Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: V8 Guys..anyone have pics of their heat
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
nine14cats
Hey folks,

On to the other project.

JLO is getting heat and a/c courtesy of Renegade Hybrids. My motor and tranny should be showing up in the next 3 weeks, so I've got to get busy pulling things out of the car and cutting.

Anyone have pics of their heater and / or AC install? Im most interesting in the on/off switching and how everything was plumbed into the cabin (materials, fittings, etc.)

In the next 10 days I should be sawzall-smiley.gif on her beautiful little body.... happy11.gif

Bill P.
neo914-6
PM tessera, he has one.

Doesn't Scott have several full build customers in the Bay Area?
tesserra
Bill, My heater set up is the RH set up installed at Renegade.
The fan switch is cable operated by the original fan lever on the dash.
The amount of heat is controlled by the floor lever operating a watervalve off the motor. Mine runs across the bottom of the car and is strapped to the engine mounting brace.
The only thing I don't think is well thought out is the fresh air opening in front of the windshield is open to the trunk. There should be some sort of cover or I guess you could fabricate something.
If you are ever in the Walnut Creek area I would be happy to show you the car. I don't have a digital to send pics.

George
andys
Does the RH setup have the heater core within the AC unit like many street rods do?

Andy
BIGKAT_83
The AC unit from Renegade that I saw used a underdash econocooler unit for the heat with no defrost.

aircooledboy
Woops, sorry Bill. huh.gif Guess I hosed you on the pics I was gonna send huh? Things have been chaos round here latey, and now I'm down in florida with the crew enjoying a nice tropical storm. laugh.gif I will send you pics when I get home next week. I discovered last week the the way John routed my AC line alows the front right tire to rub on the line in a full stop left turn. The return line has leak in in now. headbang.gif If nothing else, you should probably see where mine are currently, so as not to run into the same problem. confused24.gif

BTW, it sounds like George's is installed much differently than mine.
ewdysar
My RH installed heater is just as George described. It's my understanding that the Rh Heat-A/C unit is a typical hot rod setup, not plumbed to the stock airbox.

My thoughts on each:
Heater only, stock controls - good, heated defrost - good, loss of fresh air to vent system - bad.
Heater-A/C, heat and A/C together can dehumidify your interior and reduce fogging - good, not connected to the defrost vents - bad.

I keep thinking that there's got to be some way to install heat in the stock system including fresh air and then use one of the 914 underdash DI units for air. That way it would look and act like stock.
The trick is how to get waterheated air blowing into the warm air input to the stock airbox. Still thinking...

Eric
nine14cats
Hey guys,

Thanks for the inputs...makes me feel like I'm not alone. laugh.gif

Hi Chris,

No problem, I know how busy it can be. When you get a chance it would be great to see the whole plumbing of your car if you're able to take the time for the shots. I don't want to put you out, but I'm really interested in seeing how RH routed things under the car, in the dash, etc......I've got the same underdash "hot rod" system as you do...I think... blink.gif

Hi George,

It sounds like you have the heater system but not the A/C. The A/C system that RH sold me incorporates the A/C and the heater water lines into the unit. I'll get a better idea of what I have to deal with when it shows up at my house in the next couple of weeks. RH told me they get the unit drop shipped from a competitor of Vintage Air.

My 350 SBC and tall geared 901 should be showing up in the next couple of weeks as well....can't wait to post pics!

Thanks,

Bill P.
andys
Vintage Air catalogs a Slim Line under dash unit with defrost, though I'm not sure of how well it would fit a 914.
http://www.vintageair.com/catalog.asp
Click on page 24

Hot Rod Air (great guys!!) has a real slim under dash unit that looks like it would fit very well in a 914.
http://www.hotrodair.com/pg2a.cfm

Andy
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.