Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Engine rebuild finishing up
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Retroracer
So, finally getting the 2.2l six back together again after some scary cam chain noises happening back in December. Some repair need on the fan shroud (seemed worth salvaging rather than replacing) and should be good to go.

Click to view attachment
Front yard mechanic
Nice where is the like button driving-girl.gif
porschetub
QUOTE(Retroracer @ May 23 2018, 08:23 AM) *

So, finally getting the 2.2l six back together again after some scary cam chain noises happening back in December. Some repair need on the fan shroud (seemed worth salvaging rather than replacing) and should be good to go.

Click to view attachment

Very nice,what was the exact issues with your cam chain,tentioners?.

Retroracer
porschetub - so as best I can make it out, it was a case of old, stretched cam chains and a tolerance stack up on the idler arms / Carrera tensioner combination that caused one of the chains to laterally misalign itself and rub on the casing. Made a hell of noise at the time - which I incorrectly assumed was a failed tensioner - but on pulling the engine and checking, all major components were operating as expected, most importantly, timing had not jumped.

I split the case to confirm the health of the IMS gear - all looked good.

So some adjustment on the tolerancing of the idler arms and fresh chains put in, and we'll see what happens....

- Tony

This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.