Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Hydrolock!
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
wndsrfr
OK, the /4 with ITB's & I added the Honda Goldwing air cleaners to quiet the intake rasp. Parked outside under fabric cover and old poly tarp. Custom lid with same coverage as stock, solid in front protecting ignition but open mesh in back. No rain tray as no room there at all under the lid.
Went to start it & "BANG"--not backfire type sound, solid mechanical "BANG" & no crank beyond that. Hmmm.....pulled the plugs & sure enough, #3 had water on it.....ugh. Went to spin it with the starter & only got starter motor whirr...no cranking. OK, up on the lift, pulled the starter & here's what I fished out of the flywheel housing....
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
Replacement starter installed, engine purrs like it should--whew!
Sooo....in spite of my aversion to the cheap hi-torque starters that chew up the flywheel in favor of the OEM much stronger one, I dodged a cannonball on this one. Be careful out there all you GT clone guys--be sure you have good rain hats on your intakes!!
sithot
QUOTE(wndsrfr @ May 22 2018, 10:36 AM) *

OK, the /4 with ITB's & I added the Honda Goldwing air cleaners to quiet the intake rasp. Parked outside under fabric cover and old poly tarp. Custom lid with same coverage as stock, solid in front protecting ignition but open mesh in back. No rain tray as no room there at all under the lid.
Went to start it & "BANG"--not backfire type sound, solid mechanical "BANG" & no crank beyond that. Hmmm.....pulled the plugs & sure enough, #3 had water on it.....ugh. Went to spin it with the starter & only got starter motor whirr...no cranking. OK, up on the lift, pulled the starter & here's what I fished out of the flywheel housing....
Replacement starter installed, engine purrs like it should--whew!
Sooo....in spite of my aversion to the cheap hi-torque starters that chew up the flywheel in favor of the OEM much stronger one, I dodged a cannonball on this one. Be careful out there all you GT clone guys--be sure you have good rain hats on your intakes!!

Lucky after all of the rain we've had. Buy a lottery ticket!

Hydrolock:

Click to view attachment
Mark Henry
Yep I was going to say "lucky you didn't bend a rod".

Rain hats.
sithot
QUOTE(Mark Henry @ May 22 2018, 11:01 AM) *

Yep I was going to say "lucky you didn't bend a rod".

Rain hats.

agree.gif agree.gif agree.gif
Tdskip
OUCH
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.