Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Paint codes
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Verruckt
I would like to find some paint codes for the older porsches, 50's and 60's era stuff.

Anybody know where to find a site that might show the color swatch and give the code and name?

McMark
No color swatch, but try http://www.glasurit.com. From the color menu at the top, choose Search for a Formula.
Verruckt
BTDT

What I'm actually searching for, is the old silver that was used on the 550's and 356's way back in the day. It's kind of like arctic silver, but seems like it almost has a bit of blue to it.
McMark
From what I've seen of paint mixing, even if you find the paint code it's still up to the person mixing it to get it right. And if they don't carry OEM Porsche paint then the code is converted anyway. In that case, forget the paint code and go look at chip books or have them custom mix a color.
ArtechnikA
QUOTE (Verruckt @ Jun 10 2005, 12:57 AM)
What I'm actually searching for, is the old silver that was used on the 550's and 356's way back in the day. It's kind of like arctic silver, but seems like it almost has a bit of blue to it.

when you see a line of those cars in original paint all next to each other at an event like a 356 Holiday or Parade concours, you see that there was a LOT of variation even in the original paints. and early metallics weren't very stable, so there's a good chance that if you could find an original-paint car now, it doesn't (still) look anything like it did 50 years ago.

but check this out: John Willhoit's Paint Chart Page

for a reasonable fee, John will spray a sample onto a 4x6 card and send it to you for your approval.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.