Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: It's raining inside
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
daytona
It is raining inside the car even though I have all new seals installed on the top, the windshield, and B pillar.
Car was parked in the driveway while I did some work in the garage. Started to rain and I thought nothing of it. Wrong!!! when I got in the car to move it into the garage it was all wet and there was rain coming in at the corners where the top meets the windshield post and also half way back to the Targa bar. The new carpet was soaked (I was not a happy camper).
Tried to start and it wouldn't. I have a GT engine lid which allows a lot of rain in the engine compartment.
Had to push the car into the garage. Dried all I could reach and it started right up.
So now I have to figure out why are all the new seals not sealing the top, and how to water proof the 3.0L engine compartment.
Any suggestions???
Am I ever going to be done with this conversion?
Thanks,
Bill.
mb911
Keeping the distributor dry is the most important thing when ensuring a good starting engine.
DRPHIL914
get an umbrella cover to thow over it quickly , it will prevent most of that rain from getting in engine compartment if you have to leave it outside - other wise with out seeing it I am not sure why so much would get in. - I have all new 914rubber seals and my car is pretty much dry evey in heavy rain when sitting, slight bit gets by rear border of side window and targa seal but that is really heavy rain and driving, not sitting.
daytona
mb911,
I thought I had the distributor taken care of when I sprayed some silicone spray on the mating surfaces, but I guess not enough. I had a distributor cover for my beetle distributor, but I have never seen one of those for a 6.

Phillip W,
The engine compartment has a GT engine cover. These covers are all mesh (no solid sheet metal part) and there is no rain shield. That is why a lot of rain water gets on the engine. I get it about the umbrella cover, but that will not help when I am driving. As for the water getting in the cabin; I also have all new 914Rubber seals. We were really careful to make sure that all the seals fit tight against each other. Don't know what else to do other than spray some silicone on all the seal surfaces.

Thanks for the suggestions. Any body else? Any other suggestions??
sb914
Have someone take a hose, preferably with a nozzle,use the "rain" setting while you sit in the cabin to see where the water is coming in. Then Maybe you can "adjust" seal.
And get a stock engine decklid for the wet season, easy to switch out.

rgolia
As an original owner of a 74 I did a lot of driving regardless of weather conditions and I can testify that even when new it could rain in a 914. biggrin.gif
76-914
Slip a dollar bill between sealing surfaces then pull back n forth to feel loose areas. It will take two people to do the side windows. poke.gif Your not supposed to get these in the rain anyway. happy11.gif
DRPHIL914
i was going to suggest a window adjustment? i had to do that so they would go all the way up and actually push into the seal tight- one other thought, : last year i had a lean on a really heavy rain while driving, did not realize that the butly seal was completely dry! only thing holding my window in place was the aluminum trim! i didnt have to cut the seal , just pushed the window right out! and the rear one was slid down about a quarter inch as well- thought the wind noise was the top, it was a gap at top of rear window! i at first had blamed my installation of the front targa seal but it was the window itself.

Phil
BeatNavy
QUOTE(rgolia @ May 21 2018, 04:51 PM) *

As an original owner of a 74 I did a lot of driving regardless of weather conditions and I can testify that even when new it could rain in a 914. biggrin.gif

Ralph, I always remember your advice when I think I should spend even MORE time trying to adjust my windows to get the elusive perfect seal.

Buy one of Perry Kiehl's umbrella covers.
Rand
Any chance you have an early/late top mismatched with early/late door/window seals?

Definitely cover it. Perry's umbrella cover at least.
mepstein
QUOTE(Rand @ May 21 2018, 06:13 PM) *

Any chance you have an early/late top mismatched with early/late door/window seals?

Always a good question to ask.
Front yard mechanic
QUOTE(76-914 @ May 21 2018, 01:31 PM) *

Slip a dollar bill between sealing surfaces then pull back n forth to feel loose areas. It will take two people to do the side windows. poke.gif Your not supposed to get these in the rain anyway. happy11.gif

Only use hundred dollar bills I'll stand on the outside dry.gif
daytona
QUOTE(Rand @ May 21 2018, 06:13 PM) *

Definitely cover it. Perry's umbrella cover at least.

That is an excellent point. How do I tell the difference between an early and an late top???

And that you all for the many good suggestions. I will try them out and report back; hopefully with good results.
Bill.
ConeDodger
There are adjustments to the windows. That won’t do you any good, but I thought you should know... blink.gif
Mikey914
Quick question on the main targa seal area.
Did you also replace the lower?

It’s actually just as important to replace, as it’s 5he second barrier to keeping water out. Many people look at it and it looks fine, but pull it out and flex it. I’d bet it comes apart or you’ll at least find cracks in it allowing water to pass through.

Mark
daytona
To answer Mikey914, yes, I replaced all the seals around the targa top, targa bar, and windshield.

Can someone educate me on the differences between the early and late targa tops?
Thanks,
Bill.
wndsrfr
QUOTE(mb911 @ May 21 2018, 11:36 AM) *

Keeping the distributor dry is the most important thing when ensuring a good starting engine.

More important is to avoid water in your intake causing hydrolock! ! ! I'll do a separate post on that...
mepstein
QUOTE(daytona @ May 22 2018, 07:45 AM) *

To answer Mikey914, yes, I replaced all the seals around the targa top, targa bar, and windshield.

Can someone educate me on the differences between the early and late targa tops?
Thanks,
Bill.

Early has a thin rib running side to side over the targa bar. Late is thick. the different tops have slightly different trim and fit.
daytona
Thanks mepstein,
I'll check to see which targa top I have. It should be a late model.
Bill.
altitude411
pictures to help identify... http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?showtopic=73129
Rand
QUOTE(altitude411 @ May 22 2018, 07:30 PM) *

Bingo. Perfect reply.
Matty900
There is a right and left side for the seal that go on the roof for the top of the windows. If you have them on the wrong side it could let lots of water in
euro911
QUOTE(rgolia @ May 21 2018, 01:51 PM) *
Old Karmann Ghias don't fare much better - dry.gif
daytona
So, as suggested by Rand above I checked my top to determine if early or late. It turns out I haver an early top on a late car (74), with late seals.
I think that I have a late top. So I'll transfer the new top seals if I can.
Thank you Rand for the suggestion and all others who helped, including the link to an old threat that educated me about the differences between early and late top.
Thank you all for the help.
Bill.
altitude411
beerchug.gif 914 World first.gif
daytona
So out of six extra targa tops I have in storage (don't ask I don't know how I accumulated so many), one was a late top. Looks to be in good structural condition, but it is missing the two front latches that lock it down. Will also need a clean up and repaint.
I remember there was a thread about repainting the tops not long ago.
Anyone have two correct late model latches that they want to sell? Please PM me if you do.
Thanks again for all the help.
Bill.
daytona
Are the Targa latches for the early and late targa tops the same?
Thanks.
Bill.
altitude411
Check w/ Bruce for latches (user name bdstone914)
Early and late are different http://74.208.79.43/bbs2/index.php?showtopic=298600

six tops? blink.gif
idea.gif How many front bumpers you got laying around? I just need one.

*Are you talking about front latches? I believe they are same same. use a pair off of your hoard. biggrin.gif

Paint thread. McMark method is first.gif http://914world.com/bbs2/index.php?showtopic=314810
daytona
Thanks Altitude411,
Yes, I am talking about the front latches. Most of the other tops are complete so I have plenty of latches if the early and late are the same.
How many front bumpers????? not that many, only two that are painted.
Thanks for the links also.
Bill.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.