Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Front hood with some bubbling worth anything?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Tdskip
Some bubbling but over all pretty solid.

Not sure if it's worth anything and was hoping to get some feedback before I clutter up the classified section...

Are rust free ones readily available?
bdstone914
QUOTE(Tdskip @ May 22 2018, 10:27 AM) *

Not sure if it's worth anything and was hoping to get some feedback before a quarter the classified section...

No rust free ones are not readily available. Most have some issues. I have no good ones.
burton73
QUOTE(bdstone914 @ May 22 2018, 10:29 AM) *

QUOTE(Tdskip @ May 22 2018, 10:27 AM) *

Not sure if it's worth anything and was hoping to get some feedback before a quarter the classified section...

No rust free ones are not readily available. Most have some issues. I have no good ones.

I do have a good one in Inglewood but the PO had a Porsche crest on it. 2 small holes no extra charge

Bob B
aggiezig
It's definitely worth something, just depends on if you're willing to ship or do local only. I sold an "ok" condition hood for around $100 recently.
mepstein
Here on the rusty coast it’s worth some $. Just like front bumpers, a lot of front hoods have crash damage. The exterior looks good but you can see it on the reinforcing ribs.
gandalf_025
I had a horror show trying to find a real nice hood..
Mine had a stone chip that water had gotten under while sitting
for 20 years.
I asked a very well known and respected Pelican member to
Post a wtb for one figuring he was well known and had thousands
of Posts there.. I unfortunately didn’t.
He ended up screwing me and then hand delivered a 50.00
Rusty piece of crap to my body shop because he didn’t want to
Be bothered by this as it took too long. He turned out to be
a real dirtbag..
I ended up getting one myself from a Parts Dealer in Vermont..

So they are out there... 250.00 and I got to look through
About 50 hoods to find this one..

Lesson learned I guess...
Tdskip
Thanks gentlemen. I will wire brush the one I have and then list it, want to make sure there aren’t any surprises for a buyer.

Appreciate the responses.
mepstein
Shipping is a pain but I’ve used foam pipe insulation to protect the edges and made a box with 1x6 and thin plywood. Isn’t cheap to ship but there not making any more of these.
aggiezig
QUOTE(mepstein @ May 22 2018, 02:51 PM) *

Shipping is a pain but I’ve used foam pipe insulation to protect the edges and made a box with 1x6 and thin plywood. Isn’t cheap to ship but there not making any more of these.

Agree, I've done the same myself. Essentially build your own palette. Greyhound will ship it as long as you build the box just below their max sizes.
SirAndy
QUOTE(mepstein @ May 22 2018, 11:36 AM) *
... a lot of front hoods have crash damage ... you can see it on the reinforcing ribs

agree.gif

If the support ribs have wrinkles in them, the hood has been bent before ...
dry.gif
rhodyguy
Factor in the cost and time to build a wooden box. I can't see cardboard getting the job done. I sold a pretty nice one for $100 with local pickup a while back. I don't think GH will accept a pallet or box big enough to handle a hood.
gandalf_025
Part of the nightmare I had was Greyhound lost the hood
During shipping from Florida and then according to the dirtbag,they
Found it again weeks later and he says they wanted him to
Pay storage fees... He told them to shove it and bought a
50.00 hood and delivered it to the body shop.
mepstein
QUOTE(gandalf_025 @ May 23 2018, 10:08 AM) *

Part of the nightmare I had was Greyhound lost the hood
During shipping from Florida and then according to the dirtbag,they
Found it again weeks later and he says they wanted him to
Pay storage fees... He told them to shove it and bought a
50.00 hood and delivered it to the body shop.

I tried greyhoud shipping once. For me, its drive into the city, pay for parking, walk to greyhound, deal with the zombie's who work there. they tell me it's not here. I find the part for them. Carry the part back to car, drive home.

No thanks. There are plenty of shipping companies that will deliver anything and everything to my door.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.