump o-rings
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
andreic
My fuel pump (3 port, original fuel pump on the D-Jet on a 1972 914 1.7L) leaks fuel. I have read that it is relatively easy to replace the 3 o-rings (as far as I understand it, there is one body o-ring, and two others underneath the cap).

Does anyone know of a source for them, or the sizes of them so I can try to go to a specialty store and look them up?

Thanks.
914Sixer
My rebuilder uses viton seals. Don't know the sizes though.
andreic
Thanks, Mark. Who is your rebuilder? Maybe I can ask him if he has these seals for sale? Or if not, where he gets them from?

mb911
I thought mcmark has them. Otherwise take it apart measure and buy online ..
brant
I tackled this job
found out McMark had already done it

his advice, and my experience were similar
very difficult job without the bosche crimping tool

I ended up using a dremel after prying for an hour.
the factory crimps are difficult to open and difficult to re-close

I rebuilt 2 pumps.
one failed soon after
they look butchered

after the fact, it was my opinion that these should be done with a factory crimping tool and were not a good use of my time

If you go forward, I'd recommend you spend some time trying to take off the exterior case before worrying about the replacement parts. If you are successful in opening the case, the O'ring will be easy to measure at that point.

brant
rudedude
I bought them from mcmaster years ago when I did the same. I should have plenty left as they came like in quantities of 25 I believe. I haven't had any releaking issues but mine are lower pressure carb and mechanical fi pumps. When you get yours apart measure and I'll send you what you need.
Jule
Mikey914
I took one apart successfully, the issue I had was not the o rings but the seal between the electrical section and the actual pump was shot. Gas + electrical = ?? Didn't try to install to say the least.
andreic
Hmm, so it sounds more complicated than I thought. I’ll take mine out and see how hard it is to take apart (mine seemed to be held together with screws, not crimped).

Does McMark still rebuild these? If it is hard to take apart I’d prefer to have a professiknal rebuild it.
TheCabinetmaker
Unless you need a completely stock car, use a late two port pump. New from napa. Around a hundred bucks pn N69133
andreic
I had read online about how amazing the original fuel pumps were, and that they were amazingly reliable. I have had a bad experience with a Bosch two-port pump (failed withing 6 months), that's why I had hoped to rebuild the original 3-port one.

I guess I'll take mine out, and see if it is easy to take apart; if yes, I'll ask McMark or rudedude for o-rings. If not, I'll go with the 2-port pump from Napa.
914Sixer
I have a rebuilt pump if you are interested. I has been painted black. Can do $199 shipped plus your old pump.
Mark Henry
Walbro makes an excellent FI pump, GSL 392, 09914-1 made in USA
It's a straight through external pump, 255 liters per hour.

It's very popular with the performance crowd, so you have to be careful of evilbay fakes.
If the price is too good to be true or uses words like "genuine fuel pump", "replaces walbro", "generic" it's a chinese fake.

Expect minimum $110 for real Walbro.

This site the AN fitting kit is $110 and the standard barb kit is $100, the 392 is the second line of listed pumps.
https://www.highflowfuel.com/c-1207221-fuel...fuel-pumps.html
euro911
Carter pumps are pretty reliable as well, and about the same price (+/- $100.)
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.