Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Water pump GPM ratings question
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Dr. Roger
Just curious to see if anyone has experienced any benefits with going with the greater GPM flow rate 20GPM vs. 35 GPM water pumps.

Example is here http://store.summitracing.com/default.asp?...k=KeywordSearch

Any and all responses will be tossed in the ol' brain bucket for assimilation.

Muchas' gracias' Amigos. wink.gif
SLITS
More GPM is not necessarily good. If you move the water to fast thru a heat exchanger, it does not pick up or reject heat properly. There is an optimum rate of flow for maximum effeciency.

The thermostat on a vehicle not only controls temperature, it also acts as a restriction to flow to slow the water down thru the engine and radiator.

When an engine is tuned to race and run at higher rpms, the pulleys are modified so as to not increase gpm significantly and to avoid cavitation of the pump by spinning it to fast.
dakotaewing
Since your application is for a V8, i would get an idea from both RH and Guy what GPM their applications run - Also consider any other changes that might affect the GPM as well - and work along the guidlines of the methods that have withstood others R&D....

Thom
Dr. Roger
Yep you both are right.

After SLITS comment I googled and found this great article.

http://www.stewartcomponents.com/tech_tips...Tech_Tips_6.htm

I'll give Renegade a buzz too.

All cloudy thoughts are now very clear.

Thanks guys! biggrin.gif
Dr. Roger
Excellent info re: radiator cooling.... FAQ from http://www.stewartcomponents.com

Q1. Will the Hi-Flow water pump reduce my cooling temperature?
A1. Yes. The water pump is the heart of the cooling system and flow should always be maximized to reduce temperatures.

Q2. Which pump is best for my application (cast iron or aluminum)?
A2. Both are Hi-Flow and will work well although the aluminum version is available in a hand polished finish.

Q3. Do I need to run a thermostat and what is the best kind?
A3. Most street driven vehicles should use a thermostat and we recommend the Stewart/Robert Shaw hi-performance one that we modify for better cooling.

Q4. What about my pulley set-up (what ratio do I need)?
A4. For STREET applications, the water pump speed must at least match the crankshaft RPM, to a maximum of 10% faster than the crankshaft speed.

Q5. My engine runs cool enough out on the highway but heats up at slow driving or at idle. What is most likely the problem?
A5. Most stock or OEM pumps are built to meet standard performance requirements and at low RPMs the flow is reduced, the Stewart Hi-Flow water pump is designed to produce increased flow at idle as well as higher RPMs.

Q6. What is the best coolant to use?
A6. If freezing is not a concern we recommend water with a corrosion inhibitor. If freezing is a concern, use the proper amount of antifreeze required for your climate.

Q7. Which radiator is recommended (aluminum or copper)?
A7. We strongly recommend aluminum radiators. They dissipate heat more efficiently than copper brass.

Q8. What size radiator should I use for my application?
A8. We recommend using the largest (in surface area) that will fit into your vehicle.

Q9. What would be the correct pressure cap rating to use?
A9. We recommend using a radiator cap with the highest pressure rating that the radiator is designed to accept.

Q10. Which cooling fan do you recommend (electric or mechanical)?
A10. Electric fans now outperform mechanical fans in nearly every application.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.