Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: How often???
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
meares
how often do i need to adj. the valves? i just put a 2L in and adj. the valves,and drove it 60 miles.....should i re-adjust now and then start a 3K mile interval? ALSO......does the engine have to be cold (sitting overnight) to get the best reading?
TROJANMAN
i just had an engine rebuilt, and the mechanic told me to come in after a 500 mile break in period, for a valve adjustment. how often after that, i am not sure.

drive on driving.gif
type47
if it's a new rebuild, i'd do it after 300-500 mi, then follow the factory schedule which is 6000 i think and adjusted with engine cold, that is, left overnight
tat2dphreak
QUOTE (type47 @ Jun 9 2005, 02:24 PM)
if it's a new rebuild, i'd do it after 300-500 mi, then follow the factory schedule which is 6000 i think and adjusted with engine cold, that is, left overnight

agree.gif

check at every oil change(3k) though...
and if you notice one getting tight between adjstments, then adjust more often, and try and figure out why it's tightening....
Joe Ricard
Usually about the time the scares heal up. But I drive it pretty hard and run them tight. .004 and .006 Every other Ax event or if I start to hear them after warmed up.
meares
what do you hear? perhaps an exh. manifold leak or, (enter NO SHIT here,)valves tapping? how do you know if they are running tight or loose?
Bleyseng
If you run them at .004 Int and .006 ex then with the engine hot you won't hear anything as its pretty quiet.

Most 914's running stock adjust make noise.....
meares
thanks, i was a little concerned about the noise!
Cap'n Krusty
QUOTE (Bleyseng @ Jun 11 2005, 08:14 AM)
If you run them at .004 Int and .006 ex then with the engine hot you won't hear anything as its pretty quiet.

Most 914's running stock adjust make noise.....

And most 914s running .004/.006" get burned valves ............ noise is good. You want a quiet valve train, get a Chevy .............. I adjust them after they've run for 30 minutes on the lift, then at 300 miles, then 1500, 3000, 6000, 9000 and so on .......... Worked good for 32 years, so I think I'll stick with it ........ 74s and up do 5K intervals, at least by the book, but I don't like to let 'em go that long.
Bleyseng
I ain't running stock........I set em to .004-.005 but I have SS valves and 911 adjusters and adjust them every 1000-2000k cuz I AX/track the car.
Note I said stock ones are noisy. wink.gif
IF you have STOCK valves, set em to factory settings.
nebreitling
QUOTE (Cap'n Krusty @ Jun 11 2005, 09:06 AM)

And most 914s running .004/.006" get burned valves

i heard a rumor (please feel free to validate or kill it here) that the factory actually originally specified 004/006, but that they became concerned about differences in 'feel', and thus erred on the side of caution.

this explanation sounded a little elaborate to me at the time, but it still seems to me that a difference of 002 could come down to 'feel'. certainly with SS valves, i would think that you could adjust them until they just *start* to go quiet when the engine is hot.

i defer to those w/ more experience, but i too am currently setting them to 004/005 and check them after every other event.
Aaron Cox
hijacked.gif
friend of mine has a mystery big cam in his motor. he is told that different cams require different valve lash settings. his cam is definitely a carb cam (big lift, big duration) - how would he know what to set his valves at? he says he has stock Sodium exh valves and stock intakes.
Cap'n Krusty
QUOTE (Aaron Cox @ Jun 11 2005, 10:04 AM)
hijacked.gif
friend of mine has a mystery big cam in his motor. he is told that different cams require different valve lash settings. his cam is definitely a carb cam (big lift, big duration) - how would he know what to set his valves at? he says he has stock Sodium exh valves and stock intakes.

He would ask the cam manufacturer ................. The Cap'n
Greg Bell
But the cam is a mystery? I have a mystery cam in my car and I wonder the same thing.
airsix
Correct lash is a function of how much things tighten up at operating temp from thermal expansion. I doubt a cam change has much effect on this but possible if the cam is made from an alloy with far different properties from stock (not extremely likely). I'm with the Cap'n. I don't think running tight valves is a good idea. Too easy to overheat the valves. Less safety margin. For what? One hp? Two hp? Not worth it IMHO. I probably shouldn't be one to talk. I'm boosting the crap out of my poor little typeIV. In my defense, I am running plenty of lash though. wink.gif

-Ben M.
redshift
I did mine all around like the clubsters were saying... .005, was great for tight sounding 1000 miles, then I jumped back to reality.

As of this moment, my valves are loose, and enough so to not make good power.

smile.gif

M
IanStott
Any suggestions on where to get the right cam if you are running carbs? Is the valve adjustment different when you change the cam?

Ian Stott
Moncton
Canada

PS. To Greg Bell, is your car black? I like the pic in your info section.

Ian
redshift
The maker has specs for your valve adjust.

On the Webcam selection page (*haven't been there in a long time) there used to be specs written right there on the page, with the cam specs.

M
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.