Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: 90 Amp Alternator
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
nein14
thinking about buying the 90 amp alternator from DaveP, anyone have one in their 914? any install problems, how well do they perform to the stock one?
scruz914
I have one. No issues with installing it. Same body as stock. I had the engine out. To insure that I would get full juice to the battery I replaced the #10 (#8 maybe?) wire between the alt and starter with a nice thick (#4?) battery cable. I had to drill a separate hole for it in the alt cover. A little tight under the cover but no problems. Added a grommet to the new hole protect the cable insulation.

Right now 90 amps is overkill for me. Plan though is to use the extra output for brighter lights, sound system, whatever. I have not checked the actual amp output since I put the engine back in. Volt gauge readings are healthy however it does drop when the breaks, turn signals, or headlights are on. I had this symptom before the new alt and thought it was due to poor grounding. Before the new alt the needle would drop below 12 volts. With new alt the reading stays above 12 volts. I still think that some of the drop is because the volt meter is at the end of the ignition on circuit (red/wht wire), i.e. after the signal and break pedal switches.

The only odd thing I have experienced with the new alt is that the dummy light stays on after I start the car and only goes out after the engine is brought up to 2500 rpms. Then it stays off no matter what the rpms are. I have not talked to Dave or anyone else about this and don't consider it an issue.

Dave is a good guy to work with. He made an extra effort to get my alt sent quickly. If you have the need for more juice or just don't want to deal with a crappy rebuild from your FLAPS, I would go with him.
MecGen
Hi
I bought the 75 amp from Bosch.
I think it was a 72 VW bus application. Bolt in.

I have a stereo, alarm, and lites...10 years and never failed. Bosch parts are availible from many AutoPart stores, check around, its dirt cheap and comes with an amazing warrenty

I also upgraded the wiring...

Later
Joe

beerchug.gif
Mark Henry
I have a bug alternator from Dave. went from 50 amp to 85 amps.

That's all I can say...haven't installed it yet. smile.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.