Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Subaru Swap Downfalls?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
2mAn
Hey Everyone

Im starting to give up hope that I can find a -6 swap in my price range. I'm starting to look at other options and as much as I hate to admit it, the Subaru swaps are very tempting.

I wonder though, what are some common pitfalls?

- adapting the subaru -> 901 issues? Can the 901 handle 250+ bhp
- cooling issues as a result of plumbing a radiator, ie air trapped in the system?
- axles? can they handle 250+bhp?
- wiring issues?

Anything else?

Thanks
-Simon
mepstein
Pitfalls - trying to do it to cheap.

Unless you are really good at fab, buy the pre made parts from the suby conversion companies and use a suby trans.

Unless you are good with electrical, sub out the wire harness to someone who does them for a living.

All this helps you get it done instead of becoming a fixture in your garage.
Mowog4
I am just getting mine on the road, it is about 90% complete. It is a wrx engine with the subie trans and the coldwater cradle. I have had a problem breaking CV’s which was due to the axle splines not being perfect, that will be rectified next week. Other than that I lover this car. It is 265 horsepower at the wheels and is a blast to drive. Like any conversion I have been fixing lots of little things, but the car is rock solid. You’ll spend some money to do it right, go for it.
2mAn
I found a car thats already been swapped, but theres no history on it. I might be able to get it for a really good deal , so I know that means I should be ready for headaches.

I only have a few pics to go off of and it definitely looks like a STi motor (at least the intercooler has the logo), and it looks like it has a 901 trans due to the upgraded shifter.

If theres someone in the Seattle area who would be willing to check out the car Id appreciate it. I ran the VIN in the registry and it looks like it might be a former members car "glansbee". He only had a few posts though, and none were about the car.
Elliot Cannon
Then of course, there is the infamous "Subi curse". happy11.gif av-943.gif
mgp4591
QUOTE(Elliot Cannon @ May 17 2018, 09:12 PM) *

Don't pay any attention to Elliot - he's just jealous because the only thing he's got water cooled in his car are his chilled shorts for those long, hot, drives.... shades.gif
Chris914n6
It's been done a hundred times, so there are people that can answer questions. There are at least a dozen build threads here.

The downside is the costs add up quick, but it's still cheaper than all the extras needed to make a P-6 work, then add the cost of the -6.

All the cooling problems have been cause by owners being hot headed and clueless laugh.gif
thelogo
I can just think of one problem

Putting a radiator in a 914 is a dumb ass idea

Except for the rad in the engine bay guy

It screws up the entire car
Mueller
QUOTE(thelogo @ May 18 2018, 12:05 AM) *

This is a reversible modification if one wants to go back to air cooled even if you cut up the front trunk.

Look at the restorations where people have had to patch up dealer installed A/C units, what is the difference? Many of our cars already need repair due to rust or minor wrecks so another few days of "fixing" a radiator install isn't really that big of a deal.
76-914
oops
76-914
QUOTE(Elliot Cannon @ May 17 2018, 08:12 PM) *

The curse, or should I say cursing, Elyut refers to here is the profanity laced tirade one hears when a Suby conversion circles back to render aid to an old, decrepit, broken down type 4 sitting beside the road as more reliable autos passed him by. stirthepot.gif
QUOTE(Mueller @ May 18 2018, 07:06 AM) *

QUOTE(thelogo @ May 18 2018, 12:05 AM) *

This is a reversible modification if one wants to go back to air cooled even if you cut up the front trunk.

Look at the restorations where people have had to patch up dealer installed A/C units, what is the difference? Many of our cars already need repair due to rust or minor wrecks so another few days of "fixing" a radiator install isn't really that big of a deal.
Well said Mike. beerchug.gif
Chris H.
Yeah it's a pretty fun swap. My kid has really taken to it. Teaching her to drive the 5 speed this summer. Might never see the car again biggrin.gif .

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=suEgkKxAYD4

I would agree that you can't do it on the cheap. Do it right, treat it like it's a Porsche 6 conversion. It does take a lot of fiddling to get it to 100%. You have to like that kind of thing. There are plenty of people who will help on the forum.

What is the guy asking for the partially converted car? If all the parts are there it might be a good start for you. You can use the 901 trans if it's already set up, or you can sell the parts and buy a Subaru trans.

Hey Mike I remember a guy who jammed a VR6 into a 914 but that's a different story biggrin.gif. One of the original swap attempts.

Just to add a few more things:

- although the group probably has or can find the wiring diagrams, the wiring is "not the fun part" You can also use a standalone ECU like JRust does.
- Cooling is not an issue if you do it right. You do have to bleed the air out but we can give tips on how to set it up. Needs to be "self-bleeding".
- a 901 trans will handle the HP you just have to use an adapter plate, etc. and the Subaru trans is obviously designed to work with the engine.
ValcoOscar
QUOTE(Mowog4 @ May 17 2018, 04:18 PM) *

I am just getting mine on the road, it is about 90% complete. It is a wrx engine with the subie trans and the coldwater cradle. I have had a problem breaking CV’s which was due to the axle splines not being perfect, that will be rectified next week. Other than that I lover this car. It is 265 horsepower at the wheels and is a blast to drive. Like any conversion I have been fixing lots of little things, but the car is rock solid. You’ll spend some money to do it right, go for it.

I saw this car up close at Route 66 BBQ and was very impressed with install and workmanship. To each his own...I like Subie conversions. I can also say Kent has a super reliable Subie engine that gets great gas mileage.
Dr Evil
Im guessing you are looking at the flood damaged one mentioned in another thread here over in Puyallup? Lots of resources here. I like suby power. The 901 can handle a lot of HP, its all about low end tq, gearing, and how you drive it. The suby tranz will be far superior in this application, though.
thelogo
Thats like adding a merlin engine and a radiator

To a chance vought corsair ( naval aviators dont like radiators)

Or p-47 thunderbolt

Dont go against design philosophy.
2mAn
QUOTE(Dr Evil @ May 18 2018, 07:49 AM) *

Im guessing you are looking at the flood damaged one mentioned in another thread here over in Puyallup? Lots of resources here. I like suby power. The 901 can handle a lot of HP, its all about low end tq, gearing, and how you drive it. The suby tranz will be far superior in this application, though.

Yup, that’s the one. I was going to bid on one they recently had in my backyard. It was a-6 conversion that was a theft recovery. I was in it until about $20k and it sold for $22k. It looked like a steal. The timing wasn’t right for me as the auction ended when I was out of town.

Knowing this is likely a flood damaged car and the distance I’m probably in for more than I can handle... looks like the search will continue.

That being said, I’ll still watch it and want to continue to gather more info about the swaps because that might end up being the plan for my eventual 914.

Is there a “go-to” radiator that works best with installing up front?

76-914
QUOTE(thelogo @ May 18 2018, 08:00 AM) *

Or p-47 thunderbolt

Well, the Merlin (water cooled) was certainly a HUGE improvement for the P-51. Before the P-51's conversion it was, at best, a mediocre performing pursuit craft. And don't try to share that mind set with King Air (Beech Craft) owners. Most of the production line piston engined planes have been converted to Turbo props. I've also seen a few Piper Malibu's that were converted. My preference for the Subaru conversion comes from personal experience. I own a bone stock type 4 and it just sits in the garage where it is started twice a month. I have AAA but choose to drive the Subi conversion 914 as it is more reliable and I don't care much for Wrecker Rides. av-943.gif
QUOTE(2mAn @ May 18 2018, 08:04 AM) *

QUOTE(Dr Evil @ May 18 2018, 07:49 AM) *

Yup, that’s the one. I was going to bid on one they recently had in my backyard. It was a-6 conversion that was a theft recovery. I was in it until about $20k and it sold for $22k. It looked like a steal. The timing wasn’t right for me as the auction ended when I was out of town.

Knowing this is likely a flood damaged car and the distance I’m probably in for more than I can handle... looks like the search will continue.

That being said, I’ll still watch it and want to continue to gather more info about the swaps because that might end up being the plan for my eventual 914.

Is there a “go-to” radiator that works best with installing up front?
Yes. the present and general consensus is the Celica "Racing Style" radiator. It comes with fans for <$175.00.
chrisg
I guess I'm trying to shortcut reading through all the build threads, but has anybody here put together a list of what to budget for when doing a Subi swap? The obvious I can figure out but I'm just curious about the small things that might be overlooked but can add up in the miscellaneous costs to finish it off (like all the things you don't factor in when talking yourself into a -6 conversion).
Costa05
There is a nice subie swap 914 here in Phoenix Az on Craigslist for $9,500. You should check it out as a good starter car. I think the guys name is Vinney and is a forum member.
thelogo
has anybody here put together a list of what to budget for when doing a Subi swap?

I have the big /4 and im often the fastest car on the road
But

Custom 914 = budget is gonna be alot of $ w00t.gif

agree.gif

But if your gonna drop big cash then do it right and make it
A /6 a Subaru /6
thelogo
QUOTE(Costa05 @ May 18 2018, 06:56 PM) *

There is a nice subie swap 914 here in Phoenix Az on Craigslist for $9,500. You should check it out as a good starter car. I think the guys name is Vinney and is a forum member.

https://phoenix.craigslist.org/evl/cto/d/19...6584341431.html

Holy icon8.gif

That is a great deal
And dont really have to lift a wrench

Whoever buys that is gonna be smiling
mgp4591
QUOTE(thelogo @ May 18 2018, 09:00 AM) *

Or p-47 thunderbolt

A straight block vs a radial design is a bad analogy - especially when we're talking about one flat opposed design vs a very similar design. I get the addition of a radiator in both situations but it's a bit of a stretch...
thelogo
QUOTE(mgp4591 @ May 18 2018, 11:26 PM) *

QUOTE(thelogo @ May 18 2018, 09:00 AM) *

Or p-47 thunderbolt

A straight block vs a radial design is a bad analogy - especially when we're talking about one flat opposed design vs a very similar design. I get the addition of a radiator in both situations but it's a bit of a stretch...

The analogy im making is air cooled vs water pumper
mepstein
You should read some of the classic suby threads and make your own list. While the conversion has been done a hundred times, there are many ways to get there. I’m not a fabricator so I want to be able to buy all the pieces and assemble. Other, more skilled people, make many of the needed parts. Reading the threads and figuring out what you want the final product to be will help you to generate a list that is appropriate for your project.
76-914
QUOTE(thelogo @ May 18 2018, 07:39 PM) *

has anybody here put together a list of what to budget for when doing a Subi swap?

I have the big /4 and im often the fastest car on the road
But

Custom 914 = budget is gonna be alot of $ w00t.gif

agree.gif

But if your gonna drop big cash then do it right and make it
A /6 a Subaru /6

As Mark mentioned, depending upon your fabrication skills, the cost varies. But not by much. You'll save about $600 if you make your own cradle; $250 If you make your own cable shift system when using the Subaru transmission; $500 if you make your own wiring harness. So maybe $1300 in savings. That's about it. Not a lot when you consider the time one puts into creating these things. I'll list a Readers Digest condensed version to give you an idea.
Engine $1000
Cradle $250
Exhaust $450
Transmission, 1/2 shafts and CV's$1150
New Exedy clutch, pressure plate, slave/mstr cylinders, related plumbing $700
Radiator, controller and related plumbing $600
Body re-inforcement $350
Gage upgrades $400
Electrical upgrades (relays, junction boxes and wiring) $250
and because my engine came with an AC company a large Alt, I added:
AC-$1200
Heated Seats <$100
beerchug.gif
zipedadoo
My budget build took me about 2 months to complete.

Donor car $1800.00 (1996 2.2)
DIY Wire harness $0
DIY 4wd to 2wd conversion $0
Used MR2 shifter $40
Cables $140
Cable operated clutch $0
CV axles resplined $140
Homemade exhaust $25
Radiator, fuel pump, fuel filter, fuel lines, speed sensor, relays / fuse bolock from donor car $0
Timing belt, water pump, tune up for subaru $250
Temp gauge $50
DIY Tachometer signal converter $25
DIY Speedometer adapter $0 (but its 20mph off)
coolant powered heater. $100
DIY engine cradle and all other brackets and stuff $50

I don't think it could be done much cheaper unless you start with a cheaper donor car that's in good condition. It's not a fancy conversion but it has proven to be reliable and fun to drive.

The radiator is in the engine compartment with an underbody scoop .My son drove it to High school for two years with out any problems. Well he did drag a hole into the oil pan. So I got a new one off ebay for $50. I shortened the smashed one but have yet to install it. I does not over heat and the scoop has survived, which I find amazing.

I will admit the car lost some of it's soul after the conversion and we kind of miss it. But the dependability and drive-ability of the conversion makes up for it IMO.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.