Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: So I see this car on ebay....
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Yellowbeard
So I see this car listed, and it looks pretty good. Maybe I should just buy it instead of trying to fix up Bruenhilda?

The price looks good, but I am very hesitant to buy a car I have not personally looked at. Does anyone have any experience with this kind of thing? I have seen people on the forum say things about having other forum members in the area go and inspect cars. I could certainly promise to return the favor if one came up near me (NW Arkansas) either in turn or "paying it forward."

Advice? I like the look of it, as I said....

The Car in Question
tat2dphreak
that is a cool paint job.... interior looks good... but the scary areas aren't in the pics... hell-hole, longs, trunks, etc... the tranny needs work too...

I don't like this:

Owner:
I personally do not own this vehicle. I am selling this vehicle, and many more exotics to come, for a friend. If you have any questions about this vehicle, please ask before bidding. If you would like any additional information or pictures, please ask and I will provide them as soon as possible.

why doesn't this "friend" get an ebay ID of his own?!?! screwy.gif

factory sway bar wasn't 22mm and it wasn't weltmeister IIRC

a PPI is definately called for I smell
stromberg.gif
ewdysar
Welcome to the club YB. Now comes the opinions from all of us who have no more information than you do...

There are no photos of the problem areas of a 914. The paint is very new, lots of overspray. Front trunk was sprayed at a different time? The interior is mismatched, black seats and brown pad. Seems unlikely that the miles are original, but maybe. can't tell if work has been done to the driver's side of the rear trunk, maybe just the photo. Added info says that 4th gear may not work.

Last of all, Seller says that it's not his car, he's listing it for a "friend" and he's got more "exotic cars" coming.

Many of these questions can be answered with a PPI, but this car does not give me any long distance warm and fuzzies.
Mueller
looks like a decent car being sold by someone that does not know 914's all that well and wants to major in marketing smile.gif

bondo
For that price it'd be hard to go wrong, but I'm sure that in true ebay fashion it'll be up to $4k or so.

Something doesn't look right in the front trunk on the drivers side wheel well.. could just be crud, could be a bad repair. Needs a closer look for sure.
scotty b
I'm saying it's an ugly woman with a lot of makeup.

1 - Brown backpad that looks like it was dyed black ?
2 - Front bumper pad looks like hell
3 - engine coverd with overspray yet engine wall (firewall) still in primer
4 - nice new shiny paint with little or no prep werk and a poor interior = sales bling
5 - as mention no pics of the typically bad areas
6 - as mentioned before "selling for a friend" & "will be selling more EXOTICS for him" ???
7 - door panel recoverd with non-OEM cloth (it does look like a good job though)
8 - 4th gear problem (maybe)
9 - front trunk pic, right side, below headlight looks like some aftermarket welding ??

confused24.gif Roll the dice, we'll be here for help if it's a bum beerchug.gif
Yellowbeard
You guys are seeing things in the pics that I missed - thanks.

That overspray on the engine was what made me really nervous - just a classic sign of a poorly done job. The selling for a "friend" bothers me too - especially as the same guy had another 914 up earlier (Car in question - completed ebay item).

I sent mail asking for pics of the hell hole, the Vin, and asking if he knew if it was original mileage. I am curious if the "bad" 4th gear is just a poorly adjusted shift rod.

Well, if anyone can do a PPI I sure would love it. If not, I am not sure I want to take a chance on it.

Thanks all!
anthony
Don't roll the dice, don't buy a car you can't personally inspect. Think of ebay cars as just another online ad. Wouldn't you buy a car from the newspaper or a yahoo ad without inspecting it?
Yellowbeard
QUOTE (anthony @ Jun 9 2005, 03:09 PM)
Don't roll the dice, don't buy a car you can't personally inspect. Think of ebay cars as just another online ad. Wouldn't you buy a car from the newspaper or a yahoo ad without inspecting it?

You sound like my father.....

....who is a very intelligent man (god dammit, I hate being old enough to admit that).

He would say, "Why would you buy a car you know nothing about when you have one already that you know everything about - just put the money in the car you already have."

tat2dphreak
QUOTE (Yellowbeard @ Jun 9 2005, 06:14 PM)

....who is a very intelligent man (god dammit, I hate being old enough to admit that).

He would say, "Why would you buy a car you know nothing about when you have one already that you know everything about - just put the money in the car you already have."

a PPI from a trusted member is a good substitute... there's been a lot of cars PPI'd on this site...
Yellowbeard
QUOTE (tat2dphreak @ Jun 9 2005, 03:18 PM)

a PPI from a trusted member is a good substitute... there's been a lot of cars PPI'd on this site...

I kinda figured that was the case.

You have a picture of cool hand luke and a quote from Swingers. You're my kind of guy, phreak
scotty b

I take that back now that I have seen the other ad for the other car for the other guy unsure.gif This smells of trout. May be legit but I say run,there are always cars for sale on this site by trusted members who will give you the straight poop, ( disclaimer : there may be one or two exceptions to the afore mentiond members) laugh.gif
tat2dphreak
QUOTE (Yellowbeard @ Jun 9 2005, 06:23 PM)
QUOTE (tat2dphreak @ Jun 9 2005, 03:18 PM)

I kinda figured that was the case.

You have a picture of cool hand luke and a quote from Swingers. You're my kind of guy, phreak

CHL was the greatest movie ever and swingers is an instruction manual for life... beerchug.gif
john grier
I ask the seller to remove the so called vinel stickers that it might sell.
He said no, that who ever buys it can remove it.
No way would I buy from him.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.