Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: 3.2 Conversion - outlaw Street and track car project
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pages: 1, 2, 3
davehg
Last year I bought a 914-6 conversion with a 3.2. The car was an autocross car, and the PO had removed everything that wasn't essential - no more side windows and mechanism, no door panels, no carpet, no radio, no heater. Nada.

I had a mechanic friend go through, check and adjust everything, and the car runs great! It's loads of fun to run up and down Hwy 74 in the desert. It does smoke at idle, and needs a top end job, but otherwise ok, brakes are fine and tires are new, though the toe needs to be adjusted for a road trip. The car is geared for the track, and 80mph runs at 4.5kRPM. Oh...new battery too.

I've put about 800 miles on it since I bought it and the only issue was a faulty switch easily replaced. I'm planning to bring it back and upgrade the interior and do a top end job.

I'm bringing it back to the PNW and the cost to ship is $1200. I have a flatbed car trailer and can tow it, but finding the time to go down and fetch is a challenge - I'd need a week - three days down a day to pack up, and three days back, and the fuel/hotel costs wouldn't be much less than shipping up. Plus, crossing CA at 55mph with a trailer makes me want to puke in my mouth.

So....I had an idea. Me and my 16 year old kid pack light, fly into Palm Springs, and do the 1300-1400 mile trip home, stay off I5 and take my favorite motorcycle twisty roads home (I've done this trip on various motorcycles and cars over the years). The downsides - race seats, no creature comforts, wind blowing, may be very hot in the summer, my ass will ache at the end of a 350 mile day, and if we break down...well, that's when the real adventure begins, right?

Upsides - just about everything else, and we'd have that trip to remember for ages.

So what say you? Do the trip? Or bring the car back home the more secure way? If we do the trip, what should I bring along? Fuel pump? Relays? (going to bring plugs, belt, small tool kit, fuses)

Here's the pix of the car for clarity:

IPB Image

IPB Image
billh1963
Epic adventure for you and your son.

But, if you have any issues that return trip is going to stretch out more than three days.

Me? I would ship it.
Mark Henry
I'd do a shout out for members contact info along your route.
Just in case you needed a place to do a few repairs or more important worst case scenario a place park the 914 that's safe till you can pick it up.
4500 rpm is a bit high for long term, so it's going to be a bit slower ride than you expect. Just under 4k should be doable.

There's a article in Hagerty this month about two guys that drove a '79 alfa, that hadn't ran since 1989, about the same distance.
ConeDodger
I’d do it with just a AAA card. A 3.2 in good running order should be fine. Bring water. It isn’t a matter of might be, it will be hot. unsure.gif
jim_hoyland
Ship it. smile.gif
Larmo63
I'd drive it, your son will never forget the trip with you for the rest of his life and you'll be modeling a brave & adventurous spirit.

Go for it, we're here to help along the way. You will be fine.
thelogo
QUOTE(thelogo @ May 18 2018, 09:45 PM) *

X

Id do the trailer route, if your son is 16 and i assume has a lincense

Then you can split the driving up and a pick-up with empty trailer going
55 is good to practice driving driving-girl.gif
RickS
Drive it. I did this when I bought my SC, The Dildorado, in Salt Lake City. Drove it with a friend to Seattle and it was a great adventure which we still talk about 5 years later. Great bonding experience with your son and teach him some high performance driving skills. Do it but take with you or ship in advance tools, a fuel pump relay, fix a flat, fan belt, and towing insurance just in case.

Two weeks ago drove from Sedona to Seattle on I15 in 2 days and did 85 most of the way, but my V1 saved me a couple of times. SLC area is crawling with cops so if you go that way, beware.
KELTY360
QUOTE(Mark Henry @ May 18 2018, 06:24 PM) *

I'd do a shout out for members contact info along your route.
Just in case you needed a place to do a few repairs or more important worst case scenario a place park the 914 that's safe till you can pick it up.

agree.gif

Epic adventure. If you feel the car is sorted enough then go for it. You'll end up hot, sweaty and tired...just like a good workout. AAA Plus is your friend.
infraredcalvin
Drive it, I did that with my dad when picking up my 930, epic memories!
VegasRacer
Road Trip. MDB2.gif MDB2.gif
barefoot
Drive it it will always be remembered as an adventure with your son, just take your time.
Remember to bring your tool kit and plenty of water.
mlindner
In a heart beat....
Cairo94507
I vote for a road trip with your son. Bring ear protection, gloves, hats, sunglasses, a blanket, racer's tape, electrical tape, zip ties, assorted tools, good flashlight, flares, 3A's road service card, USB/cigarette lighter adapter charger for your phone(s), knife, snacks, and maybe a small floor jack, a can of fix-a-flat, a quart of oil or two, some disposable latex gloves, and some cash.

My twin brother and I drove from VA to CA last year in a 26' U-Haul van with my 914-6 in pieces in the back. The U-Haul was a POS but it never broke down. We enjoyed the trip, being able to spend that much time together driving across the country. We still laugh about the trip.

Have fun. beerchug.gif
My 914
Straight off the cuff I say do the trip with your son. As you said yourself, you'll always remember the experience plus he'll get an opportunity to do something with you that may not come around again.
73-914
Nothing better than ROAD TRIP.

Did many NJ to Florida trips back in the 80's , lots of fun
kahluver
Do it! I did this a couple of years back with my 10 y/o son. We picked to a 914 I bought on BAT and drove from Nebraska up California in the middle of summer. My 914 had windows and door panels though. smile.gif.

We did 1800 miles with no radio, no heater, no gas gauge in a new to me 914.

https://bringatrailer.com/2016/07/21/bat-au...adventure-home/
rhodyguy
Ship it. Is there a functional wiper system? You can not trust the weather. Roll the car off the transport, release the hounds and cry havoc. Limited choices climbing the Siskiyous.
worn
One reason I put in taller gears was to do that kind of thing. Planning 4,000 miles next month. I keep weighing the pros and cons of a long trip on back roads because I am not sure about about cell coverage and support in case of a breakdown. I figure an advantage of being older is that I have a credit card big enough to get me home by U-Haul. But you have to be able to find a U-Haul, rent a car to get to the airport etc. Interested in what people think and the question seems pertinent to your post.
worn
QUOTE(KELTY360 @ May 18 2018, 10:11 PM) *

Epic adventure. If you feel the car is sorted enough then go for it. You'll end up hot, sweaty and tired...just like a good workout. AAA Plus is your friend.

Yeah, but adventures can be stressful. You look back at it fondly, but at the time it can feel a bit different.
rhodyguy
Does the car have a spare that will work on all four corners? A tire failure, not just a flat, 15 miles south of Drain Oregon in the 914 was an eye opener for me.
914-300Hemi
I would do the road trip. I would bring plenty of water, oil, tools, duct tape, zip ties and last but not least your AAA card. The memories will last a life time.

Last year we drove to from LA to Spokane in a 911 without AC. Car ran great in 107 degree temperature.

Bring a Bluetooth speaker for some tunes.
Jett
... every year we drive our 73 1.7 from Seattle to San Fracisco down 101 and 1... We bring water, tools, oil, spare tire, and a good jack. Music is hard but we plug our iphone in to the stock radio and deal with the cabin noise.
ottox914
Road trip it. Memories like that don’t present every day. Is your son into cars? If not could be a long ride. Ear plugs, AAA card, and cc with a big limit as plan B. Along with basic repair tools and parts.
Unpretentious
Absolutely, do it! What an opportunity for adventure!!

Windows...You don’t need no stinkin windows. Drove old British sports cars for years without them. Good idea to bring what tools you think you might need, and the airline Allows.

3 years ago did a portion of the Air Head Parts Border to Border (Canada to Mexico) Treffen with my then 19 year old son. Had a great time! Did have to adjust toe on the ‘72 beetle in a USFS campground, but that was part of the adventure.

If you end up doing a CA Central Valley route for part of your journey, we’re about 1/2 hour north of Fresno. You’re welcome to lodge in our guesthouse, swim in the pool, park in a secure rural area and work on your car here if need be.
r_towle
no question, do it!
ClayPerrine
We make road trips in a 914 yearly. Only had to bring her car home on a trailer once. Bottom end starting knocking. We have been as far west as ABQ (I can't spell that name), as far north as Salt Lake, and as far east as Atlanta. Every trip was worth it. I always have a good time on them. Bring spare parts, and tools. Almost anything is repairable, it just takes time.

Oh, and the year we came home on a trailer, I replaced the motor, and we took off again. Drove to Salt Lake City for parade. Won my AX class too. Then drove home.

forrestkhaag
AAA Premier will tow 200 miles - 4 times per year / .....and if you're like me, you will need roadside assistance ocasionally. Once, when on the way to our home on the cali coast from Hell, Arizona,.., my C4S had a flat on the 10 freeway and I was 345 miles from home.

I called for a two hundred mile tow to a safe spot and had the car offloaded from the flat deck of the truck. Then called for another tow to get the second leg home. Te same driver showed up and dropped off the car at the Porsche dealer after dropping me off at home...... Big Tow for the guy / Big tip for the guy as well.

beerchug.gif
Millerwelds
QUOTE(rhodyguy @ May 19 2018, 07:33 AM) *

Ship it. Is there a functional wiper system? You can not trust the weather. Roll the car off the transport, release the hounds and cry havoc. Limited choices climbing the Siskiyous.

Rainx. Get hot over the mountains? Pull over. Drink water while you wait. Do it again, and again, until your going down hill. beerchug.gif
PlaysWithCars
ROAD TRIP! I've done a similar route round trip two times in a buddies caged, autocross/track prepared 911SC. Other than the gearing, not any different than what you're considering. Both of us would do it again in a heart beat. We actively looked for every back road we could find and saw many beautiful sights and had a great experience on the open road.

I lament for my kids that the American road trip is dead. Even when we do a long drive its in an environmentally controlled, sound deadened cabin with no connection to the world outside. They don't know that it gets colder when you get to to the top of a pass, or the refreshing feel of the cool air off a river when you've been running through a hot valley. Cruising up and down I-5 you don't get to see how people live in different towns. I think they're missing an important element of the American spirit that come from the freedom of the open road.

DO IT!
rhodyguy
It'll be a good day if you can make Shasta. The drive from Lancaster was a long leg. Then, up early and a push all day will get you home before dark. It was almost 3k when I got home after the WCR that started in Camarillo.
Rodzilla
I would trailer it. All the benefits of a road trip with your son, none of the risk to the 914. $0.02.
Mike Bellis
I bought mine in LA. Flew from SF and drove it home. About 400 miles. Engine ran fine the whole way.

When I looked at it the next morning... All of the inner CV bolt were very loose. So loose that I doubt I would have made it another 5 miles. Could have been very bad...

Bring tools if you plan on back roads. Bring tools if you are planning main roads.
warpig
ROAD TRIP!!!!! piratenanner.gif
I have made the trip up to PDX from SoCal and back so many times I cant remember them all.
But the one I did in the 914 and the numerous trips on a variety of motorcycles were the best of times. drunk.gif
Take a week and drive up the coast. Top speed will not be an issue most of the way, nice and cool sea breezes. driving.gif
Make some contacts ahead of time along the way in case of problems and buckle up. aktion035.gif
If you hurry you can make it back up for the WCR. idea.gif
settador
Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance--Phaedrus would do the trip. Taught my now 25 year old daughter to drive in a tired '74 1.8. Used to take her and the car to Boston and Vermont from Seacoast NH. Risky? Yes. Now she can drive anything anywhere. Made her put her winter wheels on her '94 Corolla winter rat using only the tools that came with the car. Now when she and a friend get a flat deep in the Adirondacks at !:00 AM, she gets out the jack and the spare and changes the tire on the side of the road. Do the trip. Prepare, improvise and bond. Take a copy of Zen and the Art....
jeff
Straight out the 10 to the coast! It will be a wonderful trip , You should be going right by me.. Jeff 805-368-5857.. Thousand Oaks area, just 7mi off the coast..you should include Mulholland Hwy on the way home, you’ll love it..
Tdskip
Do it
davehg
Looks like the tribes have spoken ROAD TRIP IT IS!!!

Great tips here. I can have the mechanic do a once over, and will sort the necessary stuff. I may rely on the kindness of folks here should a mishap occur.

I’ll be rockin mb111’s new sport GT prototype muffler since the stock one is toast.

I have at least 4 days back so the days should be manageable. I’m eyeing late July which means the coast would be ideal, except that Oregon coast is clogged with RVs that time of year. I may go through Lancaster, then head west, do Hwy 1, then up by Laguna Seca and head to Sacramento where my in laws reside. I really want to do Hwy 70 from Oroville to Lassen, then 44 to 299 to Eureka, up the coast into central Oregon. If the going isn’t too slow, I can stay on 101 pretty much close to Olympia. This route avoids some but not all of the heat.

Of course I’ll do a ride report.

Keep tips coming and when the date is set and locked I will let folks know and ask for contact info should stuff happen. I have a spot device too, might come in handy.

My kid is into cars, and has his permit but is learning stick. Goal in getting this car back home is to do autocross with him to improve skills.i lost my dad when I was very young so the inspiration to take this trip with my kid is very personal and strong.

No room for a spare but I will bring a air pump and tire worm kit to handle basic flats, AAA premium for most everything else.

Thanks everyone for encouragement, assistance, and tips!
My 914
If you think of it and have time, post a picture of the 2 of you and the car on or near the day you leave.
flmont
its only when your not prepared for the unexpected is a trip like that a real burden,But,when you are prepared it just adds to the story. driving.gif
PlaysWithCars
piratenanner.gif
You'll have to bypass Sacramento, but Hwy 36 between Fortuna and Red Bluff is a great drive and was repaved in the last 5ish years so its in good shape. The Mad River Burger Bar is an experience, not for the burgers but for the culture of Mad River. When we stopped there the local were very excited to have a Porsche in their midst.
settador
QUOTE(davehg @ May 20 2018, 11:51 AM) *

Looks like the tribes have spoken ROAD TRIP IT IS!!!

Great tips here. I can have the mechanic do a once over, and will sort the necessary stuff. I may rely on the kindness of folks here should a mishap occur.

I’ll be rockin mb111’s new sport GT prototype muffler since the stock one is toast.

I have at least 4 days back so the days should be manageable. I’m eyeing late July which means the coast would be ideal, except that Oregon coast is clogged with RVs that time of year. I may go through Lancaster, then head west, do Hwy 1, then up by Laguna Seca and head to Sacramento where my in laws reside. I really want to do Hwy 70 from Oroville to Lassen, then 44 to 299 to Eureka, up the coast into central Oregon. If the going isn’t too slow, I can stay on 101 pretty much close to Olympia. This route avoids some but not all of the heat.

Of course I’ll do a ride report.

Keep tips coming and when the date is set and locked I will let folks know and ask for contact info should stuff happen. I have a spot device too, might come in handy.

My kid is into cars, and has his permit but is learning stick. Goal in getting this car back home is to do autocross with him to improve skills.i lost my dad when I was very young so the inspiration to take this trip with my kid is very personal and strong.

No room for a spare but I will bring a air pump and tire worm kit to handle basic flats, AAA premium for most everything else.

Thanks everyone for encouragement, assistance, and tips!

So psyched for you! Looking forward to updates!
davehg
QUOTE(plays with cars @ May 20 2018, 08:02 PM) *

piratenanner.gif
You'll have to bypass Sacramento, but Hwy 36 between Fortuna and Red Bluff is a great drive and was repaved in the last 5ish years so its in good shape. The Mad River Burger Bar is an experience, not for the burgers but for the culture of Mad River. When we stopped there the local were very excited to have a Porsche in their midst.

Yes, stopped there once when on a motorcycle trip. They had pretty exotic meat choices (alligator, bison, snake etc) you could choose for your hamburger. Fun crowd, though I am pretty sure I heard banjos playing when we were sitting. (You sure got a purty mouth....)

Here's a couple of route plans. Problem is that Hwy 1 @ Big Sur is closed until Sept., and I want to stay away from I5 and 99 as long as I can b/c speeds and heat.

Days 1-2: https://binged.it/2LkzzSn
Takes us on Pines to Palms and then freeways around Los Angeles to Santa Paula. Then hit the glorious Hwy 33 to Ojai and Santa Maria. Slog up 101. Staying with relatives in Roseville.

Detour ideas? I could stay on 15 - Palmdale to 14 (Santa Clarita) then a brief jaunt up I5 to Frazier Park, then west to 33, but that bypasses some nice parts of 33. Up north, I could cut over around Gilroy, and take 152-Merced, then 140 to Mariposa and up past Sonora and head the back way into Roseville through Folsom. Not sure if those temps will be hotter than 101. Anyone?

Day 3-4
https://binged.it/2x6S35M
Ambitious - and hot through Red Bluff but nice and cool on the coast

Day 5 - Depending on how we feel, may need to hop on I5 around Eugene and head home.

Rand
Without hesitation, GO! Never let fear steal an adventure from you. Plan with AAA and take an epic adventure!!! Even if things go wrong, it will still be worth it because it will make a memorable experience. Compared to what? Staying home because you weren't sure? Meh, GO FOR IT! Teach your son to take risks that lead to bigger things rather than coil back and miss all the great opportunities. In fact, the bigger troubles you could have, the better teaching opportunities to equip your son to deal with adversity. I'd always rather have the experience to handle something because of an earlier hard time, than try and pamper and make everything perfect and miss out on the most important experiences and lessons in life. GO forth and don't look back!
warpig
QUOTE(Rand @ May 21 2018, 03:22 PM) *

Without hesitation, GO! Never let fear steal an adventure from you. Plan with AAA and take an epic adventure!!! Even if things go wrong, it will still be worth it because it will make a memorable experience. Compared to what? Staying home because you weren't sure? Meh, GO FOR IT! Teach your son to take risks that lead to bigger things rather than coil back and miss all the great opportunities. In fact, the bigger troubles you could have, the better teaching opportunities to equip your son to deal with adversity. I'd always rather have the experience to handle something because of an earlier hard time, than try and pamper and make everything perfect and miss out on the most important experiences and lessons in life. GO forth and don't look back!

agree.gif
That's where concourse weenies come from poke.gif
PanelBilly
Just caught up with this thread. What a great idea.
kahluver
QUOTE(Rand @ May 21 2018, 03:22 PM) *

What he said!!!

As for the travel pack. I packed about 50lbs of tools and spares in the trunk for our 1800 mile road trip. Be sure to pack a travel jump starter, air compressor and lots of bottles of water. The one thing that almost stranded us was a heat soaked starter. So you may want to be sure you have a relay kit for your starter circuit or remember to park in locations you can push start.

Have fun! It's been 2 years now and my son and I still talk about our trip. He's also not afraid of breaking down in a car now as he know we can figure out how to fix it.

rhodyguy
A floor jack.
Justinp71
I'd drive it. But one thing to consider is- How loud is it? It looks like it has a stock muffler, so your probably ok? If it has a race muffler you may get a terrible headache from the noise hours on end. Probably bring ear plugs just in case.

If you break down maybe rent a uhaul truck and trailer and tow it home the rest of the way? Might be hard to get it on the uhaul trailer if broken, might want to pick up a come along.
Jamie
Road trip with the kid for sure! Let him experience the world that exists beyond his arm holding his iPhone! In my long lost college days I did many multi-day drives in my Bugeye Sprite, like Ohio to Sebring for the races. And a 914, even in race trim, is a much better and more "sophisticated" drive than a Bugeye, all 948ccs of raw power! agree.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.