Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: How rare is a black 1972 914/4?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > Originality and History
Debug
I have been busy removing paint from my 72 1.7. When I bought it it was metallic blue, but the front and rear trunks, engine bay and cab floor were black. The car has been repainted in the past and I thought the black paint was a bit unusual. As I've removed the different layers of paint I've found that the black is on top of the original primer and the steel is virgin without any sanding marks etc. I don't have the Karmann plate so I'm going to order a birth certificate.

I was wondering if anyone knew how many were painted black for that year.
Pat Garvey
In '72 black and gold metallic were optional colors ( I recall the cost at $300). The extra cost paint was nearly 8% of the total cost of an app grp car, so few were ordered. Everyone loved the black and hated the gold metallic (except me) so you have rare color. Keep it.
orthobiz
I believe it was a 600 upcharge on my (former) 1976. Requires better painting because of the reflective nature of black.

Paul
Tom_T
QUOTE(Pat Garvey @ May 12 2018, 07:04 PM) *

In '72 black and gold metallic were optional colors ( I recall the cost at $300). The extra cost paint was nearly 8% of the total cost of an app grp car, so few were ordered. Everyone loved the black and hated the gold metallic (except me) so you have rare color. Keep it.

agree.gif
... And I liked the Gold too Pat! It was oversprayed on my 73 by the P+A dealer before I bought it from the OO in late `75, but not sure if they requested it or a prior prospective buyer or the dealer did it to help move the car - as it also had Sahara Beige over the L80E Light Ivory factory color & under the gold - all done before sold new! blink.gif

Debug - check that your Karmann plate in the LF driver door jamb has the correct black code stamped on it - in case it was another color other than what you're seeing (as per my situation noted above).

In addition to the colors chart at the 914 Info section on here - p914.com has good MY by MY examples of most all colors on the cars 70-76 MY, but they seem to be having web issues & aren't coming in right now on .com nor .net - but .org will get you the home page (but not the paint pages). So check back with them later.

If it was black, then you're probably better off going back to it, since the original color repaints are always valued better than color changes.

Being a special order color at additional cost, there were a few sent to dealers in that color - but not as many as the other "base" paint colors (same thing for the metallics).

However, there are no records AFAIK that will tell you how many were black in 72 or any MY, otherwise Pat would've said so.

Cheers! beerchug.gif
Tom
///////
Debug
Thanks for the info Tom,

That would help explain why the colour was changed. Unfortunately the Karmann plate is missing. I'm going to order a certificate of authenticity and that may clear it up. I will definitely change the colour if it proves to be the original one.

Thank you to everyone that replied, the history is very interesting. I will update when I get the Cert.
DblDog
Here is the window sticker from my non-appearance 72...still have it...about 4% of sticker price.
Click to view attachment
ndfrigi
Could be late 72 model since it has 2 adjustable seats and for sure a sideshift tranny!

Debug
QUOTE(Debug @ May 13 2018, 10:40 PM) *

Thanks for the info Tom,

That would help explain why the colour was changed. Unfortunately the Karmann plate is missing. I'm going to order a certificate of authenticity and that may clear it up. I will definitely change the colour if it proves to be the original one.

Thank you to everyone that replied, the history is very interesting. I will update when I get the Cert.

Finally got the COA. She was black when new. I'm happy with that and will take her back to the original colour. It came with black window and sail trim and black bumpers as well so will have a real stealth look.
Ferg
QUOTE(Debug @ Oct 18 2018, 09:29 PM) *

QUOTE(Debug @ May 13 2018, 10:40 PM) *

Thanks for the info Tom,

Finally got the COA. She was black when new. I'm happy with that and will take her back to the original colour. It came with black window and sail trim and black bumpers as well so will have a real stealth look.

Very cool, will be cool to see it when done. Black with painted black bumpers instead of chrome will be unusual in a very cool way. I'm assuming they will be gloss black bumpers not satin like the standard non appearance cars that came later making it even more unique.
JeffBowlsby
QUOTE(DblDog @ Jun 6 2018, 07:52 AM) *

Here is the window sticker from my non-appearance 72...still have it...about 4% of sticker price.
Click to view attachment

Model#473024 is a world market (non-USA), standard equipment car. Would love to see photos if its still original.

http://bowlsby.net/914/Classic/ModelNumbers.htm
DblDog
Model#473024 is a world market (non-USA), standard equipment car. Would love to see photos if its still original.

Pat,
Here is a pic of the car taken in 2014...it’s had one repaint...and could use another.
Do you have any more information about the designation of ‘world market (non-USA)? Hard to believe I’ve had it for 46+ years!

Click to view attachment
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.