Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Trailing Arm Issue
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
aharder
Well I finally got enough time to start the replacement of bushings and axle bearings in my trailing arms and I found a problem with the inside mount on the right side of the car and the bracket on the right side of the car. The left side of the car looks good.

I'm looking for recommendations on the best way to repair this

This picture is the inside

Click to view attachment

This is the outside

Click to view attachment

I'll be looking for another bracket in the classified section real soon.

Click to view attachment

This is the nut and washer from the mount.

Click to view attachment

The bracket side did not have a washer under the nut, same for the left side of the car also, no washer on the bracket nut??

This is the inside of the bracket, what could have created this gouge in there?
Anyone ever see anything like this?

Click to view attachment

Suggestions?
Thanks in advance
tygaboy
I would:
- Get another mount
- Bolt it on, using its "good" hole to determine where the hole needs to be in the ear
- Machine up what would essentially be a washer of the appropriate thickness with the hole sized to the factory opening (don't have that handy...)
- Open up the hole in the ear (centered to the original hole) so the "washer" is a nice fit
- Weld it the washer
- Carefully grind the weld smooth
- Celebrate with your favorite beverage!

I'm sure others will weigh in with other suggestions.
Best of luck with the repair!
flyer86d
Well, you have a choice. You could replace the suspension console in it’s entirety, or, if the existing one is solid and free of cracks, weld up the hole and redrill. The handling must have been diabolical!

Charlie
brant
its actually a very common problem

search on the website for "ovaled suspension mount"

its repairable and absolutely needs to be.
your rear alignment is shifting each time you accelerate and each time you turn or brake. its really bad for handling, and needs to be addressed.

many members have repaired this in many different ways
(I am a die hard fan of suspension bracing now after having the same situation 20 years ago)
tygaboy
For your reading/repairing pleasure:

http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?sho...uspension+mount
Jeff Hail
QUOTE(tygaboy @ May 17 2018, 11:00 AM) *

I would:
- Get another mount
- Bolt it on, using its "good" hole to determine where the hole needs to be in the ear
- Machine up what would essentially be a washer of the appropriate thickness with the hole sized to the factory opening (don't have that handy...)
- Open up the hole in the ear (centered to the original hole) so the "washer" is a nice fit
- Weld it the washer

Exactly!

Don't use hardware store washers. Get something harder. Make a collar and bush the hole, weld both sides and grind the welds down. Then call Chris Foley and order a set of his mounts. Be done with it.
marksteinhilber
QUOTE(tygaboy @ May 17 2018, 11:00 AM) *

I would:
- Get another mount
- Weld it the washer

I agree, this is the repair I did, its all you need!
aharder
Thanks for the feedback !!
Rob-O
And when you put the new nuts on the inside, by new ones from Porsche. They’re lock nuts. They have a slit in the side of them that causes the night to bind itself slightly on threads. Sometimes when they get replaced guys replace them with regular nuts or don’t torque them sufficiently.
SirAndy
Weld up, re-drill, done ...
welder.gif
brant
QUOTE(Rob-O @ May 18 2018, 08:11 PM) *

And when you put the new nuts on the inside, by new ones from Porsche. They’re lock nuts. They have a slit in the side of them that causes the night to bind itself slightly on threads. Sometimes when they get replaced guys replace them with regular nuts or don’t torque them sufficiently.

Last I checked new lock nuts were NLA
I hope they are back but...
mgp4591
QUOTE(aharder @ May 17 2018, 11:39 AM) *

Well I finally got enough time to start the replacement of bushings and axle bearings in my trailing arms and I found a problem with the inside mount on the right side of the car and the bracket on the right side of the car. The left side of the car looks good.

I'm looking for recommendations on the best way to repair this

This picture is the inside

This is the outside

I'll be looking for another bracket in the classified section real soon.

This is the nut and washer from the mount.

The bracket side did not have a washer under the nut, same for the left side of the car also, no washer on the bracket nut??

This is the inside of the bracket, what could have created this gouge in there?
Anyone ever see anything like this?

Suggestions?
Thanks in advance

I see you've already got hold of Mark on this... biggrin.gif
ndfrigi
just curious! why is it the damaged is towards the bottom instead of above the original hole? I thought the damage should be on top because the weight of the car is against the trailing arm.
Or is it because the nuts on bought side of the trailing arm are not tight enough and when you brake, the body (both ear and bracket that holds the trailing arm) will lift that made the damage below the original hole.
Jeff Hail
QUOTE(ndfrigi @ May 19 2018, 12:51 AM) *

just curious! why is it the damaged is towards the bottom instead of above the original hole? I thought the damage should be on top because the weight of the car is against the trailing arm.
Or is it because the nuts on bought side of the trailing arm are not tight enough and when you brake, the body (both ear and bracket that holds the trailing arm) will lift that made the damage below the original hole.

I noticed the same thing, how would the shaft get past the narrow center of the eight on the pivot bracket? Modified camber?, bent trailing arm, pickup tweaked or a larger issue under the surface. That would be about 10mm worth of shim stack. The training arm bushing spigots been grinding away at it on the inside bottom.
ndfrigi
for sale outer trailing arm bracket from Bruce.

http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?sho...=327241&hl=
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.