Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Heads up on Buying paint by paint code
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
thomasotten
Just a heads up for you folks buying paint by the paint code. I went in to my Dupont auto paint supplier wanting to get a pint of Metallic Blue (L98P I think it is). Anyway, I had the paint code and the manufacturers code, so I wasn't expecting any problems. It turns out, that color wasn't in their system and they did not have the formula. I thought that was odd, especially since 911s also came in that color. He said it was made in a system that they can no longer get. He told me they could match it for me, but that was about the best one could get. The codes didn't even show in their system.

I didn't have a panel to match, being that I am color changing (yes, flame on, but I don't like that green). He did go as far as even calling Dupont and they didn't have it in their system either, by way of formula. He did recommend a color that was close (whatever that means) from this universal color chip book that they had.

So, I don't know if others have run in to the same problems. I always thought that if you have the color code, they can make the paint. I want to stick with Porsche colors if I can, but it seems difficult.

I was able to get Minerva Blue, Anacona Blue, but not Metallic Blue.
Rusty
L98P is a nice color... but it doesn't have the pop of many modern blues.

Also, it has a fair amount of green in it.

-R
Mike D.
I found my paint code (Pheonix Red) in the VW section of a PPG book, Maybe try that??

-Mike D.
meares
whitesnake... aktion035.gif
Lou W
Good info, I'll be careful when I order my "new" color, I'm doing a color change too, but I want a Porsche color for sure. wink.gif
thomasotten
QUOTE (Lawrence @ Jun 9 2005, 09:56 AM)
L98P is a nice color... but it doesn't have the pop of many modern blues.

Also, it has a fair amount of green in it.

-R

Well, I am looking for a blue that does have some green in it, like my car has now. Kind of understated. I am not looking for something that is too rich and flashy.

Here is how my car is painted right now...

user posted image
Reiche
You may have better luck finding your code in Glasurit or Sikkens paint. They cover European models MUCH more thoroughly.

edit:
Found this on sikkens' site: Go to Color>>Mixit Online. Enter in Color Code field: VWL98P. Gives you the recipe right there.

Glasurit's site also has a code finder. Go to COLOR>>Search for a formula. Enter VW in "Manufacturer's code" field, and "L98P" in "Colour Code" field. It returns two recipe choices, the "55" or "90" technology. The 55 series is solvent-based, the 90 series is water-based.

Good luck!
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.