Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Porsche Stack
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
fishgeckos
I finally cleaned my garage and was able to photograph both of my babies together on the lift. Just wanted to share. Have a great week. Click to view attachment
Mike Fitton
Nice! What brand lift is that?
mlindner
Two of my favorite cars, very cool, congrats. Mark
ValcoOscar
Very nice...

As a precaution. I always use wheel chocks on cars on my lift.

I had a jeep roll off and cross the street. I could have killed or injured someone.

I had it in gear but not sure I had emergency brake on.

Lucky9146
That looks great! wub.gif first.gif
Wish I'd have had the ceiling height to be able to do that but was unfortunately a few inches short sad.gif

One thing you may want to consider, if you haven't already, is a piece of plastic sheeting over the car below. I'm not going to say that beautiful 914 is going to drip something but stranger things have happened. Just about any fluid can damage paint.
Thanks for sharing the picture.
driving.gif white914.jpg

Andyrew
Whats your ceiling height and whats the length of your garage? How close does that roll up door get to your trunk?

Im trying to figure out a lift setup for my garage...
fishgeckos
QUOTE(Mike Fitton @ May 14 2018, 08:47 AM) *

It's a Challenger Lift. I bought it from Costco for $4K, including installation, which is a pretty good deal, I think. It works great. You can't see them in the photo, but the lift came with drip pans (to stop fluids from dripping on the car below) and chocks on the front and back (so that the car can't roll off the lift). It did not come with a rolling tire jack, but you can buy one separately.

My ceiling is 10' high. If I had 2 tall cars, the lift wouldn't work. Also, as a tip, be sure that your ceiling is tall enough even when the garage door is open to accommodate your cars.
fishgeckos
QUOTE(Andyrew @ May 14 2018, 09:17 AM) *

Whats your ceiling height and whats the length of your garage? How close does that roll up door get to your trunk?

My garage is 20' long. You need a minimum of 18' for it to fit.

On the height question, the garage door, when rolled up, is about a foot higher than the back trunk. I had the lift mounted closer to the back wall to make it work. I can even lower the lift another foot and still accommodate the 928, but I tend to bang my head on the lift when getting out of the 928 when I do that.
Unobtanium-inc
Lifts are life changing, looks good!
Tom_T
QUOTE(fishgeckos @ May 14 2018, 07:41 AM) *

I finally cleaned my garage and was able to photograph both of my babies together on the lift. Just wanted to share. Have a great week. Click to view attachment

Is it true that a 928 is a double nine-14!? biggrin.gif

Great Ham stack! beerchug.gif
Tom
///////
Tom_T
QUOTE(Unobtanium-inc @ May 14 2018, 09:03 AM) *

I spy a GT350H of 1960's Hertz rentals fame!

Another nice double Ham stack!

I actually would love to get a double wide 2-car 4-post lift for my tiny 17'-6" w. by 18' d. outside dimensions 1921 garage, but unfortunately I'd have to raise the roof 3-5' more first, which I don't think that either the city nor my wife would allow! sad.gif

PS - So instead I'm "stacking" another way, with loads of parts boxes on top of the 2 914s, so it doesn't look like this anymore! biggrin.gif

Click to view attachment

beerchug.gif
Tom
///////
Unobtanium-inc
QUOTE(Tom_T @ May 14 2018, 12:50 PM) *

I actually would love to get a double wide 2-car 4-post lift for my tiny 17'-6" w. by 18' d. outside dimensions 1921 garage, but unfortunately I'd have to raise the roof 3-5' more first, which I don't think that either the city nor my wife would allow! sad.gif

PS - So instead I'm "stacking" another way, with loads of parts boxes on top of the 2 914s, so it doesn't look like this anymore! biggrin.gif

Click to view attachment

beerchug.gif
Tom
///////

Yeah, I had to vault the ceiling, it wasn't super easy, but worth it.
ThreeV8s
QUOTE(fishgeckos @ May 14 2018, 11:40 AM) *

On the height question, the garage door, when rolled up, is about a foot higher than the back trunk. I had the lift mounted closer to the back wall to make it work. I can even lower the lift another foot and still accommodate the 928, but I tend to bang my head on the lift when getting out of the 928 when I do that.

Great tandem and nice setup!

The challenger (from costco) is one of the 4-post lifts I am considering.

From your pic, it appears that it is not anchored. Is there any movement when elevating or lowering it?

Also, are you using the standard ramps or do you need the longer ramps to get your 914 on it?
EdwardBlume
We need to have rolling build parties. driving.gif
Mike Fitton
QUOTE(fishgeckos @ May 14 2018, 07:34 AM) *

It's a Challenger Lift. I bought it from Costco for $4K, including installation, which is a pretty good deal, I think. It works great. You can't see them in the photo, but the lift came with drip pans (to stop fluids from dripping on the car below) and chocks on the front and back (so that the car can't roll off the lift). It did not come with a rolling tire jack, but you can buy one separately.

My ceiling is 10' high. If I had 2 tall cars, the lift wouldn't work. Also, as a tip, be sure that your ceiling is tall enough even when the garage door is open to accommodate your cars.

Did you go with 110v? Bolted to the floor or free standing? Space width needed to accommodate? Thanks!
fishgeckos
QUOTE(ThreeV8s @ May 15 2018, 06:59 AM) *

From your pic, it appears that it is not anchored. Is there any movement when elevating or lowering it?

Also, are you using the standard ramps or do you need the longer ramps to get your 914 on it?

You are correct - I did not bolt down my lift. It has no movement at all. I wanted the ability to take it with me when I move, and bolting it down makes that more difficult.

I use the standard size ramps and they work fine for my 914 (I was concerned about this as well).

fishgeckos
QUOTE(Mike Fitton @ May 15 2018, 08:01 AM) *

QUOTE(fishgeckos @ May 14 2018, 07:34 AM) *

Did you go with 110v? Bolted to the floor or free standing? Space width needed to accommodate? Thanks!

Yes - I went with 110v - works fine. You need a minimum width of 10 feet.
gandalf_025
My garage is a mess still, But stacking makes it so most of the cars can be inside.

I still park my truck outside though.

110 volt and not attached to the floor which is only 3 1/2" thick and no signs of movement for many years.
Lift has a set of wheels that can be added to move it around if needed.

Click to view attachment
Unobtanium-inc
My floor actually slopes for a center drain so my posts dance a little bit, but nothing is bolted down. 110V works fine, isn't fast, but works fine. A shop would need something faster.
ThreeV8s
QUOTE(fishgeckos @ May 15 2018, 10:49 AM) *

QUOTE(ThreeV8s @ May 15 2018, 06:59 AM) *

You are correct - I did not bolt down my lift. It has no movement at all. I wanted the ability to take it with me when I move, and bolting it down makes that more difficult.

I use the standard size ramps and they work fine for my 914 (I was concerned about this as well).

Thank you for confirming. It sounds like free-standing is the way to go with that challenger.

ThreeV8s
QUOTE(Unobtanium-inc @ May 14 2018, 07:00 PM) *

Click to view attachment

beerchug.gif
Tom
///////

I always said if I were to have a house built, i’d have a drain in the garage. Even though my garage has its own roof and is wide open, i’m not going to be able to stack cleanly due to the supports that are going across. One car will be under the lift to the windshield or so. My 914 sits pretty low, but still just a few inches short of the clearance I need. I am not sure what would be involved to vault mine, but imagine it would be pretty invasive. What did you have to do?
bbrock
QUOTE(ThreeV8s @ May 15 2018, 07:31 PM) *

I always said if I were to have a house built, i’d have a drain in the garage.

I always said too and then did have a house built and had a center drain installed in the garage. I hate it. The floor sloping to the center makes it a bitch to roll shop tools around and the radon seal on the drain requires frequent maintenance. It's been more trouble than its worth. If I did it again, I'd install trench drains across the garage doors so the floor would slope along a flat plane.
JmuRiz
QUOTE(Unobtanium-inc @ May 14 2018, 08:03 AM) *

agree.gif they make putting a 914 project on hold even easier...because you can put another project underneath it biggrin.gif
Mine's been up and out of the way for about 10 years....no jack-stands for this guy, hahah.

Once I get the furniture refinished projects out of the way, I'll have to take a picture of my p-car stack garage.
Unobtanium-inc
QUOTE(ThreeV8s @ May 15 2018, 05:31 PM) *

QUOTE(Unobtanium-inc @ May 14 2018, 07:00 PM) *

Click to view attachment

beerchug.gif
Tom
///////

I always said if I were to have a house built, i’d have a drain in the garage. Even though my garage has its own roof and is wide open, i’m not going to be able to stack cleanly due to the supports that are going across. One car will be under the lift to the windshield or so. My 914 sits pretty low, but still just a few inches short of the clearance I need. I am not sure what would be involved to vault mine, but imagine it would be pretty invasive. What did you have to do?

Apparently there is two kinds of garage construction techniques that are normally used. Truss built and stick built. If you have truss' you are out of luck, there is no modifying them. But if you're lucky like I was and your garage was stick built we were able to just moved the supports up, we even re-used the same wood, since it could be shorter because it was going higher. Consult with someone who knows before you start breaking out the sawz-all, I had a guy do mine, the same guy who built my deck, and works on all my rental houses. Let me know if you need more pics.
ThreeV8s
QUOTE(Unobtanium-inc @ May 16 2018, 10:56 AM) *

Apparently there is two kinds of garage construction techniques that are normally used. Truss built and stick built. If you have truss' you are out of luck, there is no modifying them. But if you're lucky like I was and your garage was stick built we were able to just moved the supports up, we even re-used the same wood, since it could be shorter because it was going higher. Consult with someone who knows before you start breaking out the sawz-all, I had a guy do mine, the same guy who built my deck, and works on all my rental houses. Let me know if you need more pics.

Mine is stick built but the 2x6 supports disappear into a wall going to the back of the house, so I'm not sure if there is a noninvasive way to move the supports up. I have a builder coming to look at it next week. I appreciate the offer for more pics and will take you up on it if the garage is going to be modified. Otherwise, I am going to live with it the way it is and just have the front portion of the bottom car under the lift.
mepstein
Both my garages are too low for a 2 or 4 post lift. I’ve been looking at options to add on or build a 3’rd building.
ThreeV8s
QUOTE(mepstein @ May 16 2018, 05:17 PM) *

Both my garages are too low for a 2 or 4 post lift. I’ve been looking at options to add on or build a 3’rd building.

Mark, if you are considering a separate garage, check shedsunlimited.net. That’s where I got my shed and they make nice garages that are very reasonable. They just moved from Gap to Morgantown, PA, so probably not out of delivery range for you. If I could convince my wife to agree, I would have one at the end of my driveway.
mepstein
QUOTE(ThreeV8s @ May 16 2018, 05:28 PM) *

QUOTE(mepstein @ May 16 2018, 05:17 PM) *

Mark, if you are considering a separate garage, check shedsunlimited.net. That’s where I got my shed and they make nice garages that are very reasonable. They just moved from Gap to Morgantown, PA, so probably not out of delivery range for you. If I could convince my wife to agree, I would have one at the end of my driveway.

There are a lot of Amish builders in our area. Gap is even closer to me. I'm at the border of PA, DE & MD.

I already have one shed/garage/workshop so I'd have to make another building compliment what I have. Both the house and workshop are a 12x12 pitch roof.
I have a raised deck off the back of my house so I'm also considering removing the deck, building car storage and then rebuilding the deck on top.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.