Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Lightweight Engine Crossbar
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
porschenut
I keep staring at my extra crossbar, and then the drill press. Has anyone tortured one of these to see how much metal can be removed and still hold the engine up?
Looking at the lite -6 mounting systems it seems to be a natural way to drop a few #'s.
Mueller
been done a few times...hopefully Paul will see this and post picutures of his new tube frame mount....

the earlier bars weigh a lot less than the later sideshifter bars which are made from cast steel wacko.gif
URY914
QUOTE (Mueller @ Jun 9 2005, 05:16 PM)
been done a few times...hopefully Paul will see this and post picutures of his new tube frame mount....

the earlier bars weigh a lot less than the later sideshifter bars which are made from cast steel  :wacko:

biggrin.gif Did someone say "lightweight"?

Here is mine. There is weight to be saved but being that the weight is at the lowest part of the car. Replacing it with something lighter will actually raise the center of gravity.

If I was doing a street track car I would drill some holes in the stock bar and leave it at that. I think I saw one like this at RacerChris' shop.
ChrisFoley
QUOTE (URY914 @ Jun 9 2005, 09:34 PM)
I think I saw one like this at RacerChris' shop.

Yes you did. biggrin.gif
I don't have a good picture of it or I would post one. It came to me on an engine I bought. A waste of time in my opinion. The weight is exactly where you would want it - directly below the center of gravity. Besides, you can't take off enough weight to save a meaningful amount just by drilling holes in the stock engine bar.
URY914
QUOTE (URY914 @ Jun 9 2005, 05:34 PM)
If I was doing a street track car I would drill some holes in the stock bar and leave it at that.

OK I take the above statement back. biggrin.gif

I went for the blink factor with mine cool_shades.gif

Paul
ChrisFoley
For the amount of time invested your bar makes a lot more sense to me Paul, especially considering your purpose-built lightweight car. smile.gif
URY914
QUOTE (Racer Chris @ Jun 9 2005, 06:04 PM)
For the amount of time invested your bar makes a lot more sense to me Paul, especially considering your purpose-built lightweight car. smile.gif

Thanks, Chris. I feel better now. biggrin.gif

Paul
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.