Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: 5 lugs and brakes
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
goose2
I've been looking high and low for the bits I need to upgrade front brakes and go to 5 lugs on the front. I'm not having much luck finding anything at a reasonable price. Getting quotes of $750 and up for a 911 front end with 3.5 bolt centers and vented rotors. Parts Heaven just quoted me $700 for just the struts, hubs, calipers and rotors! I've heard a lot of talk from members about 3-400 dollar 911 front ends but I'm obviously not looking in the right places. Can anyone help me out? I'd be eternally grateful pray.gif
Mueller
QUOTE (goose2 @ Jun 9 2005, 12:12 PM)
I've been looking high and low for the bits I need to upgrade front brakes and go to 5 lugs on the front. I'm not having much luck finding anything at a reasonable price. Getting quotes of $750 and up for a 911 front end with 3.5 bolt centers and vented rotors. Parts Heaven just quoted me $700 for just the struts, hubs, calipers and rotors! I've heard a lot of talk from members about 3-400 dollar 911 front ends but I'm obviously not looking in the right places. Can anyone help me out? I'd be eternally grateful pray.gif

the $300 to $400 prices are more than likely the pre-3.5" spacing setup (what I paid for mine)....if anyone has found the 3.5" spacing setup at the lower pricing, it's just been good luck or buddy deals......more people want the 3.5" spacing...not only us 914 guys, but the early 911 guys as well.....better keep on looking or saving your money.....

You can also try to find all the P-Car related classifieds you can find and do a WTB ad listing your wants and what you are willing to pay....
TravisNeff
www.20thstreetauto.com

They quoted me $310 for SC struts, rotors, hubs and calipers (pair) a few months back.
anthony
I paid $550 for a Carrera front end and that was supposedly a good deal. Don't forget that after you do the rear hubs, buy new rotors, a-arm bushings, brake hoses, brake pads, bearings, alignment, etc. you are going to be up to $1200-1500. After you buy a nice set of Fuchs and tires you'll easily bust $2000. Why quibble over a couple hundred bucks on a 911 front end?

Verruckt
Randy

Find yourself a Pcar race shop. They should have plenty of takeoff front ends. I guess they remove all that, and put on the highdollar stuff. I have my own personal gold mine, but it wouldn't make sense shipping wise for you. After happening on this, I don't know that I would pay more than $500 for a carerra or sc front end, and even then it better be REAL nice.
Yellowbeard
QUOTE (Verruckt @ Jun 9 2005, 03:18 PM)
Randy

Find yourself a Pcar race shop. They should have plenty of takeoff front ends. I guess they remove all that, and put on the highdollar stuff. I have my own personal gold mine, but it wouldn't make sense shipping wise for you. After happening on this, I don't know that I would pay more than $500 for a carerra or sc front end, and even then it better be REAL nice.

I note that you're in the midwest. I have been thinking about making this switch as well (if I actually end up fixing up Bruenhilda). Would shipping to NW Arkansas make sense (that is, assuming you're willing to let another prospector into your gold mine)?

Thanks.

YB
sixnotfour
I know you want boxter wheels, Be Patience , If you just want five lug I will send you my fixture and that will get you by. Key is a watchful eye when you own a 914.
If youre's is hub centric then youll have to machine that off. other than that bolt it on and drill. three diff. drill bushings and bushing to guide tap.
Not Perfect but works Good.
goose2
Thanks for all the suggestions. It sounds like 500 isn't a bad price to pay...I have found one for near that, we're still dickering. I also requested a quote from 20th St. Auto...thanks for the tip Travis. I've already got the Boxster wheels (and some Fuchs) and Eric Shea is making me some rear hubs...it's hard to be patient looking at these beautiful wheels just setting in my garage. Jeff, thanks for the offer for use of the fixture...didn't know that was possible (we're talking front hubs, right?). I'm going to hold out for a good deal and just keep it in my pants I guess, until I get the big brakes ....then I be goin & stoppin, goin & stoppin.
John
I found my 911SC front struts, hubs calipers and rotors on the Pelican Parts forums. I did better than the $500 mark, but not much. I think with shipping it was about $450.

I couldn't find any salvage yards that could beat that price.

I looked for a long time before I bought mine.

(The funny thing was once I found one and agreed to buy it, 5-lug front ends started showing up all over the place. I had 4-5 sellers trying to low ball each other once they found out I was seriously going to make the purchase. I made the commitment to the one I have and had to refuse the rest.)

I would recommend an SC front end for a street and mild track car as the rotors are cheaper to replace and are lighter than the carrera rotors and the pads are the same size as the carrera parts.

Just keep looking.....
Verruckt
QUOTE (Yellowbeard @ Jun 9 2005, 06:57 PM)

I note that you're in the midwest. I have been thinking about making this switch as well (if I actually end up fixing up Bruenhilda). Would shipping to NW Arkansas make sense (that is, assuming you're willing to let another prospector into your gold mine)?

Thanks.

YB

Let me see what the weight is on it and I'll let you know. You may just be close enough that it *might* be worth it. But that is a lot of weight to ship..

Does anyone know what the weight is offhand?
Yellowbeard
QUOTE (Verruckt @ Jun 9 2005, 09:10 PM)
QUOTE (Yellowbeard @ Jun 9 2005, 06:57 PM)

Thanks.

YB

Let me see what the weight is on it and I'll let you know. You may just be close enough that it *might* be worth it. But that is a lot of weight to ship..

Does anyone know what the weight is offhand?

I appreciate you're even considering looking into it for me.

If it helps, my zip is 72701.

Thanks!
Eric_Shea
Hey Randy,

Sounds like you're getting a lot of good advice. I agree with Verruckt, race shops can be a gold mine. That stuff has little or no value to them, in fact, it's taking up space.

To reiterate: A $500.00 front end can be a good deal, if it's a Carrera front end with good strut inserts and calipers loaded. A $500.00 front end off a 75 911 with a bad insert isn't exactly what I'd call a bargin biggrin.gif

My last $150.00 front end was a "M" setup and it didn't include the calipers. I think you can find a set of calipers for $50-75 a pair, so that would have been a $200-$225.00 front end. How much for the 3.5" spacing? Maybe add another $100.00?? confused24.gif So now that would now make it a $325.00 front end.

Try these guys. Ask for George or Brian. They had a complete Carrera front-end for $500.00

Again I would look for something a step down from that otherwise... you're going to have to do some serious rear brake work to get "balance."

Eurosport is where I got my factory Recaro's for $225.00 (threw that in there to piss off Miles) biggrin.gif

Picture to make a point about race shops and to further piss off Miley-Pooh
redshift
I bought a mint '55 Les Paul, 20 miles outside of Dallas, on the Thursday before the Dallas Vintage Guitar Show.

I wish I had found those seats.

M
redshift
Ok Eric, please remove your picture there... I can't stop looking..

sad.gif

M
redshift
Please.
Eric_Shea
In a minute...
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.