Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Nails / Tacks around Tail Light Seals
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
aggiezig
I noticed on my car there are nail heads in the area where the tail light seal mates up with the body. Are these factory / should they be there?

IPB Image
Tom_T
I don't think so.

I seems that would prevent the taillight housing seals from sealing against the body.

beerchug.gif
Tom
///////
dr914@autoatlanta.com
no no no no!

QUOTE(aggiezig @ May 14 2018, 12:26 PM) *

I noticed on my car there are nail heads in the area where the tail light seal mates up with the body. Are these factory / should they be there?

IPB Image

aggiezig
Great, thanks for the feedback. Off they go!
Jeff Hail
My car has 4 of them, two on the bottom of each tail lite opening. One in the same place as yours and another at the corner. They are not rivets, clearly welded and its not a plug weld.

I have seen these before on quite a few cars, sometimes 2 other times 4 of them. Only guess is German engineering idea of a stand off to keep the lens off the panel ledge.

First time I saw these I thought rear body panel replacement and bodytech used rivets to set the panel (cheap Clecos) . Nope clearly some kind of welded nail head. Too uniform to be a plug weld. I would think a little stick on pad would be simpler.

aggiezig
Oops. Too late for me, I took them off and filled them a few hours ago.

Oh well, good to know that it wasn’t just my car. I agree, I think some double stick or foam would be easier.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.