Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Been having dreams of dual weber carbs..
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Mueller
Between seeing all these /6 conversions with Weber carbs and watching too Comedians in Cars Getting Coffee with so many carb'd vehicles I keep looking at converting to carbs.

Still going to run a distributor (modern programmable version) so no desire to go full standalone EFI.

I'm hoping my L-Jet plays nice on my 1.8 with bigger cam and 2.0 valve sized heads however I'm sure I'd get a little more oomph from the webers...that and webers just plain look sexy.

If, and that is a big if....would IDF 40s or IDF 44s be better?

jdamiano
QUOTE(Mueller @ May 17 2018, 01:02 PM) *

Between seeing all these /6 conversions with Weber carbs and watching too Comedians in Cars Getting Coffee with so many carb'd vehicles I keep looking at converting to carbs.

Still going to run a distributor (modern programmable version) so no desire to go full standalone EFI.

I'm hoping my L-Jet plays nice on my 1.8 with bigger cam and 2.0 valve sized heads however I'm sure I'd get a little more oomph from the webers...that and webers just plain look sexy.

As with most things people like what they know. I know Webers so I like mine. I run 40s on my stock 2.0 and think it runs fine. 44 will be too big unless you have the heads and cam to take advantage of the larger size. You are about to hear from all the guys who know the EFI system that disagree with me.
struckn
QUOTE(jdamiano @ May 17 2018, 11:19 AM) *

QUOTE(Mueller @ May 17 2018, 01:02 PM) *

As with most things people like what they know. I know Webers so I like mine. I run 40s on my stock 2.0 and think it runs fine. 44 will be too big unless you have the heads and cam to take advantage of the larger size. You are about to hear from all the guys who know the EFI system that disagree with me.

agree.gif

Go with 40's but make sure your CAM will work with them. Keep the L-Jet if you switch and store it in case you ever decide to sell the car.
ConeDodger
Carbs get away with a lot because they're 'simple.' They're not, Simple that is, but people run them pig rich and put up with the bad behaviors. You'll need a low pressure pump, but that is about it except linkage. EFI is more complicated from the aftermarket POV but you're up for that. The learning curve is steep but it starts to come together after a bit.

If I was staying 4 cylinder which of course, I'll never see another 4 cylinder in my garage, I'd do a 2056 with MS3.
Mblizzard
You can do FI and still get that sexy carb look.

Click to view attachment

All a matter of what you want to do. If you want to pay someone to set the carbs it can be expensive initially. A L jet should play well with the mods but sometimes it is hard to make the mods and old FI play well together.
Mark Henry
L-jet won't play nice with a bigger cam.
40mm, the 44's are for much bigger engines.
Elliot Cannon
I've been rockin' 44idf Webers on my 2.2 liter for the past 15 years. Webers aren't all that complicated. Well, OK they are but if you set them up using the proper sequence they work just fine. Plus, the "badass" factor is there as well. biggrin.gif https://www.bing.com/videos/search?q=289+co...amp;FORM=VDMCNR
TravisNeff
QUOTE(Elliot Cannon @ May 17 2018, 08:09 PM) *

Oooh baby!
Dave_Darling
I think it may be a substitution for swapping motors.... If you've decided to keep with this motor, but you still feel the need to change your mind about fundamental drivetrain choices ever 30 minutes, this should scratch the itch for the next half-hour... wink.gif

--DD
Chris914n6
L-jet should still be within range. Airflow isn't going to increase THAT much with slightly bigger valves and a little extra cam lobe.

Carbs - 40 would be the right size, but actually getting more usable power is going to take lots of tuning.

I've had 6 914-4s and the bone stock 2L was by far better overall.
thelogo
Think about it

Just use what is optimized for your motor size cam etc

. Dont get me wrong i prefer a minimum of computer controlled dependency when it comes to fuel delivery .

But if you daily drive it ,then fuel injection, heat, 87 pump gas makes sense

If its just a sunday toy , i like webbers , headers and 91 octane

Alot more
Mark Henry
QUOTE(Chris914n6 @ May 18 2018, 02:22 AM) *

L-jet should still be within range. Airflow isn't going to increase THAT much with slightly bigger valves and a little extra cam lobe.

Airflow has nothing to with it (to a point) it's duration and overlap changes that FI systems can't handle. Stock FI has little tolerance to cam changes.
You would need to know what cam you have.

Even programmable FI has issues with large duration cams, they produce a very poor vacuum (MPS) signal and many end up running a TPS only system.
Mblizzard
QUOTE(Mark Henry @ May 18 2018, 03:53 AM) *

QUOTE(Chris914n6 @ May 18 2018, 02:22 AM) *

Airflow has nothing to with it (to a point) it's duration and overlap changes that FI systems can't handle. Stock FI has little tolerance to cam changes.
You would need to know what cam you have.

Even programmable FI has issues with large duration cams, they produce a very poor vacuum (MPS) signal and many end up running a TPS only system.

So true! My current build only gets to about 60 kpa at idle. Got a workable speed density tune but I am also doing a Alpha-N (TPS only) tune. Saw one engine with too big of a cam trying to run stock FI and it just never worked.
Mueller
QUOTE(Dave_Darling @ May 17 2018, 10:15 PM) *

I think it may be a substitution for swapping motors.... If you've decided to keep with this motor, but you still feel the need to change your mind about fundamental drivetrain choices ever 30 minutes, this should scratch the itch for the next half-hour... wink.gif

--DD

I'm close to spending just as much on my engine build (without the carbs) than I paid for the entire car! So the motor is a keeper smile.gif

Mark Henry
If you are running the WEB FI cam (#73 IIRC) then you are likely OK with Ljet.
Every other cam is really a carb cam and will not work with stock FI.
Chris H.
Geoff Bleyseng ran L-Jet on his 2.0 so it works but the question is the lumpier cam. I'm not an expert on Type 4 cams.

If you want to go carbs maybe return the electronic distributor setup and just use the stock distributor? Use that cash for some carbs? 40's should work fine on a 1911.

SirAndy
QUOTE(Mueller @ May 17 2018, 12:02 PM) *
Been having dreams of dual weber carbs..

FI can be made to look and sound just as cool as a set of new carbs.

But the biggest point for me is that i really only spend a few minutes a month looking at my engine compared to the hours of driving.

And the FI just simply drives so much better. Smooth running, starts up immediately no matter where i am, at the beach or in the mountains.

You are indeed about to step back into the stone ages of automotive technology ...
biggrin.gif
MarkV
I agree modern electronic fuel injection is fantastic.

50 tear old ancient technology D-jet or L-jet isn't really the same thing. I had a 74 L-jet car and it suffered from all of the problems that I see around here. Vacuum leaks, head temp sensors, resistor pack and multi relay pack. It was a pain in the ass to keep it running. It stranded me a couple of times. Current car with carbs never strands me and it runs great. Maybe I got lucky when I jetted them and set them up but I never touch them. If I lived in cold climate and they were hard to start I might feel different. I don't want to work on my car I just want to drive it. popcorn[1].gif

Mueller
QUOTE(SirAndy @ May 18 2018, 10:08 AM) *

But the biggest point for me is that i really only spend a few minutes a month looking at my engine compared to the hours of driving.

And the FI just simply drives so much better. Smooth running, starts up immediately no matter where i am, at the beach or in the mountains.

You are indeed about to step back into the stone ages of automotive technology ...
biggrin.gif

Well, you have me convinced to go with a modern EFI , then to stay current I shall add ABS brakes, dual climate control, power steering, power windows , traction control and finally autopilot lol-2.gif

All kidding aside I have read more about carbs and Webers in the last few days than I ever had before.

Did you know Mr. Weber was kidnapped and his body never found? They suspect another political party that his party was against. Kind of like Jimmy Hoffa.

ConeDodger
QUOTE(Mueller @ May 18 2018, 07:23 PM) *

QUOTE(SirAndy @ May 18 2018, 10:08 AM) *

biggrin.gif

Well, you have me convinced to go with a modern EFI , then to stay current I shall add ABS brakes, dual climate control, power steering, power windows , traction control and finally autopilot lol-2.gif

All kidding aside I have read more about carbs and Webers in the last few days than I ever had before.

Did you know Mr. Weber was kidnapped and his body never found? They suspect another political party that his party was against. Kind of like Jimmy Hoffa.

When my 240Z had triple Weber 44 DCOE carbs that originally only came on Maserati 3000? and Ferrari racers, it ran like someone had stuffed a body in the carb barrels so... blink.gif
ClayPerrine
Betty's car is L-Jet. The six is dual factory Webers. I have spent about the same total time getting the Webers to work correctly as I did with her L-Jet. And her motor pulls harder and will out accellerate the factory 6 cylinder.

You can improve performance of the L-Jet system by putting an bigger throttle body on it. Best improvement on her motor ever. The cam in her motor is close to being too big for the L-Jet system. It has cold idle issues that I have not resolved. But you would get the same thing from carbs, so it is a wash.

Think about aftermarket EFI with individual throttle bodies. Best of both worlds.

This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.