Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Old Airport Hangar
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pages: 1, 2
sixnotfour
So my wife comes homes with a story about , a coworker who bought a dirt bike that stopped by another coworkers house and worked on their bikes ,I say OK, So she says down the road is a trial that goes out to a field down the field is a Old tin building with the doors open, and inside is a bunch of junk thats been vandalized and a square shaped PORSCHE, I say YAYA, OK, where is it ?
So the next day I drive over and cant find a thing, but I notice the friggin field is an Airport they closed in 1999 ?, they are going to turn it into a Park. I call the parks department they say the Hangars are Gone.
I call my wife she talks to the coworkers, I look again , find a trial thru a fence that goes out to the field and there's the hangar, door wide open crap all over the place and..........this picture is after property owner went out and cleared the way
sixnotfour
So I am a little nervous, obiviously someone cut a hole in the fence, but the path was pretty well worn , So what the hell...............At the end the path opens up to the old airfield , pretty cool, Cooler yet there's a 914
Brett W
Go pull the car out and take back to your place. Or call the owner and find out if you can do that.
sixnotfour
Hangar door left open , junk, broke, thrown everyplace, 914 unlocked no visible damage, just blue spray paint,
No registration,,,
ArtechnikA
QUOTE (sixnotfour @ Jun 9 2005, 05:22 PM)
I call the parks department they Hangars are Gone.

i recall reading a story about a guy's trip through Beaureaucratic Hell in a similar situation.

there was an old, abandoned shed on a bit of county property, which was perfect for a guy's needs. calls up the county to see if they want to sell it, as it's in a bit of disrepair and he figures they won't pay to fix it and could use the money from the sale. county insists there is no shed, and if there were, they couldn't sell it.

he persists but the county is adamant there is nothing to sell. so he dismantles it and brings it home.

suddenly he's charged with theft of public property now mysteriously valued in excess of $10,000(!). the case goes to trial and sure enough, chief witness for the prosecution is the selfsame county oficial who insisted there was no shed.

eventually the judge dismissed the criminal charge, placed a reasonable value on the shed, and let the guy keep. the county guy continued to insist that the only proper thing to do was condemn the shed and destroy it.

it was widely suspected that the county guy wanted the shed for himself, but of course that was beside the point and never proved.

the moral is: be very careful about 'liberating' anything you find on public land, even if the "responsible" government agency insists it doesn't exist...
Grimstead
Go pull the car out and take back to your place.

Is it just me or deja vu(sic) confused24.gif
Aaron Cox
QUOTE (Grimstead @ Jun 9 2005, 02:38 PM)

lol2.gif agree.gif
sixnotfour
Believe me I was nervous even about being there, so i go home , go online county records ,aireal view, zoom in on the Hangar,click on TAX ID number,
Go to Tax History, and there it is, Owners name, taxes paid ,you name it.
Look up the name in local phone book , Damn there is about ten same last names. I pick the one in the middle. Call em up , Introduce myself , ask if so and so is there, they say no, I ask if they ever flew at the old airport ?, she says yes ,
I explain the situation, She replies that's my sister inlaw, Here is her number
I'm pretty much shocked , that was easy.........
tat2dphreak
QUOTE (Grimstead @ Jun 9 2005, 04:38 PM)

I was thinking the same thing bro... try to get it through the proper channels, then if that don't work... the decision is yours what you do next
TravisNeff
This story gets better by the minute! smilie_pokal.gif
tat2dphreak
QUOTE (Travis Neff @ Jun 9 2005, 04:49 PM)

yea, and Jeff is dragging it out ... you think you're ron howard or what?! wink.gif
Grimstead
QUOTE (tat2dphreak @ Jun 9 2005, 02:52 PM)
QUOTE (Travis Neff @ Jun 9 2005, 04:49 PM)

yea, and Jeff is dragging it out ... you think you're ron howard or what?! wink.gif

chairfall.gif
sixnotfour
Turns out the property is 1 acre along the field the county did not purchase.
I get a call later that evening , You called about the property? I say yes, she says ,The hangar is hers,but its rented to some one for storage. I tell here thats is wide open, and I am interested in the 914, she says what? I say the Porsh, She says OK I will have someone call you.
The next day a guy calls me and says it belongs to his family,They were saving it for his son, but things were different now. We arrange to meet out there ,
The next week. This is how it looked when I got there , and I think oh shit.
theol00
didn't recently somebody go to jail - for rescueing an old 914?
Aaron Cox
QUOTE (theol00 @ Jun 9 2005, 02:56 PM)
didn't recently somebody go to jail - for rescueing an old 914?

is this a rare prototype jeff? chairfall.gif drunk.gif
Grimstead
Chapter 6, The Doors Were Closed.... type.gif
sixnotfour
Aaron to Funny ,It is a 1976 ,Oh I think its the last one laugh.gif laugh.gif
Aaron Cox
QUOTE (sixnotfour @ Jun 9 2005, 03:00 PM)
Aaron to Funny ,It is a 1976 ,Oh I think its the last one laugh.gif laugh.gif

come on..ther has to be something rare, where we all stand back and go "ooooohhhh ahhhhhhh" has some funky body panel or something.... LOL

"where'd you find it"
"abandoned in a hangar"
"Sir, you have the right to remain silent" rolleyes.gif chairfall.gif
ewdysar
So more than a week has passed? You're not setting us up for an end of the season cliffhanger are you?

Eric
Aaron Cox
QUOTE (ewdysar @ Jun 9 2005, 03:06 PM)
So more than a week has passed? You're not setting us up for an end of the season cliffhanger are you?

Eric

didnt think they had internet access in prison?

ok. im done w00t.gif
914fire
Hes on the corvette website talking about the 53 chevy he found in a hangerand bought for 500.00 that actually turned out to be a vette..... biggrin.gif
MecGen
Am I the only one that see the obvious....

Dead body in the trunk... cool_shades.gif

UPDATE !!!

Later
Joe

beerchug.gif
914fire
both trunks full of cocaine? smoke.gif
TravisNeff
gerbils wrapped in duct tape in the longs? unsure.gif
sixnotfour
The Final Chapter,
It was a sunny day when I went to Purchase the 914.,
Jon, The old guy was interesting to BS with about the good ole days of the Airport,
Turns out the Locals keep cutting the fence to get at the airfield , and bustin into the place.
I Get the Title, but no keys, Says they were in the car ?
Long story short I got a 76 2.0 has not been registered since 1990
Brakes work good,handbrake too, motor turns,gas tank full of gas,no rust. rusty battery tray, but no holes,Tires shot,flat, body good except right door needs work.Blue paint needs to be removed. Oh ya need a Key made.

A lotta leg work , But I got it legally and it was an adventure monkeydance.gif
TravisNeff
With all that buildup you better tell us you got it for a song!
sixnotfour
gerbils wrapped in duct tape in the longs?  

Actually ,Iwas suprised as there is a little sign in by the gas tank nowhere else, Believe me I looked ,I had a 914-6 That had total infestation and it was Not something I ever will deal with agian.

come on..ther has to be something rare, where we all stand back and go "ooooohhhh ahhhhhhh" has some funky body panel or something.... LOL

The ole guy said that hood emblem should be worth quite a bit, I replied Id rather it wasnt even on it .

Dead body in the trunk...

The rear trunk is locked. No Key blink.gif
tat2dphreak
smilie_pokal.gif smilie_pokal.gif another rescued!! did you get a good deal?!
goose2
I'm dying to know what he paid for it....c'mon Jeff. Hope you got a screaming deal.
SLITS
I know that car.....the missing loot from D.B. Cooper is in the trunk......."if I only had a key"..............
spare time toys
It came with a deed to some beach front land in the locked trunk laugh.gif
SirAndy
make sure you drain that 15 year old "gas" from the tank before you try to start her up ...

"varnish eats motors"

nice find! and you didn't even go to jail for it ... smilie_pokal.gif
wink.gif Andy
Midtowner
Facinating story! Good reading. How much? Inquiring minds want to know! cool_shades.gif
sixnotfour
Initially when I looked at it, I thought my wife will kill me and offered 500.00
His reply was someone offered him 2000. a few years ago.
I thought you should of sold it. BTY, I also thought WTF its agreat story.
I didnt pay 1500. . As close as I will tell , Yes another cliff hanger ,stay tuned................Goof off works great ,and a sixpack beer.gif
I gotta work tomorrow will start it next week, Think Key burnout.gif

The old guy told me about a couple of other old Porsh's sittin around idea.gif
Bleyseng
Looks like Eddie was visiting too....
URY914
Beats the hell out of my Florida 914 story.... sad.gif

Paul
TimT
where is Bradhole anyway? he hasnt posted in a few days

messix
man that was the deal i was looking for.

want to sell it?
sixnotfour
Beats the hell out of my Florida 914 story....  

I beg to differ Kevin Jennettte and his stash , is really quite remarkable, I worked with Walter Gerber a friend of Kevins and he and his accomblishments are guite something to behold , Porsche Racing history the best.
rick 918-S
Sweet! clap.gif
MoveQik
QUOTE (Midtowner @ Jun 9 2005, 04:19 PM)
Facinating story! Good reading. How much? Inquiring minds want to know! cool_shades.gif

Ahhhh....it reminds me of 5 years ago when I found my current 914. I still remember picking up that Auto Trader, wondering, would this be the issue that had MY 914 in it. Well.....its sorta the same. huh.gif
michel richard
QUOTE (JoeSpark @ Jun 9 2005, 02:13 PM)
Am I the only one that see the obvious....

Dead body in the trunk... cool_shades.gif

UPDATE !!!

Later
Joe

beerchug.gif

Jimmy Hoffa's ?
rhodyguy
is the old airfield the one at martha lake? never mind. i almost drowned in martha lake when i was a kid.

k
ws91420
And I thought this was going to be about Seinfelds Porsche hanger. Nice find biggrin.gif
914werke
Missed that one! thats a .25 mile from my house wub.gif
When it was still open I used to take my race bikes up there and do high speed plug chop runs ending on Meadow rd. and coast the bike home w00t.gif
I take my 9 yr old mtn biking in on, and around the old air field now. Oh well good score & story! smilie_pokal.gif
messix
i live very close to there to. just a couple of miles.

imagine that. that car looks very close to mine.
914werke
Troy Im supprised Ive never seen your car? wink.gif
messix
i've only had it about a month now.

you'll most likely see me around snohomish, silver lake, and over by the boeing plant.

and i'm on call alot, so i drive the company ride for that.
Toast
Guess your Wife will be getting the first ride in it since she was the first to spill the beans about it to ya! mueba.gif

Congrats! Hope its a good runner! smilie_pokal.gif

I like the tissues stuffed into the trunk lock (or something) in the picture from the back.
dinomium
Hey, Kev I almost drowned in that lake too!
I also found a Ferrari on cragslist for only 10k!
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.