Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: scissor lift
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
porsche-tom
any recommendations on a good scissor lift for a 914? I have a small garage so a 4 post or a 2 post would be to large. Can you drop engine/trans or is there too much in the way?
jkb944t
I have the TD6MR lift from Greg Smith Equip and have been very happy with it.

Click to view attachment

You can find a lot more info here: http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?sho...97663&st=20

Jeff B
BPic
I use the Max Jax 2 - Post. The nice thing about it is it bolts to the floor without studs in the floor. I unbolt the side that's in the middle of the garage and move it to the wall. It has quick disconnects at each post. The one against the wall stays in place and I slide te car over and my wife can park her car in the garage. I dropped the engine by my self by lowering the car without wheels down to a dolly, unbolted the engine and trans and lifted the car. Very easy. They have free shipping also. piratenanner.gif

Click to view attachment
mgphoto
I been using the EZ Car Jack, light weight, very portable and adaptable with available extras.

Click to view attachment
porsche-tom
the max jax looks like a good deal. is the shipping free to your house?(do they unload it for you? how was the install?
Mark Henry
This question comes up every 2-3 weeks.
Elliot Cannon
Scissor lift, furniture dolly, reclining beach chair. A great place to take a nap. biggrin.gif
sdearman
Elliot Cannon, what brand of lift is that Nice deck chair mod :-)
BPic, how wide is your garage? Wondering if that setup might work in mine?
mlindner
BendPak for nine years, love it. This picture is the lift with a cover and car on a dolly on the lift. Just a great tool for our 914's and any thing else. MarkClick to view attachment
Cairo94507
I have to add my 2 cents, on my 2nd BendPak (2 different homes) and they are a great lift and better yet, their customer service has always been outstanding. beerchug.gif
Elliot Cannon
QUOTE(sdearman @ May 22 2018, 11:37 AM) *

My garage isn't exactly a garage. It's actually an enclosed car port. The floor is 17x17.5 feet and the ceiling is only 7 feet high. The ceiling is so low that to raise the car, sometimes the car must be positioned so that the windshield and the targa bar fit between the joists. I can park my 914 over the lift and my wife's BMW sport wagon fits beside it. But just barely. The name on the lift is HANMECSON but I don't think that means much. A lot of these look identical and I believe they are all made in the same town in China by teenagers. biggrin.gif av-943.gif I bought the lift new about 8 years ago for $1000. It works great and I couldn't be without it.
mlindner
Elliot, great looking car and garage. Nice
Jamie
QUOTE(Elliot Cannon @ May 22 2018, 08:34 AM) *

Scissor lift, furniture dolly, reclining beach chair. A great place to take a nap. biggrin.gif

I recognize the Harbor Freight dolly under the chair!
Elliot Cannon
QUOTE(Jamie @ May 22 2018, 06:47 PM) *

QUOTE(Elliot Cannon @ May 22 2018, 08:34 AM) *

I recognize the Harbor Freight dolly under the chair!

I got mine at Shanghai Tool Supply. Same/Same. laugh.gif
BPic
QUOTE(porsche-tom @ May 22 2018, 10:58 AM) *

the max jax looks like a good deal. is the shipping free to your house?(do they unload it for you? how was the install?

I had mine delivered to my business but believe they deliver to houses as well and I don't know if the unload.
Install is easy. I highly recommend using epoxy on the anchors.
BPic
QUOTE(sdearman @ May 22 2018, 02:37 PM) *

Standard 2 car garage. 20 x 20 approx. My car is now on a rotisserie so I spin it sideways to make more room.
JRust
I have a Bend pak Scissor lift & it is awesome. Yes you need to add some runners to get your 914 to clear driving over it. It is easily high enough to pull the motor. I use the harbor freight 1000lb hydraulic table/cart to remove mine. Doesn't get any easier. Raise my lift all the way put cart under. Remove all bolts holding it up & drop that sucker. All the years I spent jacking up the rear end & crawling around on the floor. What a flippin waste of time. This is one of the best possible tools you will ever buy if you work on your car. It has paid for itself many times over int he 7 years I've had it
Justinp71

Anyone buy the harbor freight car lift? Looks very similar to the bendpak, has good reviews too.

https://www.harborfreight.com/automotive-mo...lift-91315.html

mlindner
If I understand it correctly, the smaller Bendpak scissors lifts are also made in China, not the larger two or four post US. So HF may be fine, mine even needed a little grinding to make the safety stop work properly. Mark
ndfrigi
this one looks good and not to pricey.

https://www.eautotools.com/Twin-Busch-TW242A-p/tw242a.htm
Dredwin
QUOTE(Justinp71 @ May 23 2018, 12:46 PM) *

Anyone buy the harbor freight car lift? Looks very similar to the bendpak, has good reviews too.

https://www.harborfreight.com/automotive-mo...lift-91315.html

I got one and have been pretty happy with it. I did have to make a ramp so I could clear the lift though. At the time, I wasn't sure how long I would be in the the house so I wanted a portable one and this one lifts it pretty high (granted I'm not very tall). But it is easy tor roll a chair underneath. If I knew I was going to stay a long time in the house, I'd have purchased the lift from Costco (Max jack? or something like that)

I put the 2x4 on the ramp to stop me from rolling too far forward so i was centered on the lift. I wish the arms were longer though because I tried to use it on a minivan and was unsuccessful because one side had the exhaust that was interfering with one of the lift points. But it works fine for the 914, a prius, and my kids cars (Corolla and Civic).

You will need to put install a end plug to HF lift, one of the reviews gave good advice that I used when picking and installing the electrical.
ned911
I use a Quick Jack. Portable enough I can take to the track otherwise I leave it on the garage floor and park the 914 over it. If you remove the rubber pads it's very easy to drive over.
RangerDick
QUOTE(porsche-tom @ May 22 2018, 07:58 AM) *

MaxJack delivers to the end of your driveway and will get it off the back of the truck for an extra fee. From there, its up to you to get it into the garage. It is delivered with the columns bolted together along with the arms. As a package, I think it weighs about 700 lbs. I have a steep driveway, so MaxJack shipped the unit to the freight terminal and they loaded it into the back of my pickup. I unbolted the package in the truck and then hand unloaded it into the garage. I had to take the cylinders out of the columns to single handed get the columns out. They are about 200 lbs each empty.

Here's a FAQ on this: https://www.maxjaxusa.com/customer-service
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.