Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Octeenerfest or Red Rocks Classic ?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
bandjoey
Both are in Sept and both are 900 miles from my front door.

Anyone here done both in past years? Not to knock either one but which one is the best event for a simple 2.0L teener?

Oh the agony of it all......which one do i pick??
ValcoOscar
QUOTE(bandjoey @ May 18 2018, 09:20 AM) *

Both are in Sept and both are 900 miles from my front door.

Anyone here done both in past years? Not to knock either one but which one is the best event for a simple 2.0L teener?

Oh the agony of it all......which one do i pick??

Bill-

I have not attended these personally however I do know people who have. Both are excellent events, great organizers and word on the street, they keep getting bigger and better.

I hope to make it to one soon.

driving.gif

Oscar

ClayPerrine
We are going to Okteenerfest. If you decide to go there, you can travel with us. Safety in numbers and all that.

mgp4591
I love RRC because the mountain driving is beautiful (and it's closer!) but the Octeenerfests I've been to have great driving as well with stunning green mountains and tighter roads. The area around Helen I know especially well since I've got 3 daughters about an hour away and we play there every summer. I'd say cruise with Clay and Betty and have a great time! driving.gif
bandjoey
QUOTE(ClayPerrine @ May 18 2018, 09:13 PM) *

We are going to Okteenerfest. If you decide to go there, you can travel with us. Safety in numbers and all that.

Thanks. will try not to get lost on the way. biggrin.gif

Anyone else right now? Driving or Trailering?
ConeDodger
Doesn’t Octeenerfest do Tail of the Dragon? Red Rocks is great, but we should all do the Tail in our lifetime...
michael7810
QUOTE(ConeDodger @ May 19 2018, 07:53 AM) *

Doesn’t Octeenerfest do Tail of the Dragon? Red Rocks is great, but we should all do the Tail in our lifetime...

I'm planning to drive my 914 from Phoenix to Octeenerfest this year for that reason.
mgp4591
QUOTE(ConeDodger @ May 19 2018, 08:53 AM) *

Not this year - they're driving the routes that weren't available last year due to hurricane damage. Last year was still a great drive but this year should be even better.
poorsche914
QUOTE(ConeDodger @ May 19 2018, 10:53 AM) *

For 2018, the route we drive on Friday will not include the Dragon (we drove it in 2013 and 2014 when the event was based in Townsend, TN)
Since Helen, GA is located just a couple hours or so south of the Dragon (via some really nice roads, BTW), a person could possibly include it in their drive coming to or leaving the event.

driving.gif
ClayPerrine
QUOTE(michael7810 @ May 19 2018, 01:56 PM) *

I'm planning to drive my 914 from Phoenix to Octeenerfest this year for that reason.

Good. YOU can take home the used seat cushion this year. biggrin.gif

If you want to meet up with us in DFW we can run together. Makes the trip nicer with more 914s.

I am hoping that I will have my 4.0L monster running for the trip. No guarantees though. Otherwise we will be in Betty's car, and maybe the six.
michael7810
QUOTE(ClayPerrine @ May 19 2018, 01:56 PM) *

If you want to meet up with us in DFW we can run together. Makes the trip nicer with more 914s.

I am hoping that I will have my 4.0L monster running for the trip. No guarantees though. Otherwise we will be in Betty's car, and maybe the six.

Maybe - I'm planning to stay in OKC on Tues night. Google Maps has me taking I-40 thru Memphis. What route will you take? I would love to meet other teeners along the way. I'll probably drive TOTD on my way home if I have time...need to repack for camping at Rennsport.
ClayPerrine
QUOTE(michael7810 @ May 19 2018, 05:26 PM) *

QUOTE(ClayPerrine @ May 19 2018, 01:56 PM) *

Maybe - I'm planning to stay in OKC on Tues night. Google Maps has me taking I-40 thru Memphis. What route will you take? I would love to meet other teeners along the way. I'll probably drive TOTD on my way home if I have time...need to repack for camping at Rennsport.

From 40 in Amarillo, come down 287 to DFW. From here we will be taking I20 all the way to Atlanta before turning north. Simple route.
snakemain
I'd go with Clay. 40 thru OK sucks. Rough road, and busy. I'm thinking about going south to 20 instead of 40 when I move back East in a a few weeks. Last year pulling my camper, I think I got the front wheels of my Suburban completely off the ground a few times with the bumps on I-40 east of OKC.
ClayPerrine
QUOTE(snakemain @ May 19 2018, 07:26 PM) *

I'd go with Clay. 40 thru OK sucks. Rough road, and busy. I'm thinking about going south to 20 instead of 40 when I move back East in a a few weeks. Last year pulling my camper, I think I got the front wheels of my Suburban completely off the ground a few times with the bumps on I-40 east of OKC.

agree.gif
Oklahoma has some of the most crappy roads I have ever been on. They don't spend much on highway maintenance.

Our first day out of here will be long. We want to stop at Barber Motorsport park and visit the museum on the second day. That will put us into Helen, GA early in the evening.

snakemain
I'll be living in Montgomery, AL then, so if things work out right, I may meet up with you guys for the last part of the drive.
michael7810
QUOTE(ClayPerrine @ May 19 2018, 06:12 PM) *

agree.gif
Oklahoma has some of the most crappy roads I have ever been on. They don't spend much on highway maintenance.

Our first day out of here will be long. We want to stop at Barber Motorsport park and visit the museum on the second day. That will put us into Helen, GA early in the evening.

Sounds like a plan. What day are you leaving?
ClayPerrine
QUOTE(michael7810 @ May 19 2018, 08:38 PM) *

QUOTE(ClayPerrine @ May 19 2018, 06:12 PM) *

agree.gif

Sounds like a plan. What day are you leaving?

We will be leaving here on the 12th. We plan to stay somewhere close to Barber the first night. Get up and be at the museum when they open and spend the morning and most of the afternoon there. From there we go straight to Helen, GA. Part of that will be remembering that the time changes an hour ahead going into GA.

michael7810
OK irish914.jpg
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.